Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo news 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 1 Jan 2015.

1. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Update 9/26/15:
    Today I was able to see the zoo's newest addition (a baby giraffe!) for the first time. Born on September 16, the baby boy remains without a name as of right now.
    A lot of action and movement in the Small Mammal House over the past few weeks! The Goeldi's monkey family, with little baby Finn, have moved back into their former exhibit that held the lone Golden-headed Lion tamarin. Judging by the golden-headed tamarin's age, I think it's safe to say that he most likely passed away. The exhibit where the Goeldi's monkeys lived for only about 1 year, is now home to the zoo's 2 Dwarf Mongooses. I personally feel like this was a poor move by the zoo because the old mongoose exhibit had plenty of sand to dig in, and it had a termite mound to climb. The exhibit that they moved into only has two small sand pits, and no termite mound. As of what is to happen in the old mongoose exhibit, I am not sure. But the Small Mammal House isn't opposed to giving one animal 2-3 exhibit spaces. (Of all of the buildings at the Milwaukee County Zoo, I must say that the Small Mammals is the smallest, and most out-dated building) My guess for the old mongoose exhibit is that they might let the meerkats (who's exhibit is next door) have access to it, giving the meerkats 3 of the small exhibits. This is just my guess, however. Only time will tell what happens.
    Other than that, baby harbor seal Siku and baby gorilla Sulaiman continue to grow and be well.

4. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Milwaukee Man

6. Wild wolverine

I'm so happy that they're finally going to give her some shade!!! :D

7. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do you guys think the construction of the new elephant exhibit will cause the zoo to stop exhibiting Moose, considering they're such a rare species in zoos? I'm sure wolves will be back somehow or another. Nonetheless great to hear more room for elephants!

8. Wild wolverine

The only place that I could see them moving the moose to is either the caribou or elk exhibits, and replacing the caribou/elk or possibly rotating them? Both the caribou and elk exhibits are similar in design and some of the largest exhibits at the zoo. Unless they build an entirely new exhibit for moose or get rid of the species completely. I don't know, those are my guesses. Time will tell :eek:

9. Milwaukee Man

Here's an interesting article about a past tragedy. When the Zoo was open in its original location in Washington Park, wolves and three bear species (polar, black, and grizzly) were exhibited together. It ended with the black bears being drowned by the polar bears.

A sad historical zoo story: Wolves and bears in the same enclosure.

JVM likes this.
  10. Milwaukee Man

11. Wild wolverine

YYEEEESSSSSS!!!!! :D:D:D:D Overdue indeed! I'm glad they're giving them an outdoor space!!!

12. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Max, the adult male Amur tiger from the Brookfield Zoo, arrived at the Milwaukee County Zoo today.

13. Milwaukee Man

14. Wild wolverine

I'm not complaining or anything, but what's with all of these new felines? It's GREAT but we have a pretty good supply I think... :confused:

15. Milwaukee Man

I have some updates on when I walked around after training last Saturday:

*The octopus tank is now full of water and has an occupant.

*Bears: construction on the shade structure in the polar bear exhibit is in full swing, and the black bear exhibit has been prepped so that plants can be installed in the spring.

*Diana monkey exhibit is still empty.

*Tommy the orangutan seems to be doing all right since the death of his buddy M.J. back in September.

*On the board in the Animal Health Center, the following are in quarantine: eight male Chilean flamingos and a pair of hognose snakes.

*It didn’t look like construction was taking place on the second entry area and otter exhibit.

*We had another Goeldi’s monkey born earlier this month – no luck in finding it though.

*I tried to find out more about the colobus monkey project, but no one knows the details yet.

*Sulaiman the baby gorilla is nearly a year old, and was as playful as ever. He loves to mess around with our older female Femelle.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: The baby giraffe, Tafari, definitely was the best part. For the most part, he was outside browsing from a hanging feeder right next to the cable fence just a few feet away from guests. He and Marlee (one of the females) also seem to get along quite well from what I saw too.

Hope to get some photos up soon.

16. Milwaukee Man

17. Wild wolverine

The polar bear, Snow Lilly, is back out on exhibit now that the new shade structure is up. Personal opinion: It's an eye-sore. But at least it will give her some shade in her all concrete exhibit...

18. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member