Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo news 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 2 Jan 2018.

1. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member

Boy is it cold out. Had the day off and went exploring the zoo. A lot of animals were off exhibit both outside (which was expected since it was 8 out ish) and inside which surprised me.

Notes of interest. Construction has been stalled on both Adventure Africa and the West side enterance, which is expected due to the holidays. The serval, African cat, exhibit is almost fully open. There is just one more piece of paper blocking the exhibit.

Also, I noticed awhile back, the zoo has some duplicates of some primates in both the primates building and small mammals, the Cotton Top Tamarian and the Goeldi’s. This surprises me! I feel that the small mammal building is a neglected area cause there is less variety of species of animals that could be there, and the vacant exhibits become expand ones for others. The armadillo for example has been moved to a larger exhibit, plus a smaller one next to it. It appears to be a bit much, and the same goes for the Tamarians, and the Goeldis. Also they have continued promote otters but the otters haven’t been in the building for over a year. Maybe it’s time for a new sponsor for the building to rejuvenate the building.

2. csura999

csura999 Active Member

Visited the zoo today for the first time since the Summer, and was surprised to see some new animals on exhibit that weren't there previously:

Two chevrotains are in the bird aviary with the bleeding-heart pigeons--the zoo has only had them for about a month. The zoo also has agoutis that will soon be displayed in the Small Mammal building!

Also, there is a pig-nosed turtle in the African lakes area! This wasn't something I was expecting to see.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

What species of chevrotain? What species of agouti? Where did all these animals come from? Do you have photos?

savetherhino likes this.
  4. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member

I can’t imagine the agouti exhibit being any good. They’ll probably be with the sloth and the area is really small. It’s not like the other glass boxes are that big either. Still a very cool species.

In other news, I donated $50 to the new hoofstock and bird building in Adventure Africa. I have faith it will be put to good use.

5. MKE Zoo guy

After seeing that there are some new animals at the zoo I decided to take a quick trip to the zoo to see for myself. With the agoutis still not on display I looked for the other new animals. In the big cat building the paper is still not completely off of the Serval exhibit, though there is one small piece left.

Moving on to the Aviary watching the chevrotains running around their exhibit.

And lastly construction has continued on with Adventure Africa. Hopefully soon we'll see construction picking up as we are heading into the new year.

6. pachyderm pro

7. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member

What is this bird building?

8. pachyderm pro

I’m talking about the small mammal building, that’s were their going. The chevotains are in the bird building.

9. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member

Got it

10. MKE Zoo guy

Got back from the Samson Stomp today and it was cold. Although positive is that the race went behind the fenced off path that used to run around the Australian and wolf exhibit, so getting a view of the backside of Adventure Africa happened. Needless to say not much work has gone on with the exterior of the Australian building, the kola viewing deck is now gone though. The large shockcrete pillar that used to be the backdrop to the brown bear has been nearly patched up and the demo/viewing area is coming together. Sadly I didn’t get any pictures of the things I’m talking about but if anyone else was there today and got pictures please share them.

Wyman likes this.
  11. birdsandbats

The zoo recently released a new species list (mainly because they added chevrotains) and I noticed something. Apparently, the zoo is still keeping at least one Matscie's Tree Kangaroo behind the scenes.

Animal List:
    http://www.milwaukeezoo.org/pdf/AnimalList.pdf

12. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member

Interesting that they still have moose listed as off exhibit. I wonder where they are keeping them and what the plan is.

13. MKE Zoo guy

@birdsandbats I do know from past meetings with the county board they have hinted at possibly bringing back the Australian area although they gave no time frame for when that may happen.

@MidwestFan As for the moose, the moose has been sent to the New Zoo in Green Bay. I have a feeling that it may be coming back when the Alaskan coast area is finished after Adventure Africa is completed. Maybe in 5 years?

14. pachyderm pro

Only one moose was sent, the male. The other two females are being held off exhibit at the moment.

15. birdsandbats

The Moose died a few months after its arrival in Green Bay. :(

16. MKE Zoo guy

Anyone know where the off exhibit is? I mean I’ve been to the zoo during the winter and you can pretty much see everything that’s hidden in the summer or is it an off site exhibit?

17. pachyderm pro

They are behind the small mammal building.

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  18. MKE Zoo guy

Isn’t that where they have the special exhibits like the dinosaurs or the bugs?

19. pachyderm pro

Behind that ;)

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  20. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member