Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo news 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 2 Jan 2018.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited the zoo today and much to my surprise, the family group of gorillas was out on exhibit. I spoke with a volunteer who told me that while Shalia and older offspring Sulaiman seem sad or confused, Naku is more focused on baby Zahara. I was told that Shalia seemed to be looking for Cassius and Sulaiman was much closer and clinging to Shalia. It is strange seeing the group without Cassius... definitely going to be an unfortunate adjustment.
    Also, all of the paper blocking the serval exhibit has been removed, and today was the first time that I saw the Eyelash Vipers, interesting species.

3. birdsandbats

4. Oddernod

Oddernod Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hard enough to hear that Ramar passed away over at Brookfield this week, but now Cassius? I've been lucky to see quite a few gorillas across my travels, but I don't know if I've ever met a more calm and caring one than Cassius. Sad week. Milw_Zoo_March (22 of 408).jpg

JVM and Wild wolverine like this.
  5. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well after about eight months, I got around to visiting my home zoo again. Despite the non-spring weather, I had an enjoyable visit. I was happy to see new additions galore, construction progress, and even a better, cleaner, more professional looking display around some of the grounds.
    • Aviary: the American avocets and chevrotains are doing well. Surprisingly, one of the chevrotains was out in the open grooming herself, while the other female was pacing along a barrier. I believe these are my first chevrotains by the way, they sure are an interesting little deer :). Blizzard, the gentoo penguin that hatched in December, already looks like an adult - a volunteer even stated that it is even bigger than some of the others!
    • Primates: the mandrills and siamangs are still in their original exhibits. The new outdoor exhibit has a large log inside, but the one side closest to the public path still needs fencing put up. After seeing the renovated indoor colobus exhibits, while the additional branches add to more climbing, I was disappointed by the lack of further naturalism. It could’ve been so easy to replace the hard concrete floors with wood chips, add fake plants and natural-looking enrichment, or at the very least a naturalistic paint job. Anywho, the colobus chute can be seen through the mandrill exhibit; its mostly done except for a connection to the wall. Lastly, the gorillas seem to be adjusting to Cassius’ passing fine. Both mother-child pairs were by the windows sleeping. As Naku’s back was to me, I sadly couldn’t get a good look at daughter Zahra aside from the very top of her head.
    • Cats: snow leopard Tomiris is no longer on the board in the kitchen. New male serval Amos was mostly pacing near the front (with his back legs hardly ever moving) - I was told this was anticipatory behavior for food. On a side note, this was my first serval in a few years, and I was intrigued by how lean and tall they actually are. There also has been new signage added for the serval, along with some compare/contrasts between domestic and small wild cats.
    • Aquatic and Reptile Center: I got my first look at the new arrivals - eyelash vipers and a pair of Gila monsters. One of the lizards was especially entertaining to watch, as it explored the ground, valiantly scaled a rock wall, and finally rested on top afterwards. The new pig-nosed turtle was pretty neat to see in swimming along in the cichlid tank. The basilisk/roti island snake-necked turtle terrarium is darkened; I was told it was to be renovated. The octopus and jellyfish tanks were empty, and there also didn’t seem to be anymore leopard sharks. Finally, the ornate flying snake tank had paper over it - new arrival perhaps?
    • Small Mammals: the new agouti, Santiago, is settling in well. He was on top some of the rock work on the look out. The former meerkat exhibit has been redone for a pair of Goeldi’s monkeys, with two cotton tops now in the original Goeldi’s exhibit. The tiny exhibit next to the dwarf mongoose has paper over it. On the nocturnal side, almost the entire inner wall side is home to two armadillos - no more kinkajou (I think it’s safe to say he died about a year ago) and sugar glider.
    • Construction: work is still being done on the otter exhibit. The elephant barn is coming along nicely, with workers building what looked to be a second floor section, part of the remaining brown bear wall, and a couple smaller exhibit walls.
    HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Today marked the first time I got a good look at Orya, the female snow leopard that arrived from Zurich Zoo a year ago. She is doing great, and was very active, allowing for some excellent photo opportunities.

Having now visited most the Zoo (only missing the Family Farm), I’ll be able to do Part 2 of that Dreams thread. Stay tuned...

6. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm so sorry to hear about the kinkajou. That was one of my favorite unique species at Milwaukee, and I only think I had the pleasure once or twice. Sad to think it won't likely be replaced.

7. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The kinkajou was one of favorites as well. I remember seeing him chasing and throwing around his toy in his enclosure. I figured he passed, but it’s still unfortunate to hear.

8. Wild wolverine

From the zoo's facebook page:
    "We regret to announce that snow leopard Tomiris was euthanized recently due to quality of life issues. She was beloved of Zookeepers and would greet them each morning with a “grump” and rub on the fence. She was 17"
    April has not been a great month for the zoo. At least we still have young Asa and Orya.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. pachyderm pro

10. birdsandbats

11. birdsandbats

12. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

(On April 25)
    From the Oceans of Fun Facebook page:
    Join our animal care team on Facebook Live with FOX6 News Milwaukee and Moana! This rescued California sea lion has captured so many hearts and continues to be an ambassador for the conservation efforts of Oceans of Fun. Dedicated to saving species around the globe, our facility has enacted multiple programs including offering Seal and Sea Lion Feedings to fundraise contributions for our worldwide strides in conservation. Moana has grown so much and will soon be participating in these Seal and Sea Lion Feedings! We encourage you to drop in on our Facebook Live with Fox6 as we share with you more information on Moana's progress, our new program, and our Saving Species initiative at 12:30PM CST!

13. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It appears that the chopped down the trees in the jaguar exhibit recently, no news yet if they will replace them or add something else to the exhibit.

In other news the west entrance is coming along with some of the trap removed and finishing touches being done. Hopefully soon we’ll get a finished date.

14. pachyderm pro

Knowing the zoo they'll probably announce the date like two days in advance and have it be on a Tuesday or something. Still it's exciting to see this project finally completed after so many construction droughts and delays. When the exhibit opens I will make sure that both it and the West entrance will be extensively covered through photos in the gallery.

Also is that snow I see? For the first time in months I'm wearing short sleeved shirts and shorts in Illinois, but there is still snow in Wisconsin? In late April? :eek:

15. birdsandbats

There was just a late blizzard in northern Wisconsin. I believe Milwaukee got a little dusting as well.

16. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes it’s the fluffy white stuff in April. It was taken on Friday and the jugaur trees were gone by Monday.

On a side note they haven’t asked the public to sponsor the otters which is kinda weird cause every new animal exhibit the have it seems.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2018
    JVM likes this.
  17. Wild wolverine

I think the zoo usually has its sponsors advertised after the animals go on exhibit. I remember the red river hogs were sponsored in February, over 6 months after they went on exhibit. We'll probably see something for the otters in late summer-fall :)

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  18. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. pachyderm pro

Finally, we have a date. May 19th is sooner than expected and having it on a Saturday is exactly what the zoo should be doing. Interestingly, I was surprised by read that the West Entrance will only be open May to October annually. I always assumed it would - like the main entrance - be open year round. Anyways, the new otter passage (first time they ever called it by that name) will hopefully be an excellent new addition to the rapidly improving zoo, I wonder if there will be a members only preview any time soon.

savetherhino and Wild wolverine like this.
  20. Wild wolverine

I think it makes sense that the west entrance is only open May-October, as it is the zoo's busy season. It wouldn't need the space for parking or the extra expenses of keeping a second admissions area lit, heated etc in winter if they have the main entrance already. I imagine the otters will be on exhibit year-round, however.

MKE Zoo guy likes this.