Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 4 Jan 2017.

1. Dannelboyz

Dannelboyz Well-Known Member

Carnivores' Trail

A couple days late but...

Carnivores' Trail | Zoos Victoria

And the Zoos Victoria press release here:
    Wide World of Carnivores | Zoos Victoria

"The new Carnivores' Trail is now open, after an official launch on Monday morning by Premier Daniel Andrews and the Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change, Lily D’Ambrosio.

The $9m development was fully funded by the State Government and is now home to four species: Snow Leopards, Sumatran Tiger, Coatis, and Tasmanian Devils.

There are face-to-face encounters through one-way glass viewing panels, or across a moat at the Sumatran Tiger exhibit.

The new development forms the central section of the pathway leading visitors along a loop which begins with the African Wild Dogs and Lions and ends with a different view into the Wild Dogs exhibit.

After those two African species, the next animal along the Carnivores Trail is Isabella, the Philippines Crocodile, which is the world’s most endangered crocodilian species.

Moving on into the new section of the trail, visitors will first encounter three South American Coatis, agile and acrobatic climbers. A special play area adjacent to their exhibit will encourage visiting children to climb like Coatis.

Two female Snow Leopards Miska and Sundah will be living in the next two new exhibits. The recently-arrived male Kang-Ju housed nearby to play a future role in the breeding program, which is linked to the European zoos’ species management program for this species, classified as Vulnerable in the wild.

A one-way glass panel provides the first view into the first of two Snow Leopard exhibits, and one-way glass is also used in a large viewing area overlooking the exhibit from an elevated position.

Both Snow Leopard exhibits have chilled rocks as options the animals may choose as resting places on hot days.

The Sumatran Tiger exhibit has a large deck for visitors viewing the female Indrah across the broad moat. This is a Critically Endangered species, and the Zoos Victoria Don’t Palm us Off campaign aims to assist Indrah's wild cousins in Sumatra.

Tasmanian Devils are the next stop along the Carnivores Trail, highlighting a species suffering from a contagious cancer in the wild. Zoos Victoria is a major supporter of the insurance breeding program for the species and their reintroduction into the wild.

Another view into the African Wild Dog exhibit is the finale of the Carnivores Trail."

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems Melbourne Zoo is now a participant in the EEP Snow Leopard.
    Good development ..., as I believe is the overhaul of the Carnivore area.

3. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know what's happened to the troop of Capuchin Monkeys at Melbourne Zoo?

A few years ago, they had:
    Damien (alpha male)
    Brooke (female)
    Cassie (female)
    Bella (female)
    Possum (female)
    + 4 young (which would be fully grown now)

The last few times I've been, they only seem to be displaying 2 (Damien and one of the young males)

I'd be surprised if so many had died so I'm wondering if they've been moved to other zoos.

Anyone got any info? I keep looking for keepers to ask when I'm there, but I can never find any... I'm just so curious as to what's happened to them all.