Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo news 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 2 Jan 2018.

1. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Meet Shamrock, Clover and Emerald – Milwaukee zoo's new river otters an article from the Journal Sentinel.

https://jsonl.in/2rH8v78

2. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Milwaukee Man likes this.
  3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Otter Passage looks like an excellent new habitat from the photos provided. This weekend I will be at the zoo to give in depth photo coverage of the exhibit and the west entrance. Also will report construction updates of Adventure Africa, Primates of the World and the jaguars.

4. Wild wolverine

Heads up, this weekend is Party for the Planet. I attended party for the planet a few years back and it draws a pretty large crowd.

5. Wild wolverine

6. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited by a moderator: 18 May 2018
  7. Wild wolverine

Otter Passage & West Entrance:
    Finally, after 3 years of delays and construction, the zoo's new otter exhibit and west entrance opened today, and I was able to stop by and see it (no pictures though, sorry everyone :oops:)
    The entrance and gift shop is quite nice. A little on the smaller side, but the west entrance feels more like a zoo entrance to me than the main gates and the big ugly US BANK gathering place sign. All the plants and paths are new, and look very nice. There are 2 types of path, separated by little gardens. The one path is regular concrete, and that is for the gift shop, food, restrooms etc area. The other path resembles dirt/mud and it is the path for the otter viewing.
    The exhibit itself is really very nice. A shallow pool, a large deep pool and waterslide, lots of grass and natural-looking rocks around the pools. The exhibit is a nice size and has lots of vantage points to view the otters in unique ways and views (inside a log, a few smaller windows aimed for children) You can get right up close to the otters. All and all, a very nice exhibit that the otters will be able to run, swim, and play in for many many years. It is a first glance at the zoo's future and I am looking forward to what all the future exhibits will look like.
    Besides that, the gorillas remain off exhibit, and the outdoor colobus monkey exhibit seems to be nearly completed (from what you can see). Hopefully the fence will be built and the monkeys can be out by Memorial day weekend.

8. pachyderm pro

I only spent a little over two hours at the zoo today, but I still have plenty to report on. I divided this up into sub categories so everything doesn't get jumbled. Thoughts and opinions of Otter Passage and the West Entrance at the bottom of the post. Now then...

Primate Updates:
    -Not too much progress here. However, the new outdoor primate exhibit is now fully enclosed with the final screen being put in place. There are only two large tree limbs in the exhibit, so I'm going to assume to the new exhibit is for the mandrills.
    -Other than that the colobus, mandrills and siamangs still remain in their usual exhibit spaces, which makes me wonder what more will be done here.
    -Gorillas were of course off exhibit for reasons that have already been reported on.

South America Updates:
    -There is currently only one medium sized wooden climbing frame in the middle of the jaguar exhibit.
    -The fence that blocked off the back half of the hoofstock yard has been removed. Now that half of the exhibit is filled with lush green grass that the animals have access to.

Adventure Africa:
    -Progress is really being made. Since my last visit two months ago, things have changed dramatically.
    -There are at least three feeder walls that have been built in the upcoming elephant yard.
    -The elephant pool has began construction and is nearly complete, just needs to be filled of course and a few other tweaks.
    -It seems like part of the elephant yard will be viewed from an elevated point instead of just through cable fencing. I say this because concrete has been placed as a barrier on the bank of the furthest left area of the site.
    -The floors inside the elephant barn have been poured, and much of the fencing for the dayroom and off exhibit stalls have already been installed.
    -The former brown bear exhibit backdrop had plantings added to the top and a paint touch up. It will be used as a barrier for the elephant demonstration yard.
    -Despite my worrying, the former dall sheep exhibit will in fact be turned into a new habitat for an African species. What that may be is still up in the air right now.
    -Regarding the African lodge, I will be turned into a conservation education center which will not feature any major live animal attractions.
    -Overall I'm impressed with how fast everything's coming along, especially from a zoo that takes forever to fund raise for things and has had a troubled financial history. If things keep up how they are, the elephants should be on track to move by the fall season.

Additional Updates:
    -Lots of rebranding around the zoo. New signs, posters, minor touch ups and other changes. Everything is starting to look fresh and new all over the zoo.
    -A tram tour has just been added. I didn't ride it myself, but the main station is North of the Apes of Africa entrance if your interested.
    -The zoo is now offering free daily tours through the rhino and elephant barns for the summer. Visitors are allowed to see the food preparation area, pachyderm scales, different views into the outdoor yards, and are allowed inside the indoor stalls.
    -The Bear Garden Café is complete. About 50 new picnic style tables have been added that overlook the caribou/sandhill crane yard. The deck is also complete and overlooks the pond. Things should be up and running in a few days.
    -A giraffe calf was born three days ago.

Otter Passage and West Entrance Review:
    Honestly, until a few days ago I really didn't expect much from this exhibit. I was going into this thinking it would be a basic, simple, functional exhibit for otters. Maybe a small grass field and a pool with underwater viewing. However, I my expectations were greatly surpassed by the zoos first new exhibit in over 2 decades. Otter Passage is excellent, really really excellent. There are two underwater viewing areas that look into a smaller more narrow pool, and a larger pool with an impressive 15 foot otter slide. These underwater views are top notch, but that doesn't discount the land area which is just as good. Grass, rock and a small patch with mulch are all assemble to the otters and its a perfect size, where its not too small, but also not excessively large. If I am to be a little nit picky, I would say that the theming of the holding area is a bit much. It's supposed to be like a Wisconsin lodge, so there are snowshoes and skis hanging off the exterior, as well as a mounted deer skull. But it really can be overlooked as there is still so much good in the otter passage habitat. Sadly the otters weren't too eager to put on a show today. Only one showed itself by poking out her head for about 20 seconds before heading back inside with the others. Ah well.

The West Entrance and Plaza itself is also highly enjoyable, and a great deal more appealing than the main one. There is a typical zoo gift shop, bathrooms and a charming little concessions area called West End Snacks. Not many options but food is solid as is the venue. Nothing to complain about here. These new additions are a great first step after going so long without a major new development. Everything is clean, fresh, well landscaped and just fantastic aesthetically. If the zoos future exhibits look like Otter Passage, then its a pretty darn good future. Hopefully this is the beginning of a bright future for Wisconsin's premiere zoo.

Phew! Man that was a lot. I just got done uploading dozens of new photos of everything I mentioned from Otter Passage, Adventure Africa and more! Check them out if your interested.

9. MKE Zoo guy

I really like the west entrance it feels more like a zoo entrance then the east entrance, I agree with @Wild wolverine. The otters are still getting accustomed to everything but got to see them swimming for a bit today. The only thing I would say I’m not a huge fan of is the water clarity, it’s extremly foggy, I’m hoping that this is just because of the new exhibit and will clear up soon. Otherwise if you have a chance anytime soon go see the new entrance and otters!

Wild wolverine and StoppableSan like this.
  10. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

12. birdsandbats

13. MKE Zoo guy

They’ve finally announced more information on Adventure Africa as well as the master plan for the zoo. The zoological society is rasing over $25 million for this first phase with several events through tour the year. They also set up a new website where you can read more information Adventure Africa as well as overall vision for the zoo.

If you want to check it out go to Win2Wild.

14. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

...I like how the barn exterior looks? Seriously, THIS is what they're building? Compared to the relatively refreshing Otter Passage? (Refreshing in terms of naturalism). It looks really good for the elephants in terms of husbandry (especially compared to their current yard) but the design of the yards is just... lazy! Then again, the renderings in the 2013 Master Plan did say that the exhibits would be functional...

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  15. pachyderm pro

Yes.

They did it, they actually made a website detailing future projects with Adventure Africa as the focus. Excellent! I see the renderings and I do like what I see. While it may not be an ultra immersion rolling plains style of exhibitry, I never expected it to be. Sometimes simple is good and all of the exhibits shown look simple, they also look really good. I actually prefer the fact that they removed the original cable fences in favor of a slight slope as a barrier. I even think the elephant barn looks great with TV monitors, interpretive graphics, and with an open air second level? Now that's cool! The feeder walls will also be an interesting addition to the exhibit. The "Impala Plains" also looks very simple, but again nothing to complain about. Same with the African Forest yard, it may just be a reuse of the old Australian yard, but why change it if it would already serve as an excellent exhibit for bongos and duikers? If it aint broke, don't fix it. The only real concern I have is that the elephant yard will be exclusively sand and dirt. In the original concept art the yard was filled with grass, but in these renderings the yard looks reminiscent of Elephant Odyssey and zi don't want to see that.

Other than that the only real question I have about this project is what new exhibits will take up the old dall sheep exhibit? and what will be on the second level of the elephant barn? And what other hoofstock could be placed in Impala Plains? Ok, maybe I have a lot of questions, but its only because I'm eager to see what happens with this project. Again it may not the immersive African plains exhibits you would hope for, but that's not what the zoo is going for. They are going for a modern, highly stylized, functional set of exhibits, and in that I believe that will succeed.

16. pachyderm pro

17. birdsandbats

The website confirms Zebras will be found here.
    These exhibits look great. As PP mentioned, they are very functional, even if not completely naturalistic. It is a little weird there is a permanent starling suspended over the Feeding Wall, though. Are those terrariums I spy in the Outpost? Also, if you look out the Barn Exterior window, you see a wooden structure. Is that a butterfly house or an African garden? I would welcome either of those to the zoo.

18. pachyderm pro

I already know about the zebras, I was referring to the fact that a few months ago the said that a fifth hoofstock species may be added to join the ones already moving.

Those wooden structures are likely a snack or concessions stands. Considering the old bear den picnic area is being removed, this is likely a replacement for that.

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. MKE Zoo guy

I would agree with your assessment of the structures, I believe that they are going to be food or maybe a pop up retail area, or maybe in the future it will be a place you could get tickets to help feed the elephants. From reading the master plan it seems like part of the goal is to make it so that a guest doesn't have to go very far for food nor a place to rest, and I think thats what the elephant plaza is getting at.

birdsandbats and StoppableSan like this.
  20. pachyderm pro