Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo news 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 2 Jan 2018.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. birdsandbats

3. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo announced the arrival of Amos the serval on their Facebook page today. Amos is nine years old. The post included that he can be seen pouncing on bubbler water? I'm not sure what is meant by this. Did they add a water feature to that exhibit?

savetherhino likes this.
  4. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was just there today and I didn't see any new water feature. I did see Amos the serval active although acting weird pacing back and forth in a very short span of space along the glass. As the little girl said next to me, "I think he wants to get out."

5. birdsandbats

6. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. MKE Zoo guy

Interesting day on my zoo trip today. It looks like the timeline of moving the elephants the fall is still on track. Although they are trying to figure out if they are going to move them by create or by truck, the decision is yet to be made. They aren’t walking them over though. As for other news, looks like the May start the hippo expansion once they move the hoof stock over to the new area late summer early fall. They are expanding the hippo exhibit into the Bongos current exhibit.

As for random things, while talking to a zoo keeper asked them what their plans for the polar bear exhibit is when the current one dies. They said that they weren’t sure what’s going to happen especially with the climate that we are in with public opinion. They weren’t sure if the AZA May be stepping away from wanting to bread polar bears or what exactly may happen. Interesting to see that the public opinion is having a greater impact than I originally imagined it would.

Also they talked about funds and how the original plan for the hippos new exhibit was to be done almost 10 years ago but the donor ran out of funds. They said that the problem with the milwaukee area is that there isn’t a lot of wealth and that the zoo keeps hitting up the same families. Politics within the zoo and the community are interesting to follow.

9. MKE Zoo guy

Oh I forgot to say that the zoo is still not sure what they are going to put in the old elephant area but they are looking at getting more rhinos. So possibly rhinos in that area?

Also the agouti join the sloth in the small mammals building. Official signs are not posted but I nice handwritten piece of paper is up.

It looks like work has start on renovating and creating an outside enterance for the colobus with what looks like the mandrills and siamangs too. Lots of little things happening.

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hard guessing: seems they are switching from southern to eastern black rhino!

Indeed, some neat little things happening here.

11. MKE Zoo guy

Not sure if they are switching species of rhinos, they just said more rhinos. That could mean anything.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sure enough, they now have one elder female southern black and a very young female eastern black, right?

13. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Southern Black Rhinos are managed by the International Rhino Foundation and Eastern Black Rhinos are managed by the AZA. Eastern Black Rhinos are way more common in zoos and easier to get.
    I read somewhere that the Elephant exhibit could be for White Rhinos in the future.
    Eastern and Southern are 2 subspecies of Black Rhino where as White Rhinos are a different species from the Black

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  14. MKE Zoo guy

Would we be getting a male black rhino for the current side of where the two females are and then white rhinos on the other side? Would the rhino area expand into the current river hog area?

15. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Male black rhino might come in the future. Josie is very young right now. No idea about the future of the soon to be empty Elephant exhibit other than white rhinos could be a possibility

16. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think another possibility could be that a male black rhino could be placed in the current elephant exhibit, and the females stay where they are. Or perhaps, "elderly" Mimi could move there and a new male would join Jozi on the other side? Lots of possibilities here. I would hate to see the Red River Hogs go, though. They are my personal favorites in the zoo.

17. MKE Zoo guy

I would hate to see them go as well but at the same time seeing some of the larger pachyderms get more space is always a plus. Maybe they’ll be moved to the other side. There seems like a lot of uncertainty with everything right now. I heard from a keeper that they aren’t sure how much longer they can use the current pachyderm building cause of all the new possible regulations from the AZA. So who knows maybe the river hogs will be able to get a new area for them that’s better.

Wild wolverine likes this.
  18. MKE Zoo guy

I was just looking up hippo renovations and it looks like the Dallas zoo included river hogs into their new hippo exhibit so maybe that’s where they are heading?

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. birdsandbats

20. birdsandbats

Snow Lily saw her shadow today :(. 6 more weeks of cold winter:

Milwaukee County Zoo polar bear sees shadow

Looks like the Polar Bear wasn't the only non-Groundhog animal to predict more winter today. Minnie the Striped Skunk saw his shadow at the Racine Zoo today. (Why winter?! :mad:)