Join our zoo community

Melbourne Aquarium Melbourne Aquarium

Discussion in 'Australia' started by snowleopard, 18 May 2008.

1. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

It would appear they have bred some baby Gentoo Penguins this season I hope they breed a few baby King Penguins too

2. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

3. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No they go home at 6.00pm and return at 6.00am. They get weekends off.

4. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

ha ha very funny boof :p, what I should have said is, will they be there for a certain period of time (months, years) and then be moved on to the wild or another aquarium? or is this too distant in the future to contemplate.

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

There were three chicks when I was there three weeks ago, and another hen was sitting on a nest right by the front window. I couldn't see if she was on an egg because she refused to move, despite being quite upset by the other penguins removing stones from her nest from behind her where she couldn't reach them with her beak. So there may be more on the way.

:p

Hix

6. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I asked this at the aquarium a couple of weeks ago, and there is no plans for them to move on. I can't recall exactly which species they are, but it's one of the smaller hammerhead species. In essence, the aquarium is planning ahead for the death of the last grey nurse shark, Mitchell. The hope, I'm sure, is that the hammerheads will be approaching full-size by the time that happens.

I haven't contributed to this thread before, but as this is my home aquarium and I am there at least once a month (often a couple of times a week), I feel well qualified to comment.

The Melbourne Aquarium is not a world-class aquarium. It is probably only the third-best aquarium in Australia (after the Sydney Aquarium and the Shark Bay complex at Sea World). Yes, it is disappointing when its young age and the overall quality of visitor attractions in Melbourne is considered.

I do feel, however, that it is unfair to compare it to Monterey Bay or Georgia Aquarium. This happens a whole lot on this forum - if something is not the very best in the world, it appears that in some quarters this means that the place does not deserve to be judged on its own merits. It irks me because the logical culmination of this point is that there should only be a tiny handful of zoos and aquaria around the world.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

they are scalloped hammerheads (Sphyrna lewini), which are a common coastal species and grow up to about 4m in length. According to this article Four new hammerhead sharks call Melbourne Aquarium home | Herald Sun the ones the Melbourne Aquarium have are three juveniles (length not stated) and a 1.7m one. There is a video of the sharks on that link too. They look fantastic.

And I agree with CGSwans comments re the Melbourne Aquarium above. Its not the biggest or best, but I thought it was great. As I implied somewhere earlier in the thread, the small=bad/big=good mentality of some members is an annoyance.

8. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

In reality, some of the smallest zoos can be the best. They have an atmosphere that many of the bigger zoos can't mimic.

9. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

hammerheads would make a great display animal.

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

No, it's not worldclass, and the coral gallery has a lot of unused space. This could certainly have been done better. But still, they offer a great collection, that makes up for what they are lacking. And the oceanarium certainly makes up for what they are missing.

11. ymfoster

ymfoster Member

Hi Everyone, :D

I was at the Aquarium for the second time on Tuesday & just loved the penguins & all the other attractions, it's a great fascination for children to see the larger sharks & rays up close.

We were disappointed we couldn't find a way to get closer to the Hammerheads though, we could only find a small viewing window a fair way above them & couldn't get any reasonable photos of them, :(
    I hope they are able to at least keep a couple of them permanently.

Yvonne

12. Chlidonias

Do you mean because they were still in the acclimatisation bag rather than in the tank itself? In the video I linked to in post #47 it says that the larger hammerhead should be in the main tank by Christmas but the juveniles would stay in the acclimatisation bag for longer until they were big enough to go safely into the main tank. Theoretically the big shark *should* have been in the main tank when you visited.

13. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They tried releasing the biggest one into the tank proper before Christmas, but it too distressed by the grey nurse and sandbar whalers. I suspect that at this point they're not quite sure what to do.

14. Chlidonias

ah, that's a shame. So they are all still in the bag then?

15. ymfoster

ymfoster Member

Hi Chlidonias, :)

Yes they were in the bag (enclosure of large white netting),
    thanks for explaining that, it seems the move down here has been very stressful for them as I read elsewhere one of the babies has died. :(

The other Sharks would be intimidating to them for sure, ....... I hope they do settle & we can have some here permanently, but not if they are going to be too stressed & die :(

Yvonne

16. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I went to the Aquarium today and was only able to see one Hammerhead in the large tank. He was probably 2m or less and was hard to get a good look at. He kept bellow or above the windows where he could, and behind obstacles, and was always moving faster than any of the other sharks. I don't know where the other 3 are, and I think a lot of people would not even notice there was a Hammerhead in the tank.

I went with my wife and kids and was only there about 2 hours and did not rush. I was disappointed with how little there was to see for the price. Even though the girl on the ticket desk let our 3 yo through with no charge it still cost $85 for the other 2 children and 2 adults.

I thought the Penguins were the best exhibit of the whole show.

17. ymfoster

ymfoster Member

Hi Monty, :)

I bet the children enjoyed the visit, .... the Penguins were certainly fascinating, especially at feed time.

It sounds like they have kept one Hammerhead & it still seems to be stressed from your description, I hope it settles in better.

Hope the others returned safely to their original home also.

Yvonne

18. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

He definitely seemed more nervous of open spaces and windows than the other sharks, but he is a bit smaller. Have the other 3 been sent elsewhere.

The penguins were the kids favourites.

We were all a little worn out after 3 days in Melbourne. Drove down Friday and spent all afternoon at the Museum, which is very good and value for money. Wedding at the treasury building in the city before lunch Saturday and the afternoon at the reception.
    Sunday morning at the Aquarium before driving home.

19. ymfoster

ymfoster Member

Hi Monty,

Sounds like you had a very busy time in Melbourne.

I don't know if the others were sent back up North, but assume so.

We spent the day on Friday at the Flower & Garden Show & were worn out also, so know the feeling :)

Yvonne

20. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I was there last December and also thougt the penguin exhibit was good. The rest of the aqurium, while well done, I found to be rather dark in most places, and the perspex on most enclosures was badly scratched. I might not have noticed it that much, but when trying to take photos every scratch and all the dimmed areas become really apparent.

Hix