Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kelvin, 13 Jan 2019.

1. kelvin

kelvin Well-Known Member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

"Fiordland penguins Edward and Kim were rescued from different beaches on the Mornington Peninsula in July after suffering trauma in the ocean."

"They were both quickly brought back to the veterinary department at Melbourne Zoo for life-saving treatment."

"As a result of the nature of their injuries, keepers decided it was best for the duo to stay at Melbourne Zoo and they have been on display since mid-December.
    "

One would hope that the birds would be sent to Taronga instead of staying at Melbourne!

3. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

I'm openly going to admit that I'm always a little excited when a Fiordland washes up on our shore. Yet I wonder if these animals will be staying at Melbourne? Surely a consolidation with the Taronga birds would be in the interest of starting a colony?

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

Fiordland Crested Penguins aren't colonial birds - they nest as individual pairs within forest - but I certainly agree that they should be sent to Taronga. The more birds in one spot to choose their own mates the better for actually getting them to breed properly.

5. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

I was at Melbourne a few weeks ago and there was already signage for Fiorland Crested Penguin, though I haven’t actually seen them yet. I’m guessing that because they’ve put signage up for them they will be staying though I do agree it would be great to have them be sent to Taronga. ;)

6. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member

7. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member Premium Member

One of Melbourne Zoo’s African Wild Dogs (‘Saba’) has been euthanised. Vets were unable to repair his leg, due to serious injury and infection.
    Zoos Victoria

Zoofan15 likes this.
  8. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Little John, a male Aldabra Giant tortoise, was recently transferred to a new home in the Growing Wild precinct with a female, Jean in the hope of breeding them this season. :)

Little John’s old enclosure, near the Reptile house is still occupied by another male, Wilbur.

No giant feat when moving a tortoise | Zoos Victoria

Kifaru Bwana and Zoofan15 like this.
  9. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Was at the zoo for a twilight concert last night and managed to duck in to see the new Fiordland penguins. The pair seemed to have settled in very nicely and have formed quite a bond with each other. They were very active, and despite the males "crossed" bill looked healthy and in good weight. Their activities in unison were certainly captivating the visitors. I'd really love to see a colony of these birds formed here.

10. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member

Malu the Orangutan Escapes (Again)

Melbourne Zoo in lockdown after orang-utan escapes

A Melbourne Zoo spokeswoman said in a statement, “Melbourne Zoo can confirm that at approximately 3.15pm today, Malu, a 15-year-old Sumatran orang-utan, got out of his exhibit.”

She said a review was “currently underway to ascertain all the details, however the situation was contained after a very limited period of time, and was fully resolved within an hour”.

Malu previously forced the zoo into lockdown in 2015 after he escaped from his enclosure using a blanket. He was on the loose for an hour before being recaptured.

It was not immediately clear how he achieved Friday’s jailbreak.

Wyman and Jambo like this.
  11. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member