Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo in the 1980's

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Mark O, 6 Oct 2019.

1. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

RE the Lion Park and the new Lion Gorge:

My understanding is as follows:

The Lion Park was built in 1966 - meaning that in 2016 it would have been 50 years old. Had it got to 50 years old, then the National Trust could've forced the zoo to keep it in its original condition. If this was allowed to happen then the zoo would have its hands tied forever and would never be allowed to demolish it without permission from the National Trust.

Pretty much everyone I've ever spoken to about it agrees that the old Lion Park was a better enclosure than the new Lion Gorge (and I agree with them) - but the problem is that in 30 years time that old Lion Park may be seen as a really ugly monstrosity, and then the zoo could be stuck with it - due to the grip of the National Trust.....

So I'm assuming (and I don't know - I'm just assuming here), that the zoo decided that it would be better to replace the Lion Park rather than keep it and risk being stuck with it forever should the National Trust decide to force the issue....

I have no idea what the laws or rules would be if the original construction was altered in any way, and I'm assuming that the bridge over the top would've been the part the National Trust would most likely force the zoo to keep - but in any case, I'm sure the zoo would've been aware of all this and made what it felt was the best decision going forward into the future.

This really does show that while organisations like the National Trust are important and can be good for our cities and their heritage, they really do have far too much control sometimes and can really stifle progress..... but that's a discussion for some other forum - not a zoo forum...

Jambo likes this.
  2. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't understand why the old elephant exhibit has sat empty for a decade when it would be perfectly adequate for a medium sized mammals like tapirs, peccaries, or even maned wolves.

As much as the lemur exhibit is okay, I always thought it was a poor choice for that location. In my mind the obvious would have been to demolish the walls between the grottoes and open it up into one larger gorilla exhibit. This would have allowed Melbourne to maintain their bachelor group or to form a second troop and rotate between the exhibits. With a bit of landscaping and by filling the moats with water (as they have now done with the lemurs) they could have turned the grottoes into an exhibit very comparable to Taronga's or San Diego Safari parks. Not amazing, but perfectly adequate for a second exhibit that would have made a nice new entrance to the rainforest.

The carnivores section I was overwhelmingly unimpressed with. The industrial shipping container theme is already outdated and much of the structures are, as you say totally unnecessary. I think the meshing over the old bear exhibit to allow for snow leopards is a good idea, but I was also perplexed as to what a cantilevered shipping container is supposed to offer the visitor?

It's might be worth noting it's the same firm responsible for most of Zoos Victoria's new developments. You'll notice they seem to repeat the same themes in Wild Sea and the Lemur walkthrough: little additional or even less space allocated to animals, a taste for industrial "simulations" of nature rather than the real thing. Over engineered visitor spaces and viewing areas that go unused. Poor visibility and awkward sloped floors and terrain. Lets hope they never build their proposed South America section at Werribee.

That makes a lot of sense. Pity they had no real plan beyond this.

Jambo likes this.
  3. Mark O

Mark O Active Member

Using it for something (other than Roar N' Snore) would have been nice for sure. Clearly the zoo is embarrassed by it, I'm always impressed how it continues to be harder and harder to even see as the years go on.

I would have loved that.

The one part of Wild Sea I don't love is the penguins. While I guess it's an improvement that you can see them under water, seeing them outside against all the modern steel architecture is disjointing. Especially if you've done the penguin parade, or run into them on St. Kilda pier. While I was at MZ, I got a great photo of one mid dive into the water, however all the steel and concrete surrounding in the background mars the shot. It doesn't seem like it'd have taken much effort to make this side of the building look like a natural habitat.

The other thing I've noticed, after 4 times through Wild Sea, is that placement of penguins is poor, cognitively. By the time you've viewed the seals at two different areas, walked up past the other smaller fish & seahorses, and then stopped outside by the top viewing area (either for the show or anecdotally), mentally you've left the exhibit and are focused on actually exiting and working out where you're headed next. Rounding the corner by seals, the penguins being on display is unexpected and stopping to look at them is kind of an after thought (because you thought you were exiting). That's been my experience anyway. When the fairy penguins were by the elephants, viewing them was conversely quite deliberate.

Jambo likes this.
  4. Mark O

Mark O Active Member

Do things change after a listed item becomes 50 years old? Searching through the National Trust and VHR sites I couldn't find anything referencing this. Certainly from a VHR perspective, it seems that the need for a permit to modify or demolish a registered place is irrespective of age.

I'm pretty naive on the subject, so just curious. I think that most parts still VHR registered are older than 50 years, so it'd be nice to know if these things are more historically "protected" from change.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2019
  5. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I really don't know either - I'm no expert on these things. All I can say is what I've heard - but of course that doesn't mean that it's necessarily true or completely true...

6. babirusa101

babirusa101 Well-Known Member

This is a map that from 1984 from a book that I had.

Attached Files:

Mark O, Jambo, CGSwans and 2 others like this.
  7. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I never understand why the generation above me pities our generation for growing up in the new millennium, until I see the biodiversity of a 1980’s zoo.

We’re fast approaching the stage where Australian and New Zealand zoos will hold only half the species they once had.

Jambo, Tafin and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Heh. There was a zoo within walking distance of my house when I was growing up (in New Zealand) that had four species of macaques (Pig-tailed, Crab-eating, Rhesus, and Bonnet), De Brazza's Monkeys, Caracals, Bobcats, Leopards, Maras, and Coatis.

Jambo, Tafin and Zoofan15 like this.
  9. Zoofan15

It better not have done. :eek:

Tafin likes this.
  10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm not sure what that means. The zoo did have those animals, if that is what you're asking.

11. Zoofan15

Don’t worry, it was just an expression of disbelief. Of course I believe you, I don’t recall you ever been wrong about anything in the time I’ve been on ZooChat. :D

Tafin likes this.
  12. Mark O

Mark O Active Member

This seems accurate. I don't know if the plaques still exist post Lion Gorge, but that is indeed where they were.

I found a photo of it here: Melbourne Zoo 2008 - Front of the Syrian Brown Bear exhibit - ZooChat

Zooming in, the larger one on top declares the exhibit being opened by John Cain. The smaller one beneath says Peter Evans, though it's not high res enough to make out any more of the details.

MRJ, Kifaru Bwana and Patrick Keegan like this.
  13. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't believe the plaque still exists.

John Cain opened the Bear enclosure in 1986; during the time he was the Premier.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2022
    MRJ and Patrick Keegan like this.
  14. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The plaque most likely still exists in that they tend to keep everything like that, however I am sure you are right and it is no longer on display. Must admit I’ve never seen Predator Ridge.

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  15. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

By John Cain do you mean the keyboardist of Journey, or someone else? This is a genuine question by the way.

16. MRJ

Premier of Victoria.
    Who or what is Journey, also a genuine question.

17. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

A very famous arena rock band, they’ll be the first result when you look it up (or one of them), check out the lineup with Steve Perry, that was their best era, though at a point Gregg Rolie (Formerly of Santana) was the lead vocalist. This was all in the 80s.

Patrick Keegan, Zoofan15 and MRJ like this.
  18. Zoofan15

They’re even famous enough to be referenced by other bands:

I stopped believin'
    Although Journey told me don't
    Before I call it a day
    Maybe this'll be my year

- This'll Be My Year (Train)

StoppableSan, MRJ and Patrick Keegan like this.
  19. MRJ

Yes but that makes sense: Train Journey.

20. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's definitely not still part of the Leopard Ridge. I agree, probably still off display at the moment.

The predator precinct is a rather decent area. The enclosures are all quite nice and naturalistic. The standout is the Snow Leopard exhibit which was built in the place of the old Bear enclosure. I think we'd all agree though, that the old Lion Park was much better than the current Lion enclosure.

Zorro and StoppableSan like this.