Join our zoo community

ZOO Antwerpen Masterplan Antwerp Zoo

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Marc, 15 Mar 2008.

1. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Yeah I saw you live in Australia :), it's not impossible :). I also would love to go there mmm! Must be great!

2. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Your are right i it isn't impossible but next holiday will probably to Hong Kong and my parents will probably only go like last time.

3. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Antwerp Zoo

Several decades ago , there was a TV series shown in NZ called "Great Zoos of the World " or some similar title .
    I was disappointed that it was a relatively short series ( I think 10 zoos in all )
    But Antwerp Zoo made it on the programme , despite it being in a somewhat cramped position .

I was impressed with the aerial photo of part of Antwerp Zoo on our gallery .

It seems to do well with what resources it has , if the photo is any indication .

Would it be the best known zoo in Belgium ?

To compare it with Netherlands zoos would be to compare NZ and Australian zoos . Different countries , different issues

I wish Antwerp Zoo all the best for its future plans .

4. dragon(ele)nerd

wow Antwerp is considered a great zoo there must be some hidden beauty i'm not seeing. Melbourne zoo is a beautiful zoo it isn't massive but the exhibits are very exotic the only other one in australia that i've gone to is Taronga zoo they exhibits have a great vibe to them i can't really explain what it is but the exhibits are good.

The best zoo i have gone to is probably Singapore zoo the elephant exhibit isn't the best thing in the world but the exhibits are very roomy and have lots of things the animals would naturally access. Such as certain plants and the right type of mud. Again i can't find the right word for it but it looks like the animals are naturally there. They also keep rare exotic species like the false Gharial.

5. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member

If you're not seeing it then you haven't been there...

It's an impressive and very old zoo, it breathes the atmosphere of old and not very many zoo's (still) do. Having said that, they improved a lot the last decade and the Zoo is beginning to position itself between the best in Europe, with only a minimum of bad exhibits and a multitude of very good ones.

Add to it an impressive array of architecture and gardening and you have yourself a very fine zoo indeed...

@Nigel: As far as "best known" in Belgium, it'll be FAAAAAAAAR ahead of any other Zoo in Belgium bare perhaps Planckendael. Due to every possible reason thinkable (education, history, commercials, TV-shows...etc).

That's not to say it's the best zoo in Belgium, because there's a serious contender (coming up very strongly recently) in Parc Paradisio...

It's easy for everyone to compare it to Dutch zoo's, because there's a lot of similarities between them and there's not much in Belgium to compare it to. (Imo relatively small) Political differences aside, i don't really see why you can't compare them...

6. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yes you are right Nigel, it was called "Great zoos of the world", other zoos in the series were, London, Frankfurt, San Deigo, I think Cologne zoo was another one, :D

7. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Wich photo do you mean? It's certainly the best known zoo in Belgium. Our country already is small and the Antwerp Zoo is the only 'real' ZOO for me :). It's the oldest one, everyone knows it and everyone has been there who lives in Belgium I think.

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

there's a good book called "Great Zoos of the World" (from 1980, editor Lord Zuckerman), maybe the book of the tv series?

9. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

The TV series was made around 1970 and was a good look into some of the major zoos of its time, maybe someone could do a NEW series of todays top zoos :cool:

10. dragon(ele)nerd

Would any of you guys be able to describe Planckendael zoo exhibits in more detail?

11. dragon(ele)nerd

That would be a prize wouldn't it? I wonder what are the top ten zoos in the world i know that Singapore is 3rd in the world.

12. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Why is Singapore zoo number 3 ?

13. dragon(ele)nerd

I did ask my uncle that when i visited him in singapore but he gave me no specific reason. I personally belive singapore is such a high ranked zoo because of its high breeding rate, exotic exhibits, facilities and educationa; value.

14. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I don't think that it's possible to rank zoos like that. They all have their good and their bad things.

15. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

??? When was your last visit to Antwerp, if you did visit it at all???

Antwerp Zoo is very busy to modernize their exhibits. Yes, some are old, but that's obvious since the zoo is founded in 1843. But most of the exhibits are very good, and with the new expansions they can build even better ones.

Antwerp Zoo is a typical city garden with much monumental buildings. Some are very old (like the aviarium of 1846), some are new or renewed (the reptiles house). Some are beautiful (the "Temple" with elephants and girafs), some are ugly (the apes house). But can you find a zoo - anywhere else on this planet - who has not bad, and/or ugly exhibits? The hippos in Antwerp has a very large pond, the monkeys are roaming a very nice house. The okapis are getting a new larger exhibit, etc.

If you want to compare Antwerp Zoo with another one, you must come to Amsterdam. But I must say that the zoo of Amsterdam is a lot more attractive. Both zoos however are old and surrounded by the city.

The zoo is owned by the Royal Society of Zoology of Antwerp (KMDA in Dutch). The KMDA also owns the zoo Planckendael near Mechelen. This zoo has a famous group of bonobos. In the future the elephants of Anwerp will come to Planckendael and Antwerp only will keep some older females in a new to build exhibit.

About the language: Belgium has three official languages; Dutch, French and German. Antwerp is located in Flandres, and the offical language there is Dutch.

16. dragon(ele)nerd

I didn't but my uncle said that they advertised it on the brochure.

17. dragon(ele)nerd

I haven't gone their like i said before but i was just trying to expand on what others said. Sorry if i seem like a smartass.

18. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

19. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some pictures of the masterplan that was explained today... :)

20. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Gorilla Gust, could you talk us throught the couple you have posted?