Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Melbourne Zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Simon Hampel, 26 Nov 2003.

1. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Why not build a state of the art animal exhibit there? I really don't get it, from what I have seen, melbourne is developing great. So, why don't they build another good animal exhibit? Don't they want visitors?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

what's wrong with an education precinct? Education is important.

EDIT: this must be what it is: http://support.zoo.org.au/Growing-Wild
    sounds good to me.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2012
  3. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

0.0.2 Black Capped Capuchin have been born

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I should elaborate on my initial, hasty, two words.

From what I was told on a recent visit, this will be way better than just a classroom.

I don't think that Australia has seen anything quite like this yet.

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter! People visit zoo's to see animals, not for education. They have enough space there to build a decent exhibit, so this would be a complete waste! If I would want education, I would visit a school.

6. normaeinstein

normaeinstein Active Member

Exactly, what a waste of space. They already have heaps of buildings that they already use for education purposes. Why not build another great enclosure? It's stupid

7. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

At Zoos Victoria (Healesville, Werribee, and Melbourne) education is extremely important. When schools visit, it's not to just see animals and take pics. There is a fair bit of structure and pedagogy involved, and depending on the students' ages, they will be offered different session in the classroom. In a city of 4 million people (Emmen has 100,000 and The Netherlands has 16 million) I hope you can appreciate that huge numbers of school kids flow through the doors of the zoos every day. These kids have limited time at the zoo, so the zoo needs to have sufficient classroom space to facilitate the large numbers during peak times.

8. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My advice would be to wait until you see the finished product.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wise choice.

Aside and at face value to involve / immerse young people at a very early age in the natural world by way of a zoo educational visit is hugely important and thus to build a center of that nature at MZ is a valid one (but again let us wait for the finished product). Particularly so to generations of young city and suburban folks never before exposed to their overall environment.

10. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Education is one of the biggest earners for zoos. Not only will a great education precinct boost this it will also have a greater conservation benefit.
    People go to the zoo everyday to look at animals and unfortunately ignore information signs and generally the trip is forgotten in no time. People, not just kids either, that visit education centres are more likely to not only take in more information but share their experiences and those messages with others. ed centres are all about really engaging the public in a way even a multimillion dollar exhibit and fancy interps cant.

11. gorgeousingray

gorgeousingray Well-Known Member

I remember reading in an article announcing Num-Oi's pregnancy that Bong su would be going back to Thailand in the near future? If so, are they exchanging him for a different fertile male? It just didn't make sense to me...

12. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As far as i know Bong Su is one of the most fertile elephants in the world. I also dont believe importing more elrphants is an option at the moment. Plus he came from Malaysia.