Join our zoo community

Highland Wildlife Park Mercedes The Polar Bear.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jb.lancashire, 6 Dec 2009.

1. jb.lancashire

jb.lancashire Active Member

:)Has anyone been up to the Highland Wild Life park recently and seen Mercedies? is she enjoying her new life, I saw all the news reports and videos at the time she moved up there but have not heard anything recently I wondered if anyone had seen her recently and could say if she is still making good use of her new facilities?

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There's a photo of her on the Edinburgh Zoo blog surronded by snow but hiding out in her indoor shelter!

3. Simon McGlary

Simon McGlary Well-Known Member

I've spoken to a few people who have been up there and she seems to be loving it.

I've also been told that her old enclosures is actually pretty huge when you are actually inside it! From the angle view you have it makes it look so small. Very much a perspective thing!

Basically she's been moved from a perfectly adequate to luxury and she knows it!

4. jb.lancashire

jb.lancashire Active Member

Mercedes

:)Thanks to both of you for the info and picture, the hyper link to the picture is below if anyone else wants to look at it.
    RZSS Zoo Blog

5. aaronsneddon

aaronsneddon Member

6. Simon McGlary

Simon McGlary Well-Known Member

Looking at those pictures alone you would never guess that you were looking a a captive polar bear! It looks more like a polar bear near civilisation that is eating a salmon that someone has carelessly discarded! She always looked healthy at the zoo but she looks stunning in those pictures. If ANYONE has any doubtsas to the long terms intentions of Edinburgh Zoo, Highland Wildlife Park and The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland's housing, care and standards of welfare fot the animals then I would say look at what they've done for Mercedes, look at Budongo Trail. It's going to be nothing short of the best for these animals!
    That looks like the best move for any captive animal though, short of a re-release into the wild!

7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. foz

foz Well-Known Member

a european-bison-yak? I think the photgrapher is a bit confused, is it a yak? is it a bison? will we ever know ;)

but it is a very good pic :D

9. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

I have heard she is absolutely loving it in the Highlands! especially with all the snow they have up there! It was the right decision to move her I think.