Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo News 2012

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PAT, 10 Apr 2012.

1. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

3. PAT

Not much remains from the old exhibits that were here. To the right is the peppercorn tree from the red panda exhibit so this space was probably the path between the red pandas and the tree kangaroos.

4. Rough

Rough Well-Known Member

I was given a tour of the exhibit by Hans van Weerd (Life Sciences Manager) the other week and he explained they are still trying to come up with a solution to stop people entering the exhibit as even the temporary rope hasn’t worked, people were still entering the exhibit and indoor enclosure. Another interesting note is the walkthrough area further down will house free roaming exotics that children can interact with though I cannot for the life of me remember what Hans said they would be, I did enjoy the brush turkey section though that provides children with tools to bury “eggs” just as the turkeys do.

5. PAT

The end of the trail does look like it could be another phase to make it a complete loop. That's interesting that it will be a walk-through exhibit because I saw a sign on my most recent visit about future renovations to the old, empty great ape grottoes. It looks as if they are going to be completely destroyed and turned into a lemur exhibit (possibly walk-through). I personally think this is a great idea. Hopefully more of the tree-top apes and monkeys (and prosimians) inhabitants can be moved out and make way for renovations there too.
    Another interesting thing that just got posted on the Zoos Victoria facebook page is a new, interactive experience for adults after the zoo closes. Here's a link below but it sounds more like a write up for a new art gallery and doesn't really give any definite clues as to what this experience involves. I'm assuming you download an app onto your smart phone or borrow one from the zoo and then get an audio tour through the zoo.
    http://www.zoo.org.au/melbourne/whats-on/i-animal

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

sun bears? :D

7. Rough

Rough Well-Known Member

Hahaha :D That would be a very enriching walk through exhibit...

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

End of story will probably be resident minders to assist the public to do the right thing(s) right!

9. nanoboy

Yup - a 'Friend Of The Zoo' volunteer sounds like a good solution, especially on busier days.

10. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Signage is for maras and quokkas I think.

11. Chlidonias

first lemur birth at the zoo since 1991:
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/odd/15454629/baby-lemurs-born-at-melbourne-zoo/

12. Chlidonias

photo on the link
    Zoo puts baby peccaries on display - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

13. CGSwans

Was there yesterday. There's a group of (five) squirrel monkeys tucked away in what's currently a cul-de-sac within the zoo. They're in the exhibit which previously housed GLTs, which are presumably off display.

Four meerkat exhibits seems like a bit of overkill, just frankly.

Small cat alley is increasingly a misnomer. A red panda has one cage. A pair of otters has another. Two of them are occupied by coatis, which also have a new exhibit next to the squirrel monkeys. Zoo appears to be down to one fishing cat on display. Still two servals and a caracal as well.

Mara are still sign-posted in the walk through part of Growing Wild, but didn't see any. There's something mara or quokka sized living here though, as I took a peek into the night yard (the gate was open) and they've got hay bales and vegetables put for them to eat.

There's three signs around the zoo announcing future plans. The old ape grottos will become "Lemur Island". Scheduled for early 2014. Doesn't *look* like it's walk through, which means it'd be beaten by Taronga even before it's constructed. That's a rivalry that Melbourne is increasingly losing, unfortunately.

A second gives a glimpse of Growing Wild phase II. Tree kangaroos are pictured and apparently otters will move into this area. The third sign gives no timeline but calls the planned development "Predator Prey". Names lions, snow leopards and Syrian brown bear (or sun bear, if Honey passes on, I'm guessing). Don't know where the "prey" comes into it but this sign clearly states that this all be a rotation exhibit. It also has a "cable system" which, I wonder, could hint at gibbons being able to pass above out of reach of the cats and bears? I'll try to upload a phone camera photo of this particular sign later, though can't promise quality.

14. nanoboy

Here is a December 2012 TEDx lecture by Jenny Gray: the CEO of Zoos Victoria (i.e. Melbourne, Healesville, Werribee). She is quite eloquent and does a great job of pushing conservation I think. She talks about Tasmanian Devils, Christmas Island bats, as well as ZVs conservation priorities.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  15. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

That was a very good presentation! Quite impressive.

:p

Hix

16. loxodontaafrica

loxodontaafrica Well-Known Member

Shouldn't Num Oi be giving birth any day now?

17. KarenH

KarenH Member

Nu Moi

A very heavily pregnant, Nu Moi commenced labour on Monday 14th January at 2am. Thomas and the German team are in the zoo and her calf is due any time. 16th January is of course our first-born, Mali's birthday. At the moment it seems quite possible young Mali will be sharing her birthday with her newest half brother/sister in future. All was well on Monday. The calf was in perfect position, feet first and Nu Moi looked quite relaxed. We are hoping to hear news soon.:)

18. nanoboy

Ooh. So a baby elephant in time for February? It should help boost visitation numbers.

19. CGSwans

It's a boy.

Where are they all going to go?

20. nanoboy

I just got this email from Zoos Victoria:

"Melbourne Zoo's Asian Elephant Num-Oi has given birth overnight.

Her 22-month pregnancy concluded at 2:50am with the birth of a little boy.

Num-Oi was outdoors in the company of Kulab and her two-year-old calf Ongard. Mali, Dokkoon, and Mek Kapah were nearby and able to see the event taking place.

The newborn is the first calf for Num-Oi, and he is the fourth baby for the Zoo’s fertile bull elephant Bong Su.

According to the keepers and vets, Num-Oi is being a very attentive and supportive first time Mum.

As a valued Zoos Victoria Member, we wanted you to be one of the first to know. We'll be able to show you photos soon and we can't wait to welcome you to Melbourne Zoo to see the new arrival!

Please keep your eye on our website for updates."