Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jambo, 24 Jan 2020.

1. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Yes I noticed that. This is such a dead location of the zoo. I've never liked the way Growing Wild cut off access to this pathway, and I've always found it wasteful that the old elephant exhibit was left as is rather than be cleaned up, even if it is just to use as for school camps.

It would take so little to polish this area up and make it presentable again. It's an ideal area to house birds and small mammals until the zoo decides how to redevelop it.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

For those who like to keep tabs on the exotic mammals in the region, Melbourne’s new Black-and-white Ruffed Lemurs are two females that arrived from the National Zoo and Aquarium in Canberra. They would be quite young animals as Canberra have been breeding the species consistently for the past couple of years (four in 2016, four in 2018 and two in 2019). The zoo also mentioned that keepers are currently doing maintenance works in their enclosure so they are not always on-display currently.

3. WhistlingKite24

Grassland Earless Dragons (Tympanocryptis pinguicolla) are now on-display in the Keeper Kids area of the zoo:
    Zoos Victoria

Kifaru Bwana and vogelcommando like this.
  4. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

I actually entered this area for the first time the other day. For those interested the species list is:

Corroboree frogs
    Grassland earless dragons
    Blue & yellow macaw
    Eclectus parrot
    Bolivian squirrel monkey

It's actually quite a nice little area. There is also another indoor building for teaching school-age groups in Growing Wild with animal displays I had never been into before. This had (from memory):

Fijian crested iguana*
    Corn snake
    Stick insect sp.

And while I'm at it, the little hut between the "bull" elephant paddock/squirrel monkeys currently has:

Fijian iguana
    Golden coin turtle
    Southern angle-headed dragon
    Stick insects sp.

I feel like one of the iguana displays had elongate tortoises also but I can't recall which one.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Antoine likes this.
  7. babirusa101

babirusa101 Well-Known Member

8. Jambo

Omg! :) Very unexpected arrival. That’s brilliant news, and an additional bonus as he could breed with Melbourne’s females! :):):)

Elephantelephant likes this.
  9. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

This is one of the best news of recent times !!! I expected Melbourne to end elephant breeding, and I criticized it. Great news.:):):):):)

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. Patrick Keegan

Patrick Keegan Well-Known Member

According to a post on Instagram tagged with Melbourne zoo. They now have new black and white ruffed lemurs though I am not sure how many

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Patrick Keegan

Patrick Keegan Well-Known Member

I see I must have missed that

13. WhistlingKite24

The recently-released Annual Report 2019-2020 for Zoos Victoria has a few bits and pieces that haven’t been mentioned:

*a juvenile Goodfellow’s Tree Kangaroo at Melbourne Zoo died unexpectedly and was found deceased in its enclosure. The cause of death was suspected to be a wild Brushtail Possum. Yikes.:eek:

*on a happier note, lots of great results with native species – “Melbourne Zoo supported the Fighting Extinction programs with the hatching of 328 Baw Baw Frogs, 17 Grassland Earless Dragons and nine Regent Honeyeaters.” The number of Crucifix Frogs bred in captivity for the first time was confirmed to be 47 individuals.

Full report: https://parliament.vic.gov.au/file_uploads/ZV_Annual_Report_2019-20__Final__Fpb4DRWQ.pdf

Antoine, babirusa101 and Jambo like this.
  14. Zoofan15

Hamadryas Baboon Update

For those wondering about the baboon numbers at Melbourne Zoo, it was mentioned on the finale of Mega Zoo that the zoo have a troop of 24 Hamadryas baboon and that all females are now on contraception.

Apparently the plan was to have four infants from each of the four breeding females - Huddo, Grace, Macey and Qetesh. This has now been achieved and Quilton (female infant born earlier this year to Qetesh) will be the last infant for several years.

The troop was founded with two males from Prospect Park Zoo (Azizi and Jabari); six females from Wellington Zoo (Beth, Sinead, Zara, Macey, Abeeb and Qetesh); as well as at least two females from Melbourne Zoo.

I have posted a synopsis of the tenth and final episode of Mega Zoo here, for anyone that's interested: Mega Zoo (Zoos Victoria TV Series)

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  15. Jambo

The troop had a lot of elderly or middle aged Melbourne females as well; it was definitely more than 5 females though.

16. Zoofan15

Huddo (born 2000) was the last baboon born at Melbourne Zoo, prior to the cohort of 16 infants born between 2015 and 2020. Grace would have been born around the same time as Huddo and they were apparently the only baboons of reproductive age from Melbourne's previous troop. This would mean the other Melbourne females were born around the early 90's (or even late 80's) and most are likely deceased now.

The DOB of the Wellington imports were as follows:

0.1 Sinead (29/01/1993)
    0.1 Beth (04/06/1994)
    0.1 Zara (21/09/1994)
    0.1 Macey (13/04/2004)
    0.1 Abeba (24/12/2004)
    0.1 Qetesh (2010/2011)

The first three were post reproductive on arrival; and Abeba has apparently never bred.

Mega Zoo implied each breeding female not only was allowed to breed four times, but had four surviving offspring in the troop. Assuming this was true, the troop is now comprised of 16 offspring from 2015-2020; the two founder males; and six of the females from Melbourne and Wellington.

Zorro, Tafin and Jambo like this.
  17. WhistlingKite24

Thanks for the update. I recently found out that Abeba moved to Wildlife HQ back in November 2017 with another older female from Melbourne. She hasn't bred there successfully as far as I know but that was the intention when they arrived.

18. Zoofan15

You're welcome. Abeba was born at Wellington Zoo to a female named Grit, who arrived from Melbourne Zoo in 1988. Grit's genealogy is unconfirmed/unrecorded, so that (combined with her Melbourne ancestry) is likely why the other four (Huddo, Grace, Macey and Qetesh) were chosen for breeding over her at Melbourne Zoo.

Abeba had no other relatives in Melbourne's troop, making her a good candidate for export. Macey was the daughter of Beth; and I believe Qetesh was the daughter of Macey, though I will have to confirm that.

Zorro, Jambo and Tafin like this.
  19. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Are Auckland's females relatives of these baboons as they were also born at Wellington Zoo.

20. Zoofan15

Ayisha is Zara's daughter. She was born 04/09/2001 at Wellington Zoo. Her first son, Yafeu, was also conceived at Wellington Zoo to an unknown male prior to Ayisha's export. Yafeu is the sire of Auckland Zoo's latest infant - born to his sister, Mali.

Kito was born 21/05/2002 to a female named Greet. Greet was sent to Adelaide Zoo, along with Beth and Macey; but died there. Beth and Macey were then transferred to Melbourne Zoo.

Ayisha and Kito's sires are listed as multiple (Ramses, Albert and Pharaoh). These three males were all sired by a male (fittingly) named Randy - who sired Sinead, Beth and Zara. Ramses in turn sired Macey; and Albert sired Abeba, making them related by their sires.

Tafin and Jambo like this.