Join our zoo community

Jardin des Plantes Menagerie du Jardin des Plantes visit

Discussion in 'France' started by MRJ, 2 Aug 2012.

1. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I like to include the full title because firstly the Jardin des Plantes is more than just the Menagerie, it also includes a botanic garden and three museums, and secondly because it very much is an old style Menagerie.

It would be fair to say there is not a single major exhibit built in this zoo since the Second World War, and that many date back to the 19th Century. In fact it was nominated in another thread as a zoo museum, and certainly this is not an unfair description.

Having said that on my visit I only saw evidence of first class husbandry, with many notable species breeding.

This is not a zoo where you will see many of the typical zoo animals. There are no lions or tigers, bears, giraffes or elephants. Rather the management have obviously made a decision to downsize to house animals that are more comfortable in the confines of the small 19thC enclosures. Thus what I presume was a bear pit houses a family of binterongs. It was a delight to watch the cubs climb their artificial "tree". Likewise the large traditional cat house has been modified to give reasonable enclosures for leopards, and they have successfully bred clouded leopards there. Overall they seem to concentrate on program species as well, and there are quite a number of unusual species.

The only areas I felt at all uncomfortable with some of the enclosures from the point of view of the animals welfare was around the primate house, and some of the bird aviaries.

The reptile house is quite remarkable, with the original wooden cabinets still in place. And the walk through aviary, about the same age as the reptile house (1880's?) is of quite a beautiful design.

This is a zoo that all zoo enthusiasts should visit if they get a chance, to see how things used to be, without feeling the inhabitants are suffering because of it.

I should add this is a very small zoo, only 9 acres (3.6 ha) and reputedly the oldest public zoo in the world, having been established during the French Revolution.

Travel trip: You can get to the zoo easily on the Batobus, a boat that runs up and down the river and stops at a number of other monuments as well.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2012
    FunkyGibbon likes this.
  2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

A question please. Did you visit the main zoology museum (La Grande Galerie de l’Evolution) whilst you were at the Jardin des Plantes and if so was there a kouprey on display?

The type specimen of kouprey was at Vincennes Zoo in the 1930s and, on another thread, I recall somebody posting that its mounted skin was exhibited in Paris at this museum; however, frustratingly, I’ve never seen it displayed on any of my visits. Possibly it was just on show as part of a temporary exhibition?

Until about 25 years ago the historic Reptile House looked even more old-fashioned; on my first few visits to the Jardin des Plantes Menagerie (in the early 1980s) the crocodilians were still kept behind the original spiked railings and the Reptile House looked much the same as on some of the old postcards from the early 1900s. These spiked railings had been removed by 1987 (when I returned to Paris especially to see the aye-ayes and other rare lemurs at Vincennes Zoo); the alterations to the crocodilian exhibit certainly made it more aesthetically pleasing but spoiled the historic character of the Reptile House.

I wholeheartedly agree; it is a fascinating place, essential visiting for any zoo enthusiast with an interest in zoo history.

3. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Sorry didn't get to visit the Museums. I was travelling with my partner and while she is happy to walk around zoos then find a coffee while I "finish them off" she won't come at museums of stuffed animals. That will have to wait till I am in Paris with some time of my own.

4. Tim May

Thanks for your answer anyway; if you do return to Paris a visit to the museums at the Jardin des Plantes is thoroughly recommended.

5. carlos77

carlos77 Well-Known Member

I have been to the Jardin des Plantes at least 3 times and it very interesting see from the point of view of the history of zoos and biology in general. It is a national historical heritage site and so the modifications are most be minimal. I enjoyed visiting the menagerie and the natural history museum next door. The breeding programs at the menagerie are outstanding, but i think the gaur and orangutan deserve large living quarters, though both have bred well. The hall of extinct animals at the natural history is stunning. Since the menagerie is so old, the collection of animals it has given to the museum includes many rarities. I saw the kouprey, Tim May mentioned but did not photograph it, since picture taking is limited inthe extinct animal hall. Yes, on my last visit the kouprey had been removed. But the quagga, thylacine and others were still there. The menagerie and the museum together make for a great visit.

6. Tim May

You’re lucky to have seen the kouprey; it has never been on exhibit on any of my visits. I’m very envious.

I agree that the display of extinct animals is fascinating. For me the highlight there is the blaubok; the only other specimen I’ve seen is at Leiden.

7. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No sign of the kouprey on my visit last week . I was very impressed with the Museum , the parade of African mammals with adult giraffe , elephant and hippo are dwarfed by the vast size of the central Hall . The simulated thunder storm I experienced was spectacular .

I particularly enjoyed seeing Siam , the deceased Asian elephant from the Parc Zoologique , again - I will post some photos .

Lighting levels are very low throughout and particularly in the superb Gallery of Endangered and Extict species . Flash photography is not allowed .

8. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I've been mulling over writing a trip report, but until then I thought I'd add a couple notes on here. That family of binturongs is no more; a solitary, elderly female remains. She spends most of the day sleeping in the night house.

Every cat house I've been in has the unmistakable smell of urine. No matter how well they clean, it lingers. I was expecting the same thing in the Fauverie, but was pleasantly surprised at the absence of eau de chat. I can't be certain of the actual material, but it looked like they had spread wood chips across all of the night houses. This was an interesting touch and I'd be interested to see if any other zoos had taken up this idea.

Kifaru Bwana and MRJ like this.