Join our zoo community

United Kingdom Memories of Belle Vue Zoo

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by Bwassa, 13 Sep 2008.

1. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any memories or photos of Belle Vue Zoo in Manchester, which closed in 1977 ? I have a guide book form circa 1975, but have no memory of visiting, being only 3 years old, or there-abouts.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited a number of times. I can remember, with varying shades of clarity, the following;

Great Apes building.
    Monkey House.
    Cat Enclosures.(vague)
    Bear 'Castles'.
    Black rhino outdoor enclosure.
    Waterfowl(central) enclosures.(vague)
    Baboon enclosure- Olive Baboons? It had hexagonal concrete rocks.

There must be many other exhibits I can't recollect at all...:(

Last edited: 26 Jan 2013
  3. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I only visited once. I can remember the bears including the first sloth bear I ever saw, the river house, a bit of the monkey house (which had vertical piano wires at the front of the cages, I think) and the rather strange ape accommodation. The other animals I remember were in quarantine - chamois which went to Blackpool and sable antelope for Marwell (I think). I probably still have one or two photos somewhere.

Alan

6. Pertinax

It was situated in a rather grim area, with a large cinder carpark and a Speedway Stadium(?) next door. But once you were inside the Zoo it was actually quite pleasant, though naturally being an urban location there was a lot of concrete everywhere.

The Monkey house was amazing. Piano-wire fronts to all the cages, and ornate brightly painted wood surrounds. Very tall ceiling. There were cages on two sides of a central block, and on one perimeter wall. No outdoor cages at all.. I can remember the following species; Mandrill, Lion tailed Macaque, Cherry crowned Mangabey, Stump-tailed Macaque, Diana Monkey(?) De Brazza's, there would have been others too as this was a major 'postage stamp' collection. There was also a small modern open air exhibit housing a small number(about 9) of Olive Baboons. The 'rocks' were hexagonal blocks similar to the Giants Causeway in N. Ireland.

The Ape House(opened circa 1966) was rather strange with underground tunnels connecting the (narrow) indoor cages with semi- circular concrete areas outside (a bit like Dudley's) They appear in the 'You Tube' video. The visitors viewed both areas from a covered central passageway. The indoor cages had 'Spanish grille' fronts- copied from Bristol's gorilla house. There are good photos of it in one of the earlier Yearbooks (circa 196?)

It held 1.1 gorillas(Jojo & Susie) originally 2.1 Orangutans (Harold, Bobo & Adam) which later became 1.2 as Adam* was swapped for a female* from Flamingo Park. Also 1.1 or 1.2 Chimpanzees (Robert, Katja & ?) Robert was a fine male and later went to (I think) Belfast.

*Adam went to Flamingo Park- Colchester- Bristol- Santillana where he died.
    *The female from Flamingo Park was 'Janey'- she was later the mother of Wareham's 'Amy' who was born after G. Mills bought the Belle Vue orangutans and transferred them to Weybridge.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2008
  7. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

ive heard it was a much missed zoo, but never got the chance to visit :(

8. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

All my relatives say it wasn't a nice zoo. Very small, with cramped 'cages', rather than enclosures. But they did breed many of the animals, including pygmy hippos and polar bears. Does anyone remember Hercules the common hippo? Apparently, he was moved from the Tropical River House because he was eating the free-flying birds!! There's a nice mention of him in "Zoovet" by David Taylor.

9. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They also had the UK's first and only gerenuk.

10. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

What is the difference between a 'cage' and an 'enclosure'?

11. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Good question, I suppose they mean the same thing. However todays "Cages" are a lot bigger.

12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

no, no, now they're called "habitats" don't you know...

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

from Anthony Smith's "Animals On View" (1977):

14. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

most zoos back then had small enclosure, just been looking at the dedication site for it, good collection they had shame it had to close :(

15. Pertinax

16. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

I refer to a cage as a small, square, barred exhibit, whereas an enclosure would be a large, open paddock-type exhibit. If that's any help?

17. knie

knie Member

I remember Belle Vue very well, from the 60s to when it closed... For all its faults, such as the urban location, pollution and the speedway stadium, the dog track (which is still in operation today), the fun fair etc., it still had many good points.... I especially remember the bear terraces (polar bears bred here), some nice big cat enclosures, the reptile house where alligators laid eggs (don't know if they hatched), the ungulate paddocks etc. The Tropical River House was quite a good development for its time, attached to the Elephant House. They had Malayan Tapirs and Pygmy Hippos - I think Hercules was present right up to the zoo closing and he went to Cleethorpes. I don't think they moved him out because of his habit of devouring birds.

The end was very sad - I remember seeing Ellie May inside the Elephant House one winter, most of the zoo was shut down. No other zoo wanted to offer her a home.

In later years, my brother worked as a surveyor, and went to survey some of the new homes built on the site - a workman told him that during the building works they had dug up bones of animals such as a giraffe.... I find this hard to believe, largely because they would not be allowed to bury animals in the grounds for health and safety reasons, and also because there wasn't much undeveloped land which would accommodate such burials.

18. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

Depends - they might be Victorian remains, and they didn't really have such scruples. What I find odd is that the remains (when they were first buried) weren't sold anywhere, especially if they were Victorian.

19. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

Having watched the video, the zoo enclosures do look brutal by today's standards (the gorilla pit, lion cage, elephant paddock and indoor monkey house were the worst IMO), but in 1976, I guess they were quite decent and Grayson did seem to have a genuine love for his beasts.

Had it survived, no doubt Belle Vue Zoo would resemble our other theme-park/zoo hybrids, like Chessington, Drayton, etc.

20. zelda

zelda Well-Known Member

I don't think there are any rules against burying dead animals - I remember when they built legoland they dug up remains from windsor safari park, and if you go to dartmoor zoo they have an animal graveyard, and headstone for a lion.