Join our zoo community

Memorials to individual animals in zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 4 Jan 2021.

1. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville still keeps (or kept recently) signs of their Jentink's duiker - the last one in any zoo which passed away in 2013.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a rare example of a memorial to an animal which was not visitors' favorite, but, of course, extremely interesting from the zoology / conservation point of view.

2. Justanotherzoovisitor

Justanotherzoovisitor Member 5+ year member

Copenhagen zoo's sumatran rhino "Subur" is taxidermied in their zoological museum.

kermodei and Pertinax like this.
  3. kermodei

kermodei Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to meet "Bushman" this past October, as well as "Su Lin" the giant panda, who lived at the Brookfield Zoo until his death in 1938.

[​IMG]

"Bushman" as he appears today, he can be found on the ground level of the museum. Incidentally, he shares the hall with the "Man-eater of Mfuwe", who's taxidermied remains are found tucked beneath a stairwell.

[​IMG]

"Su Lin" can be found on the main level of the museum, and shares his display case with a mounted red panda.

Now I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned this one yet, but I'd argue the entrance to the old Hobart/Beaumaris Zoo, which features the likeness of a thylacine, counts as a memorial to the species. And more specifically, the last known captive individual, which died there in 1936.

[​IMG]

Tim May and TinoPup like this.
  4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. Pertinax

Interesting to see how 'Bushman' is exhibited currently in context with his surroundings. I have postcards of him both alive and taxidermied, but the taxidermy ones only show him in close-up. I expect like many famous museum exhibits, that over time he has been moved around to different locations in the museum.

kermodei likes this.
  6. Pertinax

I don't know what year this memorial gate was put in but I visited the site of the old Beaumaris Zoo in 1981 and this gate wasn't in place at that time, just an indent in the fenceline where the old entrance was, from memory. Its certainly a good addition.