Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jambo, 24 Jan 2020.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I meant, the land space was to small for them before, when they still had the pool filled up. If they filled up the pool, it would be a good size for Peccary, but I doubt they would do that. The enclosure is quite shaded by all of the foliage that surrounds the enclosure. If they wanted to add more, though, they could easily add some more artificial shade, such as a tarp or something. The only thing that I think, they would need to do if they moved their Malayan Tapir in there, will be to increase the land space.

babirusa101 likes this.
  2. Babirusa

Babirusa Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is anyone aware of any plans for the space at Melbourne once the elephants eventually move to Werribee?

3. Jambo

I’m not aware of any plans; though, I don't think they would go to the lengths to demolish the Elephant paddocks. Maybe they might renovate them to suit another species? It’s still a long time away (over 5 years), so MZ will have plenty of time to think.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Where tree kangaroos have been displayed has been shifting around quite a bit since their last purpose-built enclosure (which was very nice) was demolished not long after it was built for the current orang-utan exhibit. They lived for awhile in an old red panda exhibit until that was demolished for Growing Wild and then until rather recently where displayed in the Treetop Monkeys and Apes area.

The zoo has always had off-display enclosures for tree kangaroos as even when on display, they have had at least a 2nd pair or more back-of-house. They now keep a a pair at Healesville so perhaps just have the one pair at Melbourne. While its a shame they are not given a for-purpose exhibit (the old one was very engaging with echidnas on ground level and cassowary next door), I'd expect they'll be back on display before long. I think your guess at a return to the treetops is a good assumption.

Tafin, Jambo and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  5. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Since elephants are typically replaced by camels or rhinos in many zoos, personally I think Melbourne should go left field. They could either maintain a bachelor herd of elephants a la Antwerp, or utilize the crop storyline and maintain animals like Malayan tapir, maybe bringing in clouded leopard, sloth bears, that kind of thing. Maybe some signage about elephants and a life-size statue commemorating Bong Su?

Jambo, Tafin and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Perhaps a pair of Indian rhinos?

Tafin, nczoofan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Come again, am I right in concluding that the newly built tree kangaroo on exhibit was demolished shortly after being built? Seems an awful shoving around with one of Australasia's most unique faunal representatives (and when exhibited with echidna and cassowary next up). I am a tad flabbergasted at throw away moneys.

Tafin, toothlessjaws and Zorro like this.
  8. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Maybe they could continue to use this exhibit for two or three young elephant bulls? Or they could use it for tapirs or for large Asian ungulates.

Jambo and StoppableSan like this.
  9. toothlessjaws

Unfortunately, yes. It was a simple exhibit, comprised of a slightly raised wooden boardwalk and viewing shelter (with New Guinea conservation signage). The Tree kangaroos shared with echidnas and the cassowary where next door. The signage implied it was called "Northern Neighbours" (with New Guinea being to Australians north). The keepers did a talk there where they fed (all) the animals and so it was very engaging and had always had a decent crowd. One of the simpler, better exhibits in my opinion. There was quite a few (active) echidnas in there.

I recall going back a decade or so earlier even and the tree kangaroos (might have been Matschies in those days) at Melbourne had a colony of grey dorcopsis hopping around their enclosure. These animals where moved to Currumbin Sanctuary where a storm eventually toppled a tree, killing the last animals of a specific gender (think it was females). That was the end of the only grey dorcopsis In captivity as far as I am aware....

LOU Y, kiwimuzz, Jambo and 3 others like this.
  10. babirusa101

babirusa101 Well-Known Member

When exactly was this exhibit demolished? I don't recall seeing it...

11. Jambo

The Elephants are leaving permanently. Bactrian Camels, Banteng, or Water Buffalo would be good fits though.

Elephantelephant likes this.
  12. toothlessjaws

Not sure. It existed for the short period after the current elephant exhibit opened but before the "orangutan sanctuary" exhibit was built

babirusa101 and Jambo like this.
  13. Jambo

If Zoos Vic did import Indian Rhinos, than they would go to Werribee most likely.

14. Zorro

Why not use the current Elephant exhibit and make use of it

15. Jambo

It’s a good idea, but considering they have an open range Zoo, than it would be better to use the space for another species more suited to a city Zoo of Melbourne’s size.

16. Zorro

If it can house a herd of elephants a pair of rhinos should be ok

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think zoo and open range could and would be complimentary collections. It is to my humble opinion the only sensible way forward with the city zoo looking after a more diverse and smaller species collection with some highlights.

In that light, the recent news of new tree kangaroo exhibit demolished in a site showcasing fauna of northern Australia and PNG is the wrong way to go about things as well as the need to raise giraffe in a city zoo environment lacking sufficient space (which is more and better served in open range conditions). There are as yet enough A-B-C species fit for city zoo environments that can be exhibited in a city environment.

BTW: my hometown zoo is the living example of the latter! This is a zoo that around 1965-1970 had an animal collection in terms of number of species equivalent to Berlin Zoo/Tierpark Berlin combined and f.i. San Diego Zoo. This on a total area of just under 10 hectares! Nowadays, they hold some A-B-C species, but very much the lesser (no hippo, no rhino, no tiger, no bear) and yet the zoo receives 1.2-1.5 mio visitors a year.

18. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The zoo has just posted that the zipline in the Sumatran Tiger enclosure was indeed constructed as an enrichment device for feeding.
    Security Check

Kifaru Bwana and babirusa101 like this.
  19. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

20. toothlessjaws

Such a great exhibit. And given it popularity and age, and the way zoos play catchup on each other, always surprised no other Australian zoo has ever done their own version.

Great to finally see Ulysses in there! They introduced some really nice red-bodied swallowtails back in 2018 also.