Join our zoo community

Melbourne Aquarium Melbourne Aquarium

Discussion in 'Australia' started by snowleopard, 18 May 2008.

1. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My wife went to the garden show, so the kids and I went to the Museum.
    We were there 5 hours and did not nearly cover everything there was to see.
    Sunday we planned to go to the zoo for the day, but our car started overheating when stopped at red lights on the way down, so we went to the Aquarium as we were staying about 100m from the front door and could leave the car at the hotel car park.

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I agree it's to expensive, but that's also the case with the sydney aquarium.

But, the collection makes up for that, doesn't it? And, the advantage of the melbourne aquarium, when it's crowded, you don't feel crushed, since the spaces for the visitors are not as cramped as in the sydney aquarium.

3. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

We visited the Melbourne Aquarium over the weekend, as we had discounted tickets from one of those daily deals websites. Marine animals aren't really our bag, but we had a great time over the 2 hours we spent there.

We did the 'Access All Areas Tour Gold' ($20pp in addition to entry fees) and that was a fun way to spend half our time there. The tour guide stopped and chatted at a few locations about the various animals, and we got to go behind the scenes where they prepare the fish food and SCUBA tanks etc.

The highlight of the tour was feeding the 2m wide sting rays. Well, we didn't actually feed them by hand, but the guide fed them and we were right next to her. We took a glass-bottom boat ride over the Oceanarium and threw food pellets to the waiting fish, which was cool.

Overall, the tour doesn't rank high on the list of the best animal encounters, but what can you expect for $20pp in Melbourne? So in that respect, I think that we got our money's worth, and if you are visiting the aquarium any way, then I recommend that you might as well pay a little extra to leave with a little extra. I think that if we visit again, I would definitely have to do the helmet walk!

4. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

0.0.4 Gentoo Penguins have hatched

5. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So there's been a bit of news on the Melbourne Aquarium front that hasn't been mentioned yet.
    First off is the opening of a new exhibit (or more likely the redevelopment of an older one) called Seahorse Pier. Their website says that it holds the largest collection of seahorse and seadragon species in the world.
    Seahorse Pier | Explore | Melbourne Aquarium - Amazing Worlds to Discover
    And secondly, a king penguin chick has hatched. This is an Australian first breeding.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1797705121.276421.187092760121&type=1&theater

Has anyone visited recently? It would be interesting to hear a zoochatter's opinion of the new exhibit.

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The aquarium is to receive a AU$8 million upgrade which will see the aquarium relaunched as part of the sealife chain.
    Upon reopening in September 2013, the new Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium will feature 12 new zones with hundreds of new species, including the world’s largest collection of seahorses. It will join 44 other Sea Life centres around the world.

Major revamp for Melbourne Aquarium

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!! Please, merlin, don't do anything to the Melbourne aquarium! Isn't it enough you've messed up sydney aquarium, wildlife world and manly?!?

8. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree here, as I think Merlin could probably improve Melbourne Aquarium greatly, as they have improved Kelly Tarlton's in Auckland, New Zealand.

In contrast, I would definitely agree that they have messed up Sydney Wildlife World, although I will reserve judgement on the Aquarium until I see it, on prevous visits I found the aquarium to be somewhat disappointing.

Interestingly, the senior curator of Merlin's Australasian operations has previously been curator of both Kelly Tarlton's and Melbourne Aquarium, so hopefully the species diversity can be maintained (and even increased) in these aquariums in the future.

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have seen the pictures, I can tell you they definitely messed it up! Because that's all they can, mess things up. I don't want another seahorse kingdom, not antoher 'bay of rays'! I want nice and spectacular aquariums, not an exhibit with curved glass that gives a normal person a headache! I want to see the inhabitants properly, why does Merlin insist on doing the opposite?

10. zooboy28

Massive Saltwater Croc Moves In

New addition to the aquarium. Which has now opened a pile of new zones (mostly renovated existing zones) and will be relaunching as Sea Life on 21 September.

Story & Photo here: Pinjarra the 750kg saltwater crocodile retires to Melbourne Aquarium - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

11. FriendOfTheZoo

FriendOfTheZoo Well-Known Member

12. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone know where in the aquarium this exhibit is? I was thinking it might be a renovation of the freshwater crocodile and lagoon exhibits but this looks like a major overhaul.

13. zooboy28

It sounds like the aquarium has been getting a pretty major overhaul. Some friends of mine visited a couple of months ago, and I asked what they thought of the lagoon with the freshwater sharks and the model plane, and they said that part was all blocked off, so that's where I reckon he is. I'm not sure where else he could be.

14. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I hope the freshwater sharks will still be there? What has Merlin ruined until now? Please, I want to know..... I have seen what they did to the Sydney Aquarium, I hope Melbourne will not undergo the same horrible fate......

15. Jabiru96

16. Jabiru96

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the coral atoll tank was closed off when I was there unfortunately. Looking at the photo on that article -- are those all fake corals??

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Apparently..... Another great exhibit ruined. Damn you Merlin!

19. Jabiru96

20. Jabiru96