Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo news 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 2 Jan 2017.

1. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think you mean over half a century old.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, he's not wrong :p

Andrew_NZP and pachyderm pro like this.
  3. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Technically correct is the best kind of correct.

4. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really hope that something is done with that exhibit. I was with a coworker and reshowing her the Australian exhibit, or what remains of it, and we popped out near the dall sheep, she forgot that it was even there. When looking at the exhibit, its overgrown, not much really there, and the sign that is suppose to tell you about the dall sheep is hidden behind the planters all summer. Needless to say, the exhibit is either needing renovation like you mentioned, or just needs to be removed all together. Overall, a really sad exhibit at the zoo.

Does anyone know what is happening to the tree kangaroos that are still in the Australian exhibit? Are the staying or leaving? Was thinking that they may take over the sloth exhibit in the small mammals building, and the sloth being moved to somewhere else.

@pachyderm pro while talking to the zoo keeper, did you learn anything else?

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I really hope the Tree kangaroos stay. I'd love to see them again and they're a unique species around here.

Wild wolverine likes this.
  6. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the sloth exhibit would be too small for tree kangaroos. MAYBE one could live in the exhibit, but I'm hoping a new Australian exhibit is somewhere in the master plan, although that hasn't been mentioned yet I dont believe. I would even be happy with just a tree kangaroo exhibit (indoor and outdoor) somewhere else in the zoo, similar to the aardvarks at Brookfield Zoo having their own exhibit and building. I just really like the tree kangaroos!

7. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I found this old video of the zoo from 1989, its quite interesting.

- I cant believe that there were once 4 Asian elephants in the current yard!

- I never knew the zoo had a black jaguar. And with Maras and flamingos, South America sounds a little more exciting back then

- Dolphins were also a surprise to see! It looks like they lived in the current sea lion stadium.

- It was cool the zoo once had 2 hyena species even though the cheetahs probably had little space to run during rotation.

JVM, csura999 and Wild wolverine like this.
  8. MKE Zoo guy

I did hear the zoo director mention in one of the county meetings that Australia is in the master plan. So there is still hope that Australia may be coming back to Milwaukee

Wild wolverine likes this.
  9. MKE Zoo guy

It looks like we have to wait until 2019 for the completed 1st phase of Adventure Africa, according to promotional material I received in mail today. Promoting sponsoring the animal enrichment for the elephant exhibit.

10. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Updates from yesterday's visit:

*The Australia building is completely empty of animals except for a trio of tree kangaroos and a few tortoises in the outdoor yard - getting real now! :D

*A golden lion tamarin was born on June 28th.

*New antelope: the new yellow-backed duiker, Aria, is settling in nicely. She was hanging out in a corner for a bit, before walking along the edge of the exhibit, grazing along the way. The trio of male Thomson's gazelles is also doing well in their new home - it's nice to see that exhibit get a little more life and species injected.

*Red panda renovations are now complete. The entire exhibit is enclosed in black mesh apart from the mock rock and the window viewing, which is a little distracting when looking up at the pandas, but at least they now have 24/7 access to the exhibit.

*One of the elderly American black bears is in the former Asian black bear exhibit.

*Adventure Africa: nothing has been done yet construction-wise - the entire area is overgrown in weeds and tall grass, though I believe activity should be taking place quite soon. The exhibit is indeed now not scheduled to open until 2019, but I'm happy they won't be rushing the project now.

*West Entrance: two buildings seem to be mostly done, and they look great. They looked like ticket booths and/or offices, but it was a little hard to tell.

*Bactrian camel calves Patrick and George, born in March and May, and kudu calf Noola, born in April, are doing well.

*While chatting with a keeper, I learned about what's to come in the former caracal exhibit. An African cat will indeed be inhabiting the vacant space eventually! In terms of what species, nothing is 100% yet.

11. pachyderm pro

12. pachyderm pro

13. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to CetaBase, Duchess is currently at the Mirage Dolphin Habitat, and was known by "Nugget" for some period of her time at Milwaukee. It seems a little confusing on her history, seeming to shift between Dolphin Connection and Milwaukee several times between 1982 and 1989, before ending up at the Mirage Habitat the next year - it appears she likely wasn't at Milwaukee for long.

I didn't have luck finding much further information.

14. pachyderm pro

15. MKE Zoo guy

Today's visit:

Talked with a zoo ambassador, looks like all the paperwork for the first phase of Adventure Africa has been signed and it's only a matter of time before the construction begins. They mentioned that the new estimated opening is May 2019 for the exhibit. They also confirmed that it was more than likely that the zoo would be getting a male elephant once the exhibit opened, although no timeline on when the third elephant would arrive. The zoo amabassor quickly added that the zoo would not be breeding elephants in Milwaukee. Asked about if the male elephant would be sharing the same exhibit at the same time or if the exhibit would be split and they did not know. They brought up about when male elephants go into musk and wasn't sure how that was going to affect the exhibit. Then proceeded to walked by the construction area and now construction company signs are up and so are the rules for the construction area. Hopefully this means an announcement is coming soon.

Noticed a couple of animal signs were missing around different exhibits.

Wanted to find out if the black bear had moved to the empty big cat yard instead of sharing it with the brown bear, but couldn't find anyone to ask.

The cooler weather seemed to be a pleasant relief for the animals, many of them were grazing and overall being more active.

Overall there seems to be a lot of little things going on as they are preparing for the fall season and beyond.

csura999 likes this.
  16. pachyderm pro

17. MKE Zoo guy

I've spent some time reading/ thinking/ pondering about how Milwaukee is one of the worse zoos for elephants because of our cold weather, small space, as well as many more reasons, and this petition and if they are really crazy for starting it. With that being said, I have lived in Milwaukee area for most of my life and recognize that winter starts early and then never wants to leave. So when thinking about the elephants, they can only be outside when the temperature is above a determined mark. This gives the elephants not that much time to be in the outdoors, and when they are indoors they are kept in cramp space and seperated (currently). Elephants are social creatures and travel in groups, currently Milwaukee does not have great conditions. Although when the new exhibit opens in 2 years time (if they stay on track with construction) the elephants will have more room to move around both indoor and out.

However, since I haven't seen any particular plans for the elephant barn, I have to wonder, will they be getting a large indoor exhibit so that they can roam around in the winter/colder periods?

I've seen exhibits where elephants are being housed (mostly Asian elephants) where they have an indoor exhibit for times where they need to bring the elephants indoors. As much attention is going into the elephants getting better care according to AZA standards for outdoors and holding areas, shouldn't there also be something on their indoor exhibit too?

So are these activists crazy, I'm not sure, but they do raise several good points that the zoo needs to address. For in the end it's about educating the public about saving what's in the wild while taking care of those ambassords who are bring the awareness.

betsy, snowleopard and Arizona Docent like this.
  18. pachyderm pro

19. MKE Zoo guy

20. MKE Zoo guy

Just got back from the zoo today and was able to get some pictures of the first phase of Adventure Africa, I will put the link down below. Overall not a lot has changed, although now that the Australia Building closed they closed down the pathway on both sides. You will be able to see it better in the pictures I think. Don't worry the lone Dall Sheep you can still see him and keep him company.

It also still interest me, that they are promoting animal enrichment objects for the elephants new home but yet still has not done a formal ground breaking or press release of whats to come.

As for the new giraffe he seems to doing well, mom is being protective and giving everyone the stink eye when the walk into the Giraffe home. While mom is on the wire fence, the baby seems to be relaxing in the back corner. He does not have a name yet, and at birth he was 5'10 and a 150 lbs.

Besides the new giraffe and the construction prep work starting, the zoo is fairly quiet with kids back in school, and fall starting to settle in. I am looking forward to the next couple of weeks to see how the zoo will change with the change of seasons.

Milwaukee County Zoo Adventure Africa
    Let me know if there is something specific you want to see more of or if I should continue on taking progress photos