Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 4 Jan 2017.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Starting the year off with some great news - Melbourne Zoo has bred critically endangered Baw Baw frogs for the first time!

Story and video here: No croaking here: endangered frogs bunker down to deliver first generation of Melbourne-made offspring

2. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Melbourne zoo's hydrid orang Gabby turned 27 today!

BennettL

3. BennettL

Melbourne zoos gorilla Kimya turned 12 today!Check twitter or Facebook page for amazing pictures.Happy 12th birthday Kimya!!

BennettL

4. BennettL

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I moved all the posts about clogging up news threads to the General Forum, as per FunkyGibbon's comment that it was relevant to other countries as well. I (or someone) can move it to a different forum if others think it better - e.g. I think it is going to just get lost where it is now.

clogging up news threads

MRJ likes this.
  6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Amazing that the Melbourne group is currently reduced to just four animals, 1.2 + the baby.

They do try to put a positive spin on Mzuri/Ya Kwanza-;) he was almost a total flop at Jersey as he would only breed with one female- not all his fault though- he was a bad choice for Jersey to pick as he was handraised, so that was a risky move, but worse he was only nine when he was introduced to an established group containing several older mature females- so not surprising things didn't work out exactly as they hoped.

7. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

9. BennettL

It is very very sad.I am thinking Werribee's trio of brothers born in 2015 will be a perfect match.

BennettL

10. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree the three adolescent males at Werribee would be the best option. A transfer could avoid their introduction to the newborn cubs which could be potentially risky.

I'm thinking they were already lined up for future transfer to Melbourne as Harare had obviously been ailing for some time. His death may just speed up an inevitable move for these three young males.

Alternatively, if the 2016 litter contains males, they may try and introduce them to the 2015 cubs in the hope of creating a bachelor group. Will depend on the number of males in the 2016 litter I suppose as I'm not sure if Melbourne could accommodate seven males?

11. BennettL

That would potentially be the best option to avoid intros between them and the new Cubs.Melbourne enclosure is though now quite small and is probably your average exhibit.It can accomadate 3-5 lions but not as much as seven.

BennettL

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Personally, I would rather have it that Melbourne Zoo will reserve the open Carnivore space for a tropical species. I am more than convinced the open range zoo concept is more suited for lions and more attractive to the visiting public (and a welcome diversity and variety between city and countryside zoos to choose from).

13. BennettL

As much as it is that would be more suitable.Though this would mean the removal of many species at the zoo that they still have like giraffes and asian elephants.It is also popularity that comes into mind that the zoo could contain only a few popular species.This means visitor numbers will increase at Werribee.

BennettL

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Whereas, I agree a few crowd pullers are essential for any zoological establishment ..., it is really overstated and somewhat self-deprecating to claim that without lions Melbourne Zoo could not stand on its own 2 feet. I really do think and feel that is somewhat of a easy cop out too!

The onus / challenge on zoos is to provide challenging environments and habitats for their charges and assure that the animal collection is presented to the general public in an engaging fashion. That may mean seeing elephants as much / and as well as dibblers or stick insects that the paying / visiting public will been drawn into and amazed and inspired enough to come again and also to assist directly in conserving these species both ex situ and in the wild outdoors. Amen!!!

15. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. zooboy28

It literally says nothing. Just that the zoo doesn't yet know where new lions will come from, and it will be up to the species coordinator (so not necessarily Werribee).

(I would quote it a bit, but when I clicked the link the second time the article was paywalled.)

18. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd love to see the snow leopards displayed in the lion enclosure for the year while they build their new enclosure - or even Binjai the female tiger.

19. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lions, Kito, Kubwa and Kashka will be relocating from Werribee to Melbourne later this year. Before that Lion Gorge will be used to house the zoos African Wild Dogs in the short term

A HUGE vacancy at Melbourne Zoo is about to be filled with the announcement that three young lions will soon be arriving from Werribee Open Range Zoo.

Melbourne Zoo’s three elderly lions died in a short space of time this summer, leaving its $5.6 million Lion Gorge big cat exhibit empty.

Announcing the transfer this afternoon, Melbourne Zoo Director Kevin Tanner said the trio — Kashka, Kubwa, and Kito — born at Werribee Open Range Zoo in October 2015 would arrive at Melbourne Zoo later in the year.

Mr Tanner said the old lions Harare, Chaka and Zuri were much missed, having been born at the zoo and spent their entire lives there.

“We are fortunate that the Werribee Open Range Zoo trio are close to reaching an age when they would move away from their family group, as would happen in the wild,” he said.

Over the coming months the trio would spend time away from their family group and establish relationships with new keepers in preparation for the big move.

They would also gain confidence moving in and out of transport crates.

While they remained at Werribee the adolescent lions would also get to know four young cubs recently born at the open range zoo.

“Their move to Melbourne Zoo will be the first step for them within the regional breeding program for this vulnerable species, as they are likely to move on to other zoos over the next few years as breeding males with their own pride, or alternatively to form male coalitions.”

Mr Tanner said Lion Gorge would be modified especially for the three newcomers with climbing structures and other features installed to cater for their youthful energy and more active and playful behaviours.

In the meantime Lion Gorge would be home to four African wild dogs already living nearby while a new exhibit was built for them.

“Once the wild dogs return to their expanded exhibit, new arrivals Kito, Kashka and Kubwa will move into Lion Gorge,’ Mr. Tanner said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...o/news-story/aba3e6f9875bb60ed812df7f47facbc6

20. zooboy28

The most exciting snippet there from @Nisha is the very exciting and unexpected news that the Wild Dogs will be getting an expansion to their exhibit, which was very underwhelming when it opened. It will be interesting to see how this work, but I rather hope the current visitor loop around the exhibit is ditched, with the dog exhibit extending back over the visitors area on the non-lion side of the loop. A one-way system may be more useful once the new predator precinct opens anyway, as I imagine it will essentially exist as an extension of the lion/wild dog area anyway.