Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo news 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 5 Jan 2014.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Found this the other day. Go to Part L in the Overview section, and it shows a few future projects including:

The previously mentioned second entrance area (to open in 2015), the long awaited hippo exhibit (to open in 2016), Adventure Africa (Phase 1 to open in 2018, and maybe a second phase the following year), and Alaska Cold Coast (to open in 2023 - only sea lions were mentioned).

http://county.milwaukee.gov/ImageLi...ment/bids/RFP1/MCZooFoodCateringRetailRFP.pdf

2. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wait a minute.. wait a minute. Is this an actual thing that's happening? :D I really hope we get some more info on the Alaska Cold Coast and Adventure Africa SOON!!! :D I can't wait to see these things completed! And all of them in the next 10 years? Its gonna bump Milwaukee up even higher on the zoo totem pole!

3. Milwaukee Man

I really hope so! I'm actually going to the Zoo on Saturday (winter guide training), so maybe I can find out a bit more (and catch the new snow leopard and jaguar cubs as well). :D

4. Wild wolverine

I hope so too! Have fun and Saturday, and good luck with the information. I have yet to see Sossy awake and moving, I've been there 3 times and all three times he was sleeping in the log :(

5. Milwaukee Man

6. Milwaukee Man

Ah, fall. In my opinion, the most beautiful time of the year to visit Milwaukee County Zoo. After winter guide training, I walked around for a while, and here are a few updates:

*Still no construction on the second entrance complex. The completion is still planned for sometime next year, but I honestly don't see it happening.

*There was an emu out in the Australian exhibit, but it seemed to be smaller than the one I normally saw on exhibit. Maybe a new arrival?

*Still nothing new with the black bear renovations.

*The pool at the Oceans of Fun show arena (where the sea lion shows take place) is getting repaired, so most of the sea lions have been sent to Brookfield Zoo temporarily. A few seals and a single sea lion stayed behind, and are living in a pool exhibit in the indoor pachyderm area (before being blocked off, it used to be the indoor pool for the Malayan tapir).

*As reported on here, there is a new male Bactrian camel named Stan.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: It was baby animals galore! The jaguar cubs were out playing, I saw the harbor seal pup (now named King Julian) after a pretty long time, the tree kangaroo joey is still cute despite being nearly the size of mom, and there was an alpaca baby born in August. But, the real show stealer of my visit was the snow leopard cub Sossy. He was climbing all around the top part of the habitat, and even took a few leaps from one ledge to another. Honestly, I now think the tree kangaroo joey has some competition for cutest animal baby I've seen so far.

With the snow leopard cub, jaguar cubs, Milwaukee's first caracal in a decade, and the return of cheetahs, 2014 has been a great year for cats in Milwaukee.

I am hoping to get some photos up soon.

7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Wild wolverine

WHAT???? The what?? :( :confused: Well thats no good :eek:

9. TZFan

It does sound like someone made a tragic and fatal mistake.

10. Milwaukee Man

I couldn't agree more. This is absolutely terrible news, and a tragic accident that easily could've been prevented.

R.I.P. Anahish. :(

11. Wild wolverine

Totally could have been avoided. Don't they have precautions or a least an emergency plan to stop something from getting injured (or in this case KILLED) in case stuff like this happens? :(

12. TZFan

There are plans and safety measures to prevent it in the first place. Unfortunately the animals are cared for by humans who sometimes make tragic mistakes they will spend the rest of their lives wishing they could take back. And once Zean was in the wrong space Im sure an emergency protocol went into effect but sometimes its already too late. Im a little surprised it was a cub who died and not their mother going all out to defend her cubs. It's incredibly unfortunate but it will happen from time to time.

Winnipeg's Assiniboine Park and Zoo lost a 19 year old Amur tiger to a similar mistake. Something went wrong and he ended up in his two year old grand nephews' cage and one of the much younger boys killed him. It was over before keepers even had a chance to try and separate them.

Hopefully this tragic loss will encourage keepers at the zoo to be extra cautious in the future. But they are still humans. I'm sure the keeper responsible is devastated.

13. Wild wolverine

Good point. I'd hate to be the zoo worker that left the door open...

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Surmises it to the point and I can only echo your words.
    I am sure the keeper(s) involved are devastated.

15. Milwaukee Man

16. Milwaukee Man

17. Milwaukee Man

18. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited this zoo for the first time in a few years on 12/6 for a free day -- saw tons of baby animals, including King Julian, Sossy, one of the Jaguar cubs, three young penguins, and three baby Bonobos. The animals were all surprisingly active for the winter months, although the big cats and pachyderms were all all inside - I've never seen a Tiger so active in a zoo before. The surviving baby Jaguar cub is back on display, and I believe someone inquired about the Tayra a while ago -- it's still off-exhibit, although the Nocturnal House remained a huge highlight - the armadillos, sugar gliders and kinkajou were especially active! Was nice seeing elephants since Chicago's are all gone now. My only disappointment is I failed to remember that most of the African hoofstock is transferred to winter holding areas until the end of the trip. The Japanese macaques were also off-display, and many of the bears were hibernating. The gorillas weren't to be found either. thought they used to have King penguins but they had Gentoo and Rockhoppers indoors and a trainer out with the Humboldts. Had very good luck in othe respects - this was my first trip to catch the zoo's elderly Malayan Tapir, met the new Red panda, first sight of Rhinos in all of my zoo trips this year, and the Whooping Cranes were an unexpected treat. I don't think I've seen Cheetahs or Spotted Hyenas before either.

19. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

How old is Moola at Dickerson Park- the Moola who lived with Annie, Tamara and Lota?

20. Milwaukee Man