Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jambo, 24 Jan 2020.

1. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The butterfly house always seems to get lost in the discussions about MZ! I remember when it opened that it was such a novelty and amazing bit of warm rainforest in Melbourne.
    Of course Perth also had a butterfly house for a few years. No comparison though. Was done on the cheap, basic polytunnel style. Hopeless for large species that like height. Humidity was always a problem and excess heat in summer. Added to the fact that PZ were not allowed to breed any species, controlled import from QLD breeders of a select bunch. Site is now the hunting dog enclosure and new entrance into the Savannah.

2. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

I did not know that. I was told Melbourne insect team breed not only the butterflies, and the Lord Howe stick insects, but all the feeder mealworms, flies etc for the other zoo animals. I imagine Melbourne go through A LOT of mealworms each day. It must be an industrial scale effort.

3. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

As @babirusa101 mentioned in the exotic reptiles of Australia thread, Melbourne Zoo has imported Crested Basilisk from Singapore Zoo and received Monocled Cobra from another Australian zoo. A fantastic development!

Jambo, Jungle Man, CGSwans and 4 others like this.
  4. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!!

Goura likes this.
  5. babirusa101

babirusa101 Well-Known Member

Just want to give a small update in that the second Pygmy Hippo enclosure has been filled up with water again, as seen in this video:

Also, during the virtual tour, it can be seen that they purposely skipped through several enclosures such as the first Orangutan enclosure, the last few Tree-top Monkeys enclosures which hold the Emperor Tamarin and Conures, the Reticulated Python enclosure next to the Lions and the first Pygmy Hippo enclosure. So that probably just means that they are undergoing work and renovations on these exhibits.

Should be interesting what will occupy the empty Pygmy Hippo enclosure; maybe another Pygmy Hippo for breeding?

Jambo, PAT, Zorro and 4 others like this.
  6. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Its quite possible they are gearing up for the importation of another Pygmy Hippo as soon as allowed!

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From overseas???

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Its likely to be a couple of years off yet

Jambo likes this.
  9. Jambo

So why are they preparing so early if its still another few years?

10. toothlessjaws

Filling the water area doesn't necessarily indicate they are preparing for the arrival of another hippo. Except for a brief period, Melbourne has been short a hippo for most of the last decade or more and in that time both exhibits have usually been kept full.

Perhaps their hippo is allowed access to the other exhibit for enrichment after hours? But if we are taking punts then I'm putting my money on some capybara arriving before a hippo....

Jambo likes this.
  11. babirusa101

Or maybe just the already existing Malayan Tapir or Peccaries. Probably the Tapir as it fits in with the rainforest vibe.

Jambo likes this.
  12. Jambo

They had plans for Arturo the Brazilian Tapir (now at Adelaide) last year, to go in one of the enclosures. Maybe Freshwater Crocodile?

Last edited: 28 Jul 2020
  13. toothlessjaws

The tapir already has an exhibit that better suits it with more land area, and peccaries are not aquatic animals.

Inner Melbourne can reach as low as 0° in winter - too cold for crocodiles

Jambo and StoppableSan like this.
  14. babirusa101

Melbourne Zoo has announced the birth of a Spider Monkey to mum Isobella and dad Oren.

15. WhistlingKite24

Excellent news, let's hope she raises this one. Her last offspring, Elena (2018) had to handraised for a few months until she was reintegrated back into the group. According to the news article released by the zoo, Melbourne Zoo now have a group of six spider monkeys - male Oren, females Isobella, Maya, Estela and Elena, and the new baby.
    Melbourne Zoo Celebrates Birth of Precious Spider Monkey

Last edited: 1 Sep 2020
    Jungle Man, StoppableSan and Jambo like this.
  16. WhistlingKite24

I don’t think this has been mentioned in this thread but Melbourne’s four otter pups have since been given names. The males have been named Rodney, Gunther and Murphy, and the female, Squid. :rolleyes: This information can be found in the article below:
    Melbourne Zoo now has a livestream of its baby otters, and there goes your productivity

Jambo, Jungle Man and Yoshistar888 like this.
  17. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Australia Zoo have started one hell of a competition. Melbourne Zoo have put up some stiff competition here; but Monarto Zoo thus far takes the crown with X-box and Yabba-Dabba-Doo. Their title will no doubt be further defended on World Rhino Day, when they announce their new rhino’s name - chosen by their sponsor.

18. babirusa101

All three of Zoos Victoria's zoos will finally be reopening on Thursday, 9 October. :) The wait is finally over! Keep in mind, you must be within a 25 km radius of the specific zoo in which you are visiting and must pre-book tickets. Zoo members can pre-book their tickets now whilst others have to wait until Wednesday.

Link: update-2

Jungle Man likes this.
  19. toothlessjaws

I went to the zoo today and had a few updates that might interest some:

- The zoo has acquired some new black & white ruffed lemurs and they are on display in the same exhibit as the previous.

- Whilst not sign-posted, there are indeed still emperor tamarins at the zoo, in the second last enclosure in the treetop primate exhibits.

- The siamangs have not moved to the empty meshed orang-utan exhibit and are still happily on the island by the japanese garden. In fact, so many empty exhibits had a "something exciting is coming soon" sign that my interpretation is that its just the equivalent of an "This exhibit is empty" sign and not a true indication of a new species arriving soon as some have interpreted. Other empty included those formerly housing: koalas, reticulated python, tasmanian devil (aust bush) and maroon-belly conures.

- All indoor exhibits are still closed.

- The island between the tigers and orangs has not been developed at all and is still simply a bulldozed island with only the palms left. Take this with a grain of salt, but I was told by an unimpressed volunteer that the reason the large eucalypts lopped and the vegetation removed was to actually "get rid" of the ibis that where nesting there, as "people complained about the smell". If this was the case it it failed, since the entire zoo was now scattered with ibis nesting in trees, on exhibit structures etc.

Jambo, Jungle Man and babirusa101 like this.
  20. babirusa101

I don't think that they bulldozed all the vegetation and trees just to get rid of the Ibises, I think they actually do have a plan to develop there eventually. Earlier in the year, I visited Melb zoo right after they cut down everything and I didn't see any Ibises at all. It seemed that their plan to get rid of all the Ibises like the volunteer mentioned had actually worked. They were absolutely none on the island and at that point, I thought that they were finally going to start building a new exhibit. However, now it seems that they have somehow stopped everything and now the Ibises are back. Bit weird how long they're taking with this as it is so obvious every time you pass by; just a huge empty island.

Another small update from Melb zoo is that the small enclosures that held birds and the African Grey Parrot next to the second Red Panda exhibit have all been demolished. There is now just empty land where the enclosures used to be located.