Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo Developments

Discussion in 'Australia' started by patrick, 8 Jan 2006.

1. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

i dont have one sorry, they dont hand out maps, you can find it on google earth pretty easy,

2. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

I'm always amazed by Zoo's that don't have maps on their websites... A great map can give a feel for a zoo and excite a person to attend, case in point Maimi Metro Zoo - one of the best maps I've seen on the internet...

Miami Metro Zoo - Interactive Zoo Map

Don't you get a complete feel from this map which causes you to call your travel agent..?

3. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I love that map. I want to go, just to see their storm's stork and Black necked storks.

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Jo we have black necked storks around here as locals

5. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Oh you lucky things!! Well we have okapis!!

6. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Ok Jo rub it in ,go on rub away LOL

7. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

You don't seem to hear much about Miami Metro Zoo, however they must be one of the few zoos to exhibit African and Asian Elephant, Gorilla, Orang utan and Chimpanzee..? Plus are scheduled for development...

Getting back on topic, can anyone answer my question re. Stories of the Sea (Melbourne) vs. GSO (Taronga) co-ordination program..?

8. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

melbourne takes in rescued fur seals (afro-australian and sub-antarctic) from the wild. only one animal has ever been born at the zoo (she's still there) and they no longer have a mature male as he died a few years ago now.

as far as i know the zoo wisely have no plans to develop a breeding program as the wild will no doubt continue to offer orphans for display. i know nothing of what tarongas plans are. they seem to have taken on too many species as far as i can tell, but the only truly endangered ones are the leopard and australian sea lions (which adelaide and seworld also keep).

as for elephants at werribee i have only heard that its been discussed as an option for holding surplus bulls..... if i say anything more i'll get into another classic elephant rage.

9. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone know when stories of the sea will open?

10. boddyboy

boddyboy New Member

The baboons exhibit get update this year some time soon

11. boddyboy

boddyboy New Member

It opens up early 2010

12. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

So are the baboons staying at Melbourne, or are they being shipped off to the "too hard basket" (i.e. Werribee)?

13. boddyboy

boddyboy New Member

there staying at Melbourne zoo the exhibit is getting a make over sometime this year only reason they have not update yet is because the baboons are hardy animals and can live in any environment just like in the wild.

14. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I realise that this thread hasn't been added to in more than three years but it seems like the most obvious place to discuss what the bottom right hand corner of zoo will include once it is renovated. I've heard an education precinct but that could entail anything. I would like to see a conservation themed exhibit area. There are a lot of species around the zoo (some that were already in this area before the renovations started) that Zoos Victoria participate in conservation programs for. Tree Kangaroos in Papua New Guinea, beads for wildlife, threatened local species like honeyeaters and eastern barred bandicoots, and the wipe and wash for wildlife campaigns are examples of some of their works that have temporary displays around the zoo but could do with permanent exhibits to advertise them. And around each display could be a few exhibits to tie them. This way they could still exhibit the random assortment of species that they already hold and if the exhibits are multipurpose enough than the species could change with the campaigns.

15. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Melbourne Zoo is sending 200 Lord Howe Island Stick insect eggs over to Budapest, making them the first overseas zoo to join the breeding program.

16. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Budapest, why there? Are they able to be returned to Lord Howe yet?

17. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure, but Melbourne might get some more coatis if Budapest has them?

18. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

what? Where does that come from? You shouldn't just post blind guesses, Jabiru, it invariably ends up confusing others. (I don't mean that to sound harsh or rude btw, just an observation)

19. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

I suspect that Jabiru forgot to insert a smilie, because I think he was joking around. Remember, Melbourne Zoo has coatis up the wazoo at the moment; sending stick-insects to Budapest of all places sounds weird and probably an MZ folly, so joking around that they will get coatis in return seems logical.

Or, I could be totally wrong..... :confused:

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

well whichever way he meant it at least now he has an 'out' with your post ;)