Join our zoo community

ZOO Antwerpen Masterplan Antwerp Zoo

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Marc, 15 Mar 2008.

1. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

I was invited to the presentation, but didn't make it. So i will try to say based on the things i hear now.

(left under)
    The entrence will be moved further "in" the park, and there will be a kiosk and a zone were everybody can go in the zoo, without paying. (probably without any animals i think).

(left up)
    The monkeyhouse and exhibits will be totaly renewed. Normaly they will be build in several floors. Above on the plan you see the old 'little mammalhouse, that will be used for Afropavo congensis birds.

(middle up)
    There we see a whole new zoo, mostly for the Okapi's and other, and to the middle we find the Girafs there final exhibits. And in the right corner we find a whole new exhibit for the Elephantgroup that the zoo will held in the future (male's probably). The presentgroup will go to Planckendael.

The egypt temple will be a monument without any animal

(Right)
    There we see the old birds of prey cage's that will be moved to the "cattlehouse" (i don't think that is the correct english word, but my english is not so very good)... that should be a new dinnerplace...

Also there will come a place for the summerplants...

That is wat is been showed on the map...
    The rest is going to change also a bit (big cats mostly)

2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I gathered you didn't but thought you would be best to tell us what you heard for these plans

Thanks, some of it now makes sense.

3. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I think these impressions are looking very good! So the enlargement of the giraf exhibit this winter is still something temporary?

4. Trebaruna

Trebaruna Well-Known Member

Yes the enlargement of the giraffeenclosure (by adding the anoaenclosures) is temporary. The enlargements at the okapis is so as well. These 2 species are the only ones that still have to little space according to belgian/european legislation. Thats why they are enlarged quicky now (they'll definately will not get an award for best looking exhibit ;)), and in a couple of years (when time and money is available) they all get new, larger, better looking enclosures.

5. brongracz

brongracz Active Member

Hey. I am looking for a plan of the zoo for the purpose of an architectural master project. I consulted the Zoo, Felixarchief, Onroerend Erfgoed Provincie Antwerpen. All of them claimed that they cannot provide it for me. Does anybody possess sth that could be helpful. (I do not mean the zoo folder) Even a better quality picture of the master plan would be helpful.
    bronATgraczDOTpro