Join our zoo community

Zoo Leipzig Matadi the Lion (?)

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Jacobea, 26 Apr 2009.

1. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

I was trawling through wiki looking for some old fashioned lion images, and came across a photo of a very handsome lion called Matadi, in Leipzig Zoo (so wiki says :rolleyes: ). It was an old photo, taken in 2001, but I'm curious to know more about him, if anyone knows anything :)

File:p l Bleyenberghi 1.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

2. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

"Matadi" was born at September 28th, 2001 at Lisboa Zoo, Portugal. He came to Leipzig in 2003 together with 2 female lions, "Kimbali" and "Luena". "Kimbali" died, the other one, "Luena", is still living at Leipzig, but is getting permanent contraception, because she did not raise her children and the only cub, that survived and beeing handraised, "Malik" at Chemnitz Zoo, is suffering from eye cataract.

"Matadi" is a very beautiful lion, but in my opinion he will never be able to breed in Leipzig again.

3. Jacobea

Good to know he's still alive, but that's a shame about him not breeding again (probably) :(

Wiki says he's a subspecies (though I suppose there isn't a genetic difference, and I know lions arn't that endangered), but wouldn't it make sense to swap him with a less fertile male anyway, or to import another lioness? It seems such a waste, especially if Leipzig has the facilities to support a pride.

4. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems unpossible to import new angola lions from africa... All angola lions in europe are relatives from "Matadi" and "Luena"....

5. Jacobea

Pity :( His subspecies iss certainly better looking than whatever species of lion the likes of Longleat keep.

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Which is zoo or safari park bred hybrids!!!!!!!!

7. IceQueen

IceQueen Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There's one Angola lion not related to the Lisbon related animals, the previous male from Rotterdam Zoo (Azlan). He lives in Burgers Zoo. They did a DNA test on him a few years back with Angola lion as a result. (he is a beautiful lion btw). I don't know why they don't mix him with the lions descended from the Lisbon Angola lions. Maybe because they are too inbred already? Just a thought.

Matadi is a beautiful lion, wonderfull to portrait on photographs, but I don't think it would be wise to breed with him with another female, because of the inbreeddefaults of Malik.

8. Jacobea

I guess there are too many lions in Europe (and they arn't endangered enough-yet) to import some more of this particular subspecies?

I can understand when people say there is no point as they are all gentically simliar (or the same), but surely it's better to preserve the geographical differences between lions rather than have one generic, "hybrid" sort?

9. CindelP

CindelP Well-Known Member

I have no idea of how (and if!) inbreed are Lisbon Lions, but the Zoo states that all their lions (11 , with two adult males and some more newborn cubs) were all born there.
    So, I would really like to see their pedigrees and studbooks.

Concerning the Angolan Lions. If Lisbon are a pure sub-species and if there's a chance to keep them pure and viable, why not?
    And if that mean to import/export some, I see no problem.

I agree that there are a over-population of Lions in captivity and that there are easily bred, but a sub-species it's a worth it!

10. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

For all of you who are interested in the import of African lion subspecies I suggest that you read the post I have written here in the topic regarding Ree Park in Denmark.

11. Chali

Chali Well-Known Member

Matadi didn't arrived together with both females. Kimberly arrived a few month later.
    At first, Lisboa didn't want to send two females to Leipzig, so only Luena arrived together with Matadi.

Kimbali is the sister of the male Bono in Halle.