Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jambo, 24 Jan 2020.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Following Melbourne Zoo’s naming convention, I assume this is the third offspring of Qetesh. Qetesh was one of the last infants born at Wellington Zoo in 2010/2011 and has two offspring in Melbourne Zoo’s troop - Quasi (born 2017) and Quill (born 2019).

Macey (born at Wellington Zoo in 2004) has also contributed greatly to the troop - also producing three infants to date.

Perth Zoo have 2.3 Hamadryas baboon. From memory, the youngest member was a male born 2005; so with all their females post reproductive, it appears this small troop will be phased out unless more females are imported. Hopefully this doesn’t mean the phase out of Hamadryas baboon from Perth Zoo. Their exhibit is engaging and doesn’t take up excessive space. They are the ideal species for a city zoo. I especially like the addition of a Sausage tree Kigelia africana outside the exhibit.

There a list of Auckland Zoo’s 4.5 Hamadryas baboon on Post #40 of this thread: baboons [Auckland Zoo]

Auckland Zoo’s troop are in need of new genetics. The two eldest females are at the end of their reproductive lifespan (if not post reproductive); and the three younger females (born 2011-2015) are closely related to all four males.

I think a regional shake up is needed (as Adelaide’s troop are also in dire straights). Some female exports from Darling Downs Zoo and Melbourne Zoo could be just what’s needed.

Tafin, Jambo, Yoshistar888 and 3 others like this.
  2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So since they are a primate kept in our regional zoos within Aust & NZ would one not assume that some kind of management by the Primate TAG team is or should be there to offer some type of plan for them?

3. Zoofan15

Ideally yes. For years, the main issue has been the placement of males. Castration was trialled at Wellington Zoo with some success - the males lacked the physical appearance and aggression. In an ideal world, Auckland Zoo would export it’s four males and import new males to breed with the new females; but there’s nowhere they could go and bachelor troops don’t always work. Wellington Zoo had the same problem when they disbanded their troop. Adelaide Zoo’s troop must surely be running into conflict now with three adult males and one female.

The simplest way forward is probably to establish small troops at the city zoos, that are founded by young animals who breed young (making all members of the troop close in age). After a few offspring (ideally more females infants than males), stop breeding and let the troop die out naturally over the next 15-20 years. Auckland Zoo’s troop of 4.5 is a model example of how this could work; as is Perth’s. When the troop dies, import 1.2 or 2.2 surplus animals and repeat.

The zoo’s with larger troops will need to restrict breeding eventually and accomodate both male and female infants long term. There will be almost zero demand for male offspring, so castrate the males so they can remain without causing conflict; and put the female offspring on contraception. Even if they’re not needed for breeding, the females play a valuable role in achieving a gender balance (cohesion for the troop).

Jambo, Tafin and Zorro like this.
  4. Zorro

There are a few small zoos like Wildlife HQ which keep very small numbers they could all play a part in the over all management of the species I am not sure how many of the smaller zoos within the region keep them!

Last edited: 4 Apr 2020
  5. Zoofan15

In addition to Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth, Auckland and Sydney; they’re held at Banana Cabana, Crocodylus, Darling Downs, and Wildlife HQ. There’s also several in research facilities (as we heard about during the recent escape in Sydney). :p

They’re an obvious candidate for more of the small zoos to acquire as they’re a medium sized primate that doesn’t require a huge amount of space or feeding costs.

I’d really love to see Monarto a acquire this species. They have the space to build a large rock face exhibit and it would be the perfect addition to their African collection.

Tafin and Zorro like this.
  6. Zorro

I agree they would make a wonderful exhibit at Monatro. It would be interesting to know if the Baboons at these research facilities are of different bloodlines than the others in the region its likey they imported them themselves?

Zoofan15 likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

I’ve looked online and I can find no record of where the founders came from. Most (if not all) of the current baboons would have been bred on site at the Australian National Baboon colony. The founders could have been from one of the large colonies in Europe, but I’d say it’s more likely they were surplus animals from one of our regional zoos. Wellington Zoo held Hamadryas baboons from the 1970’s onwards and some of the Australian zoos (Melbourne etc.) before that even. The Australian circuses seem to have focussed on the larger Chacma baboon.

8. Zorro

So would it be safe to say all the Baboons at the Sydney zoo are of a different line than most others within the country?

9. Zoofan15

Yes, the thirteen baboons at Sydney Zoo are from Singapore Zoo. They have a colony of around 80-100. It’s possible they are distantly related to the baboons in our region as Melbourne and Wellington Zoo have both imported from Emmen, who hold a large colony and have likely exchanged with Singapore at some point; but they would be very distantly related, if at all.

Sydney Zoo’s troop could be a valuable source of new genetics, but their import may well have been a consequence of them being unable to negotiate with the zoos in the region to acquire stock from them instead; rather than an initiative to enhance the genetics of the regional Hamadryas population.

Jambo, nczoofan, Kifaru Bwana and 2 others like this.
  10. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Following the otter litters at Adelaide and Perth, Melbourne Zoo has announced the arrival of four Asian Small-clawed Otter pups to Odie and Paula. The four otters - three males and a female - were born on 4th February.
    Security Check

11. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’s very exciting. Do you know where Odie came from?

12. Zoofan15

Odie came from Singapore Zoo in 2019.

These pups are the first litter of Asian small-clawed otters born at Melbourne Zoo since 2011:

Otter pups make debut at Melbourne Zoo

13. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Was Paula born at Melbourne Zoo?

14. Zoofan15

I’m not actually sure. I can’t find a single reference to Paula on ZooChat outside of this thread. It sounds like an Australia Zoo name. Are Queensland Zoos allowed to breed otter? If so, she could be relative of Takumi at Auckland Zoo, who came from Australia Zoo.

Either way, her previous mate at Melbourne Zoo was Oscar (2001-2019). This suggests Paula is unrelated to Oscar’s very well represented line - which originates from Jaya at Auckland Zoo. All the other recent births have come from this line (Jaya’s great great grandchildren):

Perth Zoo - 5.2.6 (born 2018-2020)
    Adelaide Zoo - 1.1.3 (born 2019-2020)
    Auckland Zoo - 4.2 (born 2019)

Odie is an unrelated import, so this could potentially be a valuable line in the region.

15. WhistlingKite24

I don’t believe so. In any case, Queensland zoos only house siblings at Rockhampton and Australia Zoo currently. To my knowledge, Australia Zoo has never had an otter called Paula.

Tafin, Zorro and Zoofan15 like this.
  16. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe Paula was part of the 2011 litter born at MZ.

Tafin likes this.
  17. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Do you know who her siblings were?

18. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Did underwater world at mooloolaba not have otters at one time

19. Zoofan15

Yes, Underwater World held an all male group. I believe the five males born at Auckland Zoo in 2001 (No lips, Big lips, Oscar, Omar and Mustache) lived there for a few years. Two were sent to Cairns Wildlife Safari in 2009; and Oscar and Omar were sent to Melbourne Zoo.

jay, Tafin and Jambo like this.
  20. WhistlingKite24

Yes they did a few years ago (I saw them last in 2013). Their last three otters were males and their names were Mayhem, Lou and Kaos. The area where the otter enclosure was located was later converted into an indoor playground in typical Sea Life fashion.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2020
    Zoofan15, Tafin and Jambo like this.