Join our zoo community

Meerkats as pets

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Pertinax, 5 Nov 2009.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can you buy meerkats nowadays on the open market i.e. from dealers or pet shops? They are so popular nowadays it wouldn't surprise me- I'd like to add I have no wish to buy any...just interested to know.

2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

3. Dawn B

Dawn B Well-Known Member

Yes you can buy them very easily, I was offered a pair a couple months ago for peanuts! They have to be kept in groups, but then of course they breed very easily! They dont make good pets, they do best as they should be, wild and in family groups.

4. Reevesie

Reevesie Well-Known Member

:eek: I never knew that you could buy a meerkat as a pet

5. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

you dont need a license, you can keep almost enything wid one,

but the meerkat trade started off becoz of meerkat manor+compare the meerkat.com

6. JerseyLotte

JerseyLotte Well-Known Member

No. They have been available as exotic pets in smallish numbers for many years already and I've not seen any increase in interest so I think Meerkat Manor and Comparethemeerkat can be exempt from blame ;)

7. EvilKittie

=) ive noticed it in my area, not sure down south (cornwall, devon, Jersey) but i think the adverts had kids asking parents "can i have a meerkat" etc... and that story.

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

actually they make good pets for the very reason that they ARE social animals. If you have one pet meerkat then you become its family group, same as with any other social pet such as a dog or parrot.

9. EvilKittie

that is a true point, but am sure a few other members might agree with me, its better to have a natural bonding (meerkat+meerkat) than a unnatural (meerkat+man) while why do we complain about this, since they have used meerkats/mongooses for many years in Africa to catch venomous snakes

10. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. But you need to be able to spend a lot of time with them. I guess they make very similar pets to dogs on a lot of levels really.

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that's the whole point really, when it comes down to it, if the meerkat is a pet (as the thread title says) and it is kept singly then the owner needs to spend as much time as possible with it to give it an acceptable life, just as with the examples of dog or parrot. Unfortunately, owners rarely do, and the dog is restricted to a kennel all day alone and the parrot is stuck in a little cage all day alone.

Ideally meerkats being kept privately should be in social groups so thye can keep each other occupied, but in that case they're not really pets any more than the ones in zoos are.

I do always find it interesting that people get so het up about "wild" animals being kept as "pets" (ie by private owners) but not a word is spoken about the atrocious conditions that many other species such as rabbits or hamsters are kept in. Relatively few "wild" animals are kept privately and many of those keepers are very dedicated, often providing better conditions than in the zoos.

12. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You could also blame Disney. If it weren't for The Lion King then no one would even know what a meerkat is and they definatley wouldn't be as popular as they are. :)

13. EvilKittie

thought that was a mongoose at first but its eyes!

14. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

A Meerkat is a mongoose. ;)

15. EvilKittie

ye but i thought it was like a banded mongoose not Suricata Suricatta

16. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

i think the lion king has actually had a good influence. It was part of what sparked my interest in animals.