Join our zoo community

Meerkat Diet

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by andrewsion, 24 May 2015.

1. andrewsion

andrewsion Member

Hi everyone.

As many of you know, we have a pair of meerkats coming up to 8 weeks old. they are doing great and are nearly ready to say hello to their new home. they are currently eating wet cat food and some other paste like foods such as pate and ham etc. im looking for advice on what kind of diet should they be eating now and what reccomendations people have from their expirience. like i said they are doing great but i want to open their diet more widely now and start to get a diet plan together so all help is great.

2. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't have any experience, but they should be fed live Mealworms and Crickets, amongst other things.

3. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Macaw16, have you ever had any experience caring for meerkats? If not, best not to comment when you aren't certain.

4. arafan

arafan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't really have experience with meerkats but as I know they really like to eat insects they also don't mind a raw egg or a dead chick, in some zoos they also eat banana or any other fruit.

5. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Reptile Boy97

Reptile Boy97 Active Member

We have a group of five meerkats at our college. They are fed a varied diet which often includes a mix of waxworms, mealworms, locusts and crickets in the morning and then in the afternoon they will get either a chick or a mouse each. They also occasionally get a tray of mixed veg in the morning feed, but not an awful lot of this is eaten

7. meg4213

meg4213 New Member

Meerkats are omnivorous, so require a varied diet. We feed ours a mixture of fruit and veg in the morning with cats biscuits or peanuts, insects at midday (mealworms, waxworms, crickets or hoppers), and a protein rich meal at the end of The day, such as chicks, mice and occasionally beef chunks.
    They may occasionally get bread, too. Since yours are young the food will need to be cut up small so they don't choke!
    Hope this helps

8. andrewsion

andrewsion Member

Thanks everyone for your advice. the diet they are currently fed on is varied so thats good. Im glad we are feeding as much correctly as possible.

Thanks