Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo news 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 2 Jan 2018.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I want to say they’ve been there for a couple of months.

3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They hatched in January.

4. birdsandbats

Any idea why they are now in an African exhibit and not in the shoreline?

5. pachyderm pro

So this is a random thought. In the current construction site of the new elephant exhibit there are three trees. They seemed at first to be just upright logs, put now are filled with vegetation. Do you think they will still remain in the final exhibit? Part of me thinks not because of landscaping issues and elephants tendency to destroy trees, but at the same time if they were to be removed would it not have already been done by now?

6. MKE Zoo guy

In the old moose side of things they hacked up two willow trees but they are still growing. Maybe they’ll use the trees as enrichment items? Then on wolf side, they currently have some islands of trees. I’m assuming that the trees are going to stay for the hoof stock exhibit.

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. MKE Zoo guy

We finally got an update on the elephant exhibit from the Alive Magazine. The official opening will be in the spring 2019 like has been talked about for some time. The other thing is that the elephants may have more access to the outside durning the winter months as they will be heating some areas of the outdoor exhibit (not sure how I feel since Wisconsin winters can be pretty cold, but I'll wait to see). No information yet on what may be the new hoof stock being added. Although its confirmed that bongos, impalas, yellow-backed duiker, zebras and hoping to add African Crowned Cranes. Lastly, it does appear that due to budget cuts they did away from having a joint exhibit with some of the hoof stock. The tunnel where guests would have gone under and the hoof stock is no more. I am attaching a link to the image of what was presented last fall to Milwaukee County Parks Committee, Adventure Africa phase 1.

No dates yet on when the otter and west end entrance opening this spring? Although the scratched up sign is no longer on the chain fence.

Apparently, the Bronx Zoo had approached other AZA zoos to take on and incorporate the Malayan chevrotains, or mouse deer into aviaries too. Currently there is only 35 of the mouse deer in 10 AZA zoos. So maybe we will get a male in the future and start a program at Milwaukee zoo.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2018
  8. pachyderm pro

Ahhh, why is there a delay for magazine to arrive?! Why must I live a state over?!

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  9. pachyderm pro

MKE Zoo Guy. Is there a way you could please post the magazine page into the gallery or on your flickr page? I am way to excited to wait until tomorrow!

Oh and happy Easter btw :).

10. MKE Zoo guy

I’ll do my best.

Happy Easter as well!

11. MKE Zoo guy

12. pachyderm pro

Well now that the zoo has officially confirmed everything that we have known about for months now (Seriously this was the worst kept secret in zoological history), I figured it's time for a roundup of everything we now know about Adventure Africa Phase I. This is all pending and things could still be removed or added, but for now I think what were looking at is pretty concrete at this point.

Adventure Africa Phase I: Exhibits and Areas Roundup

Main Elephant Yard: The centerpiece of the exhibit complex and the main draw of the area. The main elephant yard will be about 2 acres in size and can hold up to 5 African elephants including a bull. The new exhibit will feature a larger pool, two enrichment walls, shade structures and an enrichment tree. There may even be real willow trees in the yard for the elephants to interact with. And if the elephants want to come outside in the Winter, the yard will have multiple heated areas for the animals to come out to.

Elephant Barn: a new 15,000 ft2 elephant barn will allow visitors to view the elephants even in the cold Wisconsin winters. The 4,600 ft2 day room with gave soft sandy floors and a larger space then both of the current elephant stalls combined. There will also be a half a dozen off exhibit stalls and bedrooms for the elephants, making for the best possible veterinary care and health evaluations. Storage areas and an off exhibit yard will also be included.

Elephant Demonstration Yard: With bleacher style seating that can hold 180 visitors, this 3,680 ft2 yard will allow daily elephant presentations to take place. Visitors will get an up close look at the way keepers care for and work with the worlds largest land mammal. A training wall will allow the animals to perform tasks that will engage visitors watching the demo.

African Savannah Exhibit: An over half acre savannah habitat will feature multiple species. Zebras, Impalas, African crowned cranes and possibly another species of hoofstock will share the large open exhibit space. Enrichment items such as puzzle feeders and browse planters will be included throughout the yard.

African Forest Exhibit: The smallest animal habitat in the area will be another exhibit dedicated to hoofstock. Bongos and a yellow-backed duiker will be featured in this new yard. The exhibit will be lush and shaded with many large trees and plants to replicate an African forest. Similar to the savannah exhibit several enrichment items such as the ones previously mentioned will be installed within the exhibit yard.

African Lodge: The African lodge - a repurposes of the former wolf lodge - will serve as an educational complex. There will also be windows that view into the elephant exhibit from inside the building. It is not known if live animal exhibits will be featured.

Picnic Area & Recreational Space: Across from the African forest exhibit visitors will be able to sit down and relax. Restrooms will be present and it will act as a pit stop for visitors to rest for a few minutes while watching the bongo and duiker.

Other Possible Species: These species are not confirmed but are all possibilities. African spurred tortoises were originally planned for the forest exhibit, but as the duiker was scared of them they may not return for the final product. African birds besides the crowned cranes are also being considered, but nothing known besides that. There will also likely be at least one more species added to the savannah exhibit.

Opening Date: Currently projected for the complex to open in Spring 2019. However, part of the elephant exhibit may be open in fall 2018.

Well that's just about everything, now let the waiting begin, or continue in this case.

birdsandbats likes this.
  13. MKE Zoo guy

I’m still a bit confused, how is 2 acres close to the 5 that is suppose to be required by the AZA to hold elephants?

This has been one of my biggest concerns as I’ve seen this project develop. From what I saw in the master plan to now, the elephant exhibit doesn’t seem to meet the standards set by the AZA itself. I see Milwaukee back on the worst list for elephants and may potentially loose them. With the harder push from the public to treat the elephants humanely which will result them being moved out of the Midwest.

Don’t get me wrong I think the hoof stock and other animals moving in near by is great but the focus really needed to be getting the elephants a suitable place to live. Granted 2 acres is bigger then what they currently have, and I’ll even give them an extra acre for the building and other side space that’s in the elephant exhibit. However, that’s still short! That elephants we have now are use to 1/2 an acre so this is going to be great but what about the future? Future elephants from other zoos are dedicating more space to them. Not only that but Milwaukee will only be a holding zoo, which means the elephants that we get will be only here temporarily or will be here to die. Multigenerational living wont be able to occur and it’s falling into the same trappings that brought forth the last update to elephant in captivity rules and regulations.

Unless I’m missing something, I’m leaning on the side of extreme disappointment of this new phase to Adventure Africa.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2018
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. pachyderm pro

Five acres is not at all required by AZA. There are about three major US zoos (Oregon, NC and DAK) that have an exhibit bigger then that. Two acres is not the largest exhibit, but it's certainly suitable for the five elephants the zoo plans to hold. Space also isn't the only factor in an elephant exhibit. For one, is it packed with functional enrichment? Which it is.

This new exhibit more then meets AZA standards. It's 2 acres, can hold more than 3 elephants, protected contact, I don't see what the problem is here. And trust me, the zoo will not be losing their elephants any time soon. Just because the IDA puts the zoo on their list (Which they probably will either this year or the next because of the new exhibit and how "The zoo didn't do the right thing" rinse and repeat) means virtually nothing. St Louis, Omaha and Oregon all made the list last year and they are among the best for elephants. Milwaukee will not lose their elephants, I think that's a bit of an absurd statement to think they will.

I'm glad they are adding new exhibits for antelope and zebras, but what I'm disappointed about is that they had to scrap the bridge from the original plan. It would have been great to see a mixed species elephant exhibit a la Dallas.

I am not disappointed with Adventure Africa phase I, yet. I want to wait and see how it looks up and running. I want to see how the animals interact with their new surroundings. I want to see how Ruth and Brittney form new relationships with new elephants. I want to see the barn, demo yard, the lodge and everything. There are still so many questions about this new exhibit complex that we really won't know everything until Spring 2019. Unless Milwaukee fires their entire marketing team and starts from the ground up, we really won't know all the details until the time comes. So is the exhibit going to come out smaller than originally planned, yes. But look were the elephants are now. A barren 1/4 of an acre artificial landscape, with a concrete barn the size of two cargo trucks.

Lets just hope this new exhibit is something special.

15. MKE Zoo guy

I'm sorry I misspoke about thinking about 5 acres as a minimum for the elephant exhibit. I wasn't saying that having larger exhibits was a bad thing or that having an exhibit pack with lots of enrichment is a good thing either. Finding the right balance between both size and enrichment needs to be struck for each zoo. I was feeling that having just 2ish acres still seems small.

I get that 2 acres can hold the elephants and a few more if need be, however when do we start thinking that this is okay or good, and when do we start thinking how can we do our best. For elephants that roam miles in a day to just having 2 acres is that really the best for the animal or for us? How could we make it so that they have different opportunities to roam. I like the Oregon zoo where they have different areas on which elephants could go to through out the day, and they choose it. I get that Milwaukee is putting in enrichment and more space both in the barn and yard, but is that enough, is that the best they (we) could do for the animal? I realize that this is more of an existential question but I think needs to happen and addressed more in depth.

Milwaukee is the only zoo in the surrounding area, many of the zoos had to remove them for various reasons. Detroit zoo for many reasons but one that I remember hearing the director mention was that they felt that it was inhumane to keep their elephants in the environment. Things that they were mentioning was size of the exhibit, weather (winter), being locked inside the barn for months. Not that any of these things are new to the debate but are many of the things that Milwaukee faces.

As for loosing the elephants, you are correct at least in the near future I don't believe that Milwaukee is going to be loosing their elephants. I personally enjoy seeing the elephants at the zoo. However, on the show The Zoo on Animal Planet, the head of the Bronx Zoo and the Chair of the Board of the AZA spent a lot of time discussing about their elephants and whats being done for the betterment of the elephants. Then the LA zoo had the petition to have their male elephant removed from their zoo. Then there was the Henry Doorly Zoo, also had protest surrounding their elephants arriving. Granted they were importing theirs from Swaziland so it a bit different. All that to say, just because it doesn't appear that Milwaukee may loose their elephants soon, doesn't mean they won't. Public opinion is changing and making sure that they do everything in their power to get their message

I agree, I was really hoping for that bridge because it would have added so much to the exhibit but also to make Milwaukee stand out again for having something unique.

I would agree/disagree with you about the elephant exhibit. Much of it we already know about, with the plans that were shown last year, we know the square footage and most of the public areas. I think how this fits in with the rest of the zoo and how everything ties together I am interested to see. It'll be so new compared to the surrounding area.

I am excited to see the new exhibits and the new animals that the exhibits will bring. The new savannah and forest exhibit with mix species I am excited to see. I am hoping that the energy from phase 1 continues into phase 2 and future exhibits with the proper funding. I am disappointed in some of the modifications that are being made because they are going away from what seemed to be a really exciting zoo that was more natural in many aspects to one thats kinda a hybrid of sorts between what we have and a more naturalistic feel.

snowleopard and StoppableSan like this.
  16. MKE Zoo guy

If anyone is interested I came across the construction company’s time lapse of the elephant exhibit on YouTube. The first link is from end of summer into fall, and the second one is during winter before the walls went up.

17. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to the Buttonwood Park Zoo News thread: 2 otter pup Sisters, Shamrock and Clover, have moved to the Milwaukee County Zoo

18. MKE Zoo guy

19. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. birdsandbats