Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo - Great Flight Aviary

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nanoboy, 19 Jun 2011.

1. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

I have been to the Great Flight Aviary at the Melbourne Zoo a couple times in the last week, and I was wondering how come the Red Tailed Black Cockatoo (male) is so friendly.

He sticks around on the ledge near the exit and allows everyone to pat him. Maybe he is an abandoned pet, or maybe he is just really sociable? Anyone knows his story?

Cheers.

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

I noticed this as well. I saw some other red tailed black cockatoos who hung around him but still stayed away from the public, while he was on the railing enjoying pats by the public and I believe he said a few words.

3. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

Adelaide's red-tailed black cockatoo in the wetland aviary is the same, always coming up to whoever visits. Maybe he was hand raised but I'm not sure.

4. nanoboy

Yeah, we went to the zoo on Sunday for half an hour specifically to interact with him. He really relishes the attention, and if he didn't like being patted, he could just fly off.

I think that's the most animal interaction that you can get at Melbourne Zoo, unless you count the ever-present seagulls!!

5. normaeinstein

normaeinstein Active Member

He's only really started doing this recently. He used to stay up near the cassowary section before with another black cockatoo.

6. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was thinking this must be a new black cockatoo? I haven't had much time in recent months to visit the zoo. I've watched one male red-tailed interacting with a keeper, but never seen one engaging visitors.

7. normaeinstein

He may be new, or maybe the other red tail died and this one has become lonely and is seeking out company. The last two time I've been, I've one seen the one red tail near the exit door on the bar interacting with people. I might ask on the zoos victoria facebook page.

8. nanoboy

There is still a second red tailed black female in the aviary. She stays high up on the dead branches, but keeps an eye on patrons and the male. I couldn't coax her to come down. I'll see if I can post some pics here.

9. nanoboy

A couple pics of a sociable bird.

Attached Files:

10. normaeinstein

He is beautiful. He has waddled up to me once in this same spot. Perhaps he is new? Within the last 6-9 months?. I actually went to the zoo yesterday, but ran out of time to get to the avairy. Hopefully I'll get in there next week.

11. Marcel

Marcel Member 10+ year member

That bird is asking to be stolen.

12. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Maybe that is why the bloke in the pictures can't be identified and is carrying a big, black bag??:eek:

13. Marcel

Marcel Member 10+ year member

Did not notice the big black bag, hmm suspicious;).

14. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

A friendly glossy black cockatoo just like this was stolen from Taronga's rainforest aviary back in the '70's...

:(

Hix

15. nanoboy

Haha. That big black bag belongs to another zoo patron. It doesn't match with my coat. :p

A couple years ago an eclectus parrot was stolen from a Melbourne pet shop. It was a big story here. They got it back in the end after a media and internet blitz.

Interesting point about the bird at Melbourne zoo being stolen in the future. That would a real shame, considering that they can bought in a pet shop for a few thou.

16. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

That is mostly the reason why they are stolen, to make a couple of thousand

17. nanoboy

That's sad. Hopefully no one steals the extremely friendly pair of sulphur crested cockatoos in the walkthrough aviary at Kyabram Fauna Park in northern Victoria!

If you search for videos on youTube for Kuranda Birdworld, there are some crazy videos with sociable macaws which are far more pricey than cockatoos. I think they have some scarlet macaws, and I recently saw a pair on sale for $28k to give you an idea of the price. Hopefully no one steals those!!

Attached Files:

18. kc7gr

kc7gr Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Gotta be hand-raised...

...if the bird's that friendly.

I wish I lived a few thousand miles closer to Oz. I absolutely love the coloration... Black with what looks like charcoal-gray or dusty blue. Gorgeous!

19. nanoboy

You should see the colouration in person, in variable lighting, and at different angles!

Surely you can see these guys in zoos near you, or in a pet store?

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

red-tailed cockatoos are relatively rare outside Australia, extremely expensive, and you'd be looking hard to find one in an American pet shop (I wouldn't imagine those aviculturists lucky enough to be breeding them would be selling through shops!)

(I just checked ISIS and the only listings for contributing zoos in North America are Cincinnati, San Diego, Lowry and Toronto)