Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 9 Feb 2018.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How true! In fact, for example Sumatran tigers are subject of a WAZA global management program (GSMP): Sumatran Tiger GSMP : WAZA : World Association of Zoos and Aquariums

For semantics sakes' please do apply the definitions hybrid and crossbreed correctly as we sometimes seem to use the one to mean the other:
    A hybrid is an organism whose parent lines are distinctly different species.
    A crossbreed in is an organism whose parent lines are of the same species, but a very different phenotype, or breed.

2. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

You are entirely missing my point. I am not advocating the abandonment of breeding programs for purebred subspecies. Instead I am advocating against phasing-out breeding programs for subspecies hybrids to leave us in a safer position in the likely event the subspecies goes extinct in the wild and we have not secured enough genetic variability to ensure its long term future in a purebred subspecies form.

The hybrid orangutans in zoos are crosses between two completely different full species, not subspecies. And both species have genetic viability in captivity as far as I am aware. So they are irrelevant to the point I am making. But to get to your invalidation of my argument because "qualified people in this field would have figured this out" - I completely disagree with that statement. History is littered with instances of "qualified people" making mistakes.

In support of this, let me leave you with this example: In 2007 a female northern x southern white rhino died after "qualified people" deliberately excluded it from breeding despite there already being not even a remotely viable number purebred northern whites left on earth. Fast forward about a decade and what are those same "qualified people" trying to do...?

Grant Rhino likes this.
  3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm sure you understand that the existance of a breeding programme for hybrids would take up valuable space the region hasn't got. I'd be amazed if the Australasian region participated in a breeding programme for an additional sub species of tiger (or an additional species of big cat), let alone.
    However, it could be that you're right and that all the thousands of qualified experts in this field are wrong. Why don't you write to them an enlighten them on hybrids? Be sure to let us know how you get on. If they start a breeding programme for hybrid tigers, I will eat my hat. It can't taste any worse than that humble pie I ate at the start of the year.

4. toothlessjaws

End of conversation.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  5. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

New Lions Arrive

Melbourne Zoo's Newest Arrivals Ready to Roar | Zoos Victoria

Melbourne Zoo has twice as many reasons to roar now that it has welcomed two lion boys from Werribee Open Range Zoo.

Brothers Zuberi and Ndidi were relocated to Parkville from Werribee this week after older siblings Kashka, Kubwa and Kito moved to Monarto Open Range Zoo in South Australia as part of a regional captive breeding program.

Melbourne Zoo Carnivores Precinct Coordinator Beth Geraldene said the team was excited to welcome the new lion boys, after learning about their personalities from the Werribee Zoo team.

Ndidi is the more boisterous of the two, and is quick and eager to respond to training that harnesses his clever mind.

Zuberi, on the other hand, is sweet in nature, gentle in his approach to most things, remaining calm and focused during training sessions.

“Ndidi and Zuberi are only just starting to develop their manes and still have a lot of growing to do,” said Ms Geraldene. “We are excited to watch these boys grow and can't wait to start fostering a strong trusting relationship that will allow us to accelerate their training program.”

The brothers underwent extensive crate training prior to their move to ensure they would be comfortable on the journey from Werribee to Melbourne.

To help them settle into their new home at Melbourne Zoo, the boys received a special birthday treat from the Werribee Zoo volunteers in the form oversized enrichment presents.

Zuberi and Ndidi were the second litter of lion cubs to be born at WORZ to first-time mother Nairibi and second-time father Johari. Their parents and sisters are part of the pride at Werribee Open Range Zoo.

Both Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo have a proud history of caring for African lions.

WhistlingKite24 and Jambo like this.
  6. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The zoo has confirmed that the Cotton-top Tamarins have moved into the Treetop Apes and Monkeys area.
    Zoos Victoria

Jambo and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw them in there on a visit to MZ on the weekend. There is a pair of them living in there and more plantation has been put in since the coati were there. The exhibit is looking way more naturalistic than before which is great too! ;)

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  8. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Sounds good- I’m glad the zoo now has a species of tamarin/marmoset on display.

9. Jambo

The zoo did originally have cotton top tamirans and Emporer tamirans on display but they were in small cages in a hidden part of the zoo near the red panda’s (if you saw them). The current cages where the Emporer tamirans and Cotton top tamirans were now hold a pair of Electus Parrot. I’m not sure where the Emporer tamirans went though. ;)

Last edited: 30 Dec 2018
    Kifaru Bwana and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  10. toothlessjaws

over the years a number of small, new-world primates have gone off-display for substantial time but not actually left the collection. I am fairy certain they have some some sizeable enclosures back-of-house somewhere.

Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  11. Jambo

@toothlessjaws , Can you name a few new world primates that you know of that went off display? The Emporer tamirans have actually been off display for a while (around a month) and so has the cotton top tamiran before being put back on display. The zoo does have plenty of spaces where they might go: there is the ‘Quarintine’ area behind the Sumatran tiger enclosure (only a bit of it can be viewed from the treetop monkey trail), the area near the old elephant enclosure and the area just above the Amazon avairy and right from Wild Sea. Any of these places or possibly others that I don’t know of could be were they move species off display. Sometimes the less known species would go missing from on display and I always wondered where they went. Remains quite an intriguing mystery but what I want to know is why they frequently move species on and off display?

Zorro and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  12. toothlessjaws

The bolivian squirrel monkeys. Prior to their current home they were kept off display for years. I recall reading a news article about the zoo that mentioned them and showed them in an off-display cage.

Jambo likes this.
  13. Jambo

The Brazilian squirell monkey’s have lived in the enclosure by Keeper kids for 5 or 6 years now. I agree with you, they were off display for a few years before that. ;)

14. Jambo

Here is a news article from 10/4/2014: Monkeying around with Bart | Zoos Victoria about ‘Bart’ the zoos dominant male. The 4 brothers arrived from Apenhul primate park in 2010. The enclosure they’ve in now opened in 2012 or 2013. So they must’ve been somewhere else at the zoo for the first 2 or 3 years.

I’ll try to gain more information. ;)

15. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Emperor Tamarins were displayed in a glass fronted enclosure adjoining the conference centre for a while. It was hidden away, but it could still be seen via public access: It was around the boardwalk behind the restaurant opposite the island with the Siamang Gibbons next to the Japanese Garden. I'm not sure if the Emperor Tamarins are still there though.

Jambo likes this.
  16. Jambo

I believe they’re not there anymore.

Grant Rhino likes this.
  17. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I must admit, I haven't been there for a while, but I will try to find out where they are (if anywhere) next time I go in there.

Jambo likes this.