Join our zoo community

Franklin Zoo (Closed) Mila the Elephant's Future

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 18 Apr 2013.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard anything recently about plans for Mila's future, although today, almost one year after her death, the coroner's report into Dr Helen Schofield's death was released. Summary of information available so far is available here: http://www.zoochat.com/17/elephant-kills-woman-franklin-zoo-269075/, and also here: http://www.zoochat.com/17/closure-animal-transfers-298445/

Story here: 'Gentle' death of elephant handler Dr Helen Schofield... | Stuff.co.nz

Note that the article gets the date wrong by a year, it should say 2012 not 2011.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I just saw that article and was pondering whether to post it or not, considering the way the last thread about it turned out.

3. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

Mila shouldw be leaving in a few months time to a sanctuary in America as I was told by my friend who use to work there

4. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. driftaguy

Source: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Franklin-Zoo-and-Wildlife-Sanctuary/348396615592

6. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Whereabouts in the US is she going to?

7. Chlidonias

hmm, a rather different take. This article from five days ago:
    Life in isolation for killer elephant - National - NZ Herald News

8. zofan

zofan Member

Everyone seems to be more keen on coming up with excuses to keep the elephant where it is.
    I presume the elephant herpes given as the reason an African Elephant can't be housed with an Indian refers to endotheliotropic herpesvirus, which in African elephants is usually benign, while a strain can prove fatal to Indian elephants. However Indian elephants can also be carriers of the disease without being affected by it, and pass it on to other indian elephants which can die.
    The African elephant has had no contact with other elephants for most of it's life I believe and therefore would be unikely to be infacted with this strain. Older elephants showing no signs of the disease are unlikely to be infacted, but its a simple matter to test for the disease and many zoos have been doing so for quite a few years to avoid transmitting the strain.

As for the comment that the permit procedure takes nine months, I'm sure the plans to move it to the US have been going on far longer than that.

9. Chlidonias

the only people who seem to be making excuses to keep the elephant where it is are the people at Franklin. Everyone else seems instead to be very keen on knowing exactly why nothing has been done!!

10. zofan

zofan Member

My mistake, on re reading I see it was the Auckland Zoo spokesperson who gave herpes as a reason, I assumed it was Franklin who were using it as an excuse to not move the elephant to Auckland.
    So herpes isn't a reason unless the African elephant has been checked and has been proven to be a carrier, in which event no zoo or sanctuary in the world would accept her.

Im amazed to see this is still ongoing, I honesltly thought it would have been solved way back.
    I recall well over a year ago it being said the elephant needed special training to travel in the crate for transport, which seemed strange since she spent most of her life being transported around the country in a box on wheels.

Obviously if there has been a delay its because the people in charge want it to be delayed.

11. Chlidonias

12. loxodontaafrica

loxodontaafrica Well-Known Member

Auckland plans on breeding elephants upon the arrival of two young Sri Lankan cows (should that work out). EEHV is typically deadly to Asian elephant calves, rather than African. And as Mila is supposedly going to the geriatric herd at PAWS it will not be a issue regardless.

13. zofan

zofan Member

Thanks for that from the US, maybe there will be some progress. I'd heard she was off to the US a long time ago, it was pretty much front page news here for a long time before being taken over by some other event such as Justin Beiber saying a rude word to a reporter or similar.
    So with it being out of the media attention for so long I and I presume others figured it had been done and dusted.
    The delay and the excuses given for the delay are hard to believe though.

14. loxodontaafrica

loxodontaafrica Well-Known Member

Personally I feel PAWS will focus on Mila when they finnish their current project which has been over two years in the making in bringing in three females from the Toronto Zoo which should take place after thanksgiving (late November). Not that the Franklin Zoo authorities aren't equally to blame.

15. PRT

PRT New Member

There are a lot of opinions and accusations flying around regarding the motives of the Franklin Zoo... have any of you ever contacted the Zoo to see what's happening? Have you asked about Mila? Do you know anyone at Franklin Zoo? What you are saying are pretty harsh criticisms if you have never met anyone there caring for Mila.

Have any of you ever offered to help? If you have what kind of help? Telling them what they should be doing and where she should go is the opposite of help.

I am guessing based on the history of the zoo and the kind of facility it was the people there are just doing their best to take care of the animals and make sure they are safe. The animals at that zoo were not flash. They were all zoo or circus rejects. People that take in those kinds of animals tend to not be money grubbing and animal users.

If they aren't constantly in the media it is probably because they are too busy taking care of the animals. If they were out there in the media more you would probably complain that they were using her to get famous.

I feel bad for the people at Franklin Zoo. No matter what they do people like you are going to hammer them. They can't win.

If you have not donated to Mila's care or her transport you do not deserve or have the right to know or comment on what they are doing. YOU have not helped Mila.

16. zofan

zofan Member

Good points you bring up. But if I can address some of them.
    I agree the people who ran Franklin Zoo were hard working animal lovers who took in ex circus animals and strived to give them a good home. I know all of their lions (now deceased) were ex circus lions.
    However the main person in the zoo during this time was Dr Schofield, so the people who run it now are not the same ones who took in the circus animals. The present people have been closing the zoo down, getting rid of the animals, and meanwhile asking for funding to pay for the transport of the elephant.

As for offering help, I have personally done so both by email and phone. I had a return email telling me how to donate money to the cause, and the lady who spoke to me on the phone told me they didn't need any volunteers or helpers and advised me to look at their website for donation options.
    I did ask her what the plans were, but she said she couldn't comment.
    As for what sort of assistence I offered, I could have donated haylage, hay and some crops and transported them for free, and having been involved in air freighting horses overseas I have some experience in that field too.
    However I was told that was all under control and they had no need of help in those areas.
    This was some time ago, which is why I am a bit surprised to see the elephant is still in NZ and needing almost round the clock care.

17. TerryT

TerryT New Member

I donated to Franklin Zoo when Mila first went there, and again when Dr Schofield was killed. My understanding was that Mila was going to be moved to a sanctuary in the United States as quickly as possible - that in fact Dr Schofield had already made arrangements. However, it doesn't seem as if any progress has been made. I rang the zoo many months ago and was referred to the website if I wanted to make a donation, but I would have expected something more if there is any intention of moving Mila. Some kind of fundraising campaign to say the least. PRT, if you know the people at Franklin Zoo, and I get the impression you do, then perhaps you could ask what's happening?

I'm concerned about how my money has been used to be honest. I gave in good faith and wonder if I've been taken for a ride.

18. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Permits have been filed to import her into the U.S. Its just a process that takes a long time.

19. TerryT

TerryT New Member

How long? And where will she go?

20. driftaguy

Mila the elephant US bound

Source: Mila the Elephant US Bound - national | Stuff.co.nz