Join our zoo community

ZOO Antwerpen Masterplan Antwerp Zoo

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Marc, 15 Mar 2008.

1. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Antwerp Zoo lies in the middle of the city of Antwerp. The RZSA (Royal Zoological Society of Antwerp) continues to grow and Antwerp Zoo is being extended by 1,5 hectares. Half of the Ommeganckstraat is being demolished and will immediately offer more room for the giraffes and okapis and enable the creation of a savannah biotope. The project will also make the Zoo more easily seen in the surrounding area and can be seen as symbolic for the challenge which the Zoo faces: finding the right balance between a fascinating historic garden which is dear to every inhabitant of Antwerp and Belgium and a modern tourist attraction which will continue to appeal to future generations. KMDA - Koninklijke Maatschappij voor Dierkunde van Antwerpen vzw (English link)

Here are some first impressions of how the new zoo must look like:

(black: new space for girafs, red: okapi's, blue: new entrance zone of the park)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New building for gorilla's and chimps looks special:
    [​IMG]

Pictures thanks to BreBart of the Laafsekikkersforum.be
    I will post some more 'real' pics later.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2008
  2. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Do you know how much acerage will be available for okapi and how many they could house?

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

hi okapikpr,

Regarding okapi numbers: you should think in the order of 1 or 2 males with 3-4 females and their offspring. Along with Rotterdam and perhaps Marwell and Stuttgart these will be the major okapi holding facilities within the EEP.

Regarding dimensions I think Marc is more able to give you further details. I have not seen the plans in greater detail than through scanned images like the one Marc uploaded to the forum.

Perhaps Marc can give us directions to the more detailed Masterplanning report (the okapi and giraffe are just 2 of all other species standing to benefit like the gorillas and chimpanzees - they are fully setting Antwerpen on part Congo rainforest theme ... so that should keep your attention (lol). :D

4. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

These pictures are for so far everything that I've seen about the new project, I don't have more details. I think no one has more details, it's still a well kept secret :). what I do know is that they will enlarge the Okapi exhibit all around the temple where they are now so that they can keep more animals (1 pregnant now:)). They also will create more space for gorilla's and chimps. The elephants will be removed from the Egyptian temple. I think they will not use the temple anymore to house animals, it's too small.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Why oh why the secrecy? Both Artis and Blijdorp in Holland have long way back published their Masterplans for the future till 2015 (sure Burgers is an exception here ... and I do not like that at all).

I did not know that the Egyptian temple will no longer be used for elephants. They do have a new exhibit planned for them though at Antwerpen!

Regarding the elephants: I do find it curious that KMDA wants to keep 2 groups of elephants, both at Antwerpen and at Planckendael. At Planckendael there is plenty more room and I wish they would make that into a themed exhibit space for Asians, Malayan tapirs, babirusas and anoas (+ hornbills and other SE Asian birds).

6. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Yes it's kind of strange. In most zoo's public can see impressions of it, how it will look like. But maybe that's for later when they have definitive plans...Anyway, a lot will hapen in Antwerp coming years :). Plan is that Antwerp will be a sort of 'resthome' for the Indian Elephants, they will keep older animals. In planckendael they will keep younger animals...I think the zoo only wants to keep elephants because they're still a 'eyecatcher' in each park.

7. Kifaru Bwana

What I have seen and heard myself of the plans historic Antwerpen Zoo will have a complete overhaul and will now concentrate on themed exhibits (like the Hippo Pools, the Lions, the Spectacled Bears and stuff. I am particularly looking forward to developments with the new Congo Okapi exhibit and African savannah theme with giraffe as the public's mega profile.

What I glean from your words is that regarding the elephants: both matriarch Khaing Phyo Phyo and Yu Yu Yin along with daughter May Tagu will leave for Planckendael in 2009 (or was it 2010) to enter the new elephant conservation center (complete with bull holding facility)? Or is female matriarch Dumbo (at 34 without any live offspring or successful mating with Alex) also travelling there? :confused:

8. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

They still have a lot of plans. The congo and savannah biotope will come for sure but they used to have plans for a indoor rainforest exhibit. Anyway, it's all that I know :). I will post it for sure if I know more. Don't know if there are already concrete plans for the elephants. We'll see :)...

9. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I was in Antwerp last year I was told Dumbo would go with the breeding herd to Plankendahl if they continued to come along with each other well. She has bonded with now pregnant Khaing Phyo Phyo very well and it wouldn`t do any good to seperate her from the herd.

I am very dissapointed that Antwerp wants to continue with elephants; they just don`t have the space to keep so many large species like giraffes, okapis, gorillas, chimps AND elephants in the small city zoo.

10. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Yes but that's why they're busy to enlarge the park. Maybe they will surprise us...I know they will use the new available space very good and carefuly. We'll see.

11. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

12. Kifaru Bwana

Fine, so the Congo great ape exhibit is final. I suppose they will bet on African mammals at Antwerpen Zoo. Chimps and gorillas and some way involved with in situ conservation in Congo or Gabon and the anti-bushmeat trade.

What about this rainforest habitat? It is now off .... what was it initially?
    Regarding the babirusas and anoas: will they stay at Antwerpen Zoo or return to Planckendael once new Sulawesi exhibit is built? :confused:

13. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

I agree spilting up the herd won't do much good at all if the herd is moving to Plankendahl whatever i think they should all go together because the exhibit is just too small

14. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't think that picture is the final design, it's just an impression from the wining architects to show how they feel about the future of the zoo.
    I guess there's 99% chance the final enclocures will be something completely different.

Nothing has decided yet neither about the animals nor about the enclosures.

Antwerp Zoo is communicating very poorly comparing to the Dutch zoos.

15. dragon(ele)nerd

I do remember last time i checked that Antwerp was in Belgium but i guess you can refer it to dutch zoo because they speak over there. But anyway yes i agree that Antwerp is doing pretty bad. At first in the 1990's the exhibits were attractive of what i read but it doesn't compare well with the other zoos that have built new state of the art exhibits.

16. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I only wanted to say that belgium's Antwerp Zoo comparing to the Dutch zoos is communicating very poorly about their new developments. This refering to Jelle's remark on the Dutch zoos in post # 5.

I think also that the exibits at Antwerp zoo now are far more attractive than in the early 90's (hippo pool, vriesland, birdhouse, reptile house, nocturnal house, all have been renovated in a excellent way). It is true that the zoo lack the impressive installations of some Dutch zoos but that's another discussion.

So, given their problems (little space, momumental garden) Antwerp is doing very well last couple of years, except for communication.

17. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Philipine talks about the communication of the Antwerp Zoo. That's bad, true. But I think the zoo doing great efforts to make the exhibits better. Now you already have some beautiful projects like vriesland, hippotopia, bear exhibit, renovation of the reptile building, renovation of the aquarium, himalaya biotope, renovation of the nocturama, new lion exhibit in 2008...I think they're doing well...

18. dragon(ele)nerd

So what your saying is that they are bad now but they are trying to make it better? (just making sure)

19. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

No :), in the early 90's there were a lot of bad exhibits, that's a fact. But since 1998 they started to invest more and more in new projects. You can't compare the Antwerp zoo in 1990 and in 2008.
    There still are bad points like in every park but they can't do everything in the same time of course :). Anyway you should make a visit :).

20. dragon(ele)nerd

I'd love to but i live in Australia check my profile. Do apologise for trying to be smart.

W E SCHMIDT likes this.