Join our zoo community

Memphis Zoo Memphis Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 27 May 2008.

1. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. vogelcommando

5. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. vogelcommando

7. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. TZFan

9. Milwaukee Man

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. TZFan

11. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

According to a post on the zoo's Facebook page, they received two additional female African elephants on July 31st. The post does not specify where Daisy and Bambi came from, nor does it give any indication of their age. Scrolling the through comments, some individuals suggest that they came from a circus.
    Another poster said that the rhinos were relocated to an area near the zebras, freeing up some additional (and much needed, albeit arguably insufficient) space for the new arrivals. There is no confirmation from the zoo though if this is accurate.

12. michaelarthur

michaelarthur Active Member 5+ year member

I don’t know if it’s correct but I heard they came from Ringling Bros. the rhinos have moved to a new barn and will soon be on display in an expanded (actually doubled since it includes the old Bontebok yard which they moved over to the round barn) yard with the zebra and oryx, according to the latest issue of Exzooberance. This effectively doubles the elephants continuous space and is a huge upgrade for the rhinos. I just hope the new girls get along well with the three already there.
    This is all a ‘first step’ in the plans to upgrade the African Veldt area of the zoo, what’s next remains to be seen but I hope it includes more species in the main Veldt, changes to giraffes, and hopefully an expanded elephant habitat (if you’re familiar with the the zoo I’m hoping they’ll expand down past the current camel ride area).

In other general news there are now blue crane with the Nyala in Zambezi and the Yellow-backed Duiker are signed but not displayed with the okapi anymore. The white-bellied pangolin that have been on display in then nocturnal building since March have finally really acclimated and I’ve now seen both of them active.

13. Milwaukee Man

EsserWarrior and StoppableSan like this.
  14. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ringling only owns asian elephants, so they two did not come from there. Looking at instagram comments these 2 elephants are retirees from another circus. Its interesting to see memphis picked to receive them as they have one of the smallest exhibits in an AZA zoo and already has 3 elephants in it. I hope the zoo has plans in coming years to expand the space, as it appears to be both outdated and tiny for 5 elephants.

A quuck measurement I just did puts the outdoor space at .7 acres. There is significant space towards the camels to expand though. About an acre, maybe even 1.5 acres if they move some maintainence buildings. The easiest thing would likely be building a new barn on the site of the camel exhibit, and then using the existing exhibit and current barn for the outdoor exhibits.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2018
    StoppableSan likes this.
  15. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe Asali is going to be transferred to a breeding facility.

16. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

The Memphis Zoo acquired 0.1 Daisy and 0.1 Bambi from Circus Pages in Myakka City, Florida.

Daisy and Bambi were both born in 1975 and were captured in Africa in 1976. The first documentation of them in the US was at Barnum & Bailey's Ringling Brothers Circus in Venice, Florida in 1976. In 1989, Daisy and Bambi were transferred to Jurgen Schulz in Catskill, New York. Then in 1990, Daisy and Bambi were transferred to Circus Pages in Myakka City, Florida where they resided until their recent transfer to the Memphis Zoo.

The following information was obtained from the links below:
    North American African Elephant Studbook 2011
    North American African Elephant Studbook 2008

The information regarding Daisy and Bambi may vary depending on the source.

snowleopard likes this.
  17. michaelarthur

michaelarthur Active Member 5+ year member

We’ll see what gets built and when, whatever it is will probably be after they pay their 1.5 million half of the new parking lot and it’s finished during the next off season. I think ideally any new barn for the elephants should be in that keeper area to maximize space but again, we’ll see.
    Asali is not going anywhere, I’m sure that a part of the reason Memphis accepted these new elephant and is so that when Tyranza (knock on wood) eventually does pass they won’t have to scramble to find another female to meet accreditation standards. Besides with AI Memphis “is” a breeding facility lol. Of course this is not not the first time elephants have come to the zoo like this, Gina came from a private owner as well.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2018
    StoppableSan likes this.
  18. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

But I don't think Memphis has any room for calves.

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can bet that Torre Design will be at the helm of designing the new African Veldt, as Ace Torre did say that Zambezi would either be the finale or the entryway to a new African section. Their original master plan showcases spacious paddocks with a village at the center (interesting locations/designs for pachyderms), but that was completed in 2001-2003 when Zambezi and the new Sea Lion exhibit in Northwest Passage weren't even conceived, with Zambezi destined to becoming an events lawn.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.