Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 4 Jan 2019.

1. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m assuming that this is positive for the zoo, for it may mean we are possibly getting a new family troop.

I’m wondering if over the next month or so we’ll see lots of transfers and new additions happening since the weather will be better for transporting animals. I know they were saying that they are hoping to get the new elephant to Milwaukee before October. So here’s to waiting to see what’s to come.

savetherhino likes this.
  2. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wonder what the future of gorillas in Milwaukee will be

3. MKE Zoo guy

Well scratch that positive for the zoo, it looks like we are becoming a bachelor troop... kinda disappointing to here. When’s the zoo going to have the facilities to become more of a breeding zoo instead of a “bachelor group” or a geriatric facility.

savetherhino and StoppableSan like this.
  4. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Maybe they'll save the gorillas until after Adventure Africa's rhino phase is complete.

5. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wouldn't necessarily write this off as an immediate negative thing for the zoo. It's unfortunate that the zoo won't have a family troop for a while, but if you think about it, we haven't really had a family group since Zahra left after her parents passed. "The Zoo will work with the SSP for future recommendations of additional gorillas at MCZ in the coming months." so it may take some time, but there's still chances that we'll build a new family troop at some point.

savetherhino and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. Wild wolverine

7. savetherhino

I would expect that

Wild wolverine and StoppableSan like this.
  8. MKE Zoo guy

The reason why I am disappointed at the moment in time with the Milwaukee loosing the female silverbacks, is that it sounded like the SSP is saying MKE is going to become a bachelor troop institution, especially because our males are not recommended to breed. I realize that the zoo is working with the SSP on creating a new troop and there is more at play than I may realize, but overall it seems that Milwaukee is not on the forefront on breeding many (larger) species as it once was. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it is disappointing when putting into perspective of Milwaukee's rich history and contribution to the genetic pool.

Taking a look at the 1st phase of AA, I believe all the animals that are in this first phase are the same gender species. I believe that will change with the 2nd and 3rd phase with the hippos and rhinos, so thats a positive.

Overall, I have said it before I feel like the zoo is missing something, its missing life and energy. It feels run down and less and less is being displayed. Coming back from the Omaha zoo to Milwaukee it made me realize how much we are missing out on conservation, education, overall experience of the animals and their exhibits.

Just today I was at the zoo and I was hearing a zoo ambassador telling everyone the average life expectancy of an elephant is 45 years, yet when I did some quick research its 60 to 70 years. Why do we keep giving out wrong information?

I really do have a big heart for the Milwaukee Zoo and the conservation that they do, do but its disappointing that we have so much potential at the zoo and then we get the opportunity to be innovative, inspiring, and game changers, we settle back into something that's basic and forgettable.

9. savetherhino

Would they do hippo breeding?

10. Wild wolverine

In other news, the zoo has a new 3-month old porcupine named Stitch. He'll live in the Family Farm animal encounter, like the former porcupine (who lived to be quite elderly btw!)

11. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Interesting - I was thinking Milwaukee had just about started turning around in terms of breeding programs. To me, it seemed to start when the tiger cubs were born in 2009 (has it been that long already?! :eek:), and soon other cats followed; since then we’ve also had harbor seal pups, camels, tree kangaroo joeys, a breeding giraffe herd, two red panda cubs, among others. Additionally, some species, both new and returning, have been brought in since that time like red river hog, yellow-backed duiker, crowned crane, potto, chevrotain, gila monster, and ostrich. This said, I do agree that, and I’ve heard some others mention it, Milwaukee’s collection is quite geriatric and could use further life injected into it. It seems to be turning around in my view, and with all these recent additions and births, this may also explain my thoughts above.

As for AA species: I’ve heard there are plans to get male bongo and duiker; and a bull rhino will be coming to breed with Jozi. Lastly, I agree that the Zoo does seem to be missing out on its fullest potential. Education doesn’t seem to be an issue, and conservation is slowly becoming more present, but where I feel that the new life and energy can be better implemented is the presentation - arguably the key component. This is most evident in the advertising, some of the recent renovations (like gorillas and red pandas), and even parts of Adventure Africa. The potential is there; it has come out in bits; it just needs to be fully released and with resources well-utilized.

By the way - so jealous you got to Omaha!

If there’s any hippo breeding that takes place, it would be with new animals because male Happy and female Patti don’t like each other. Either Happy breeding with new females or a new breeding pod would work.

12. savetherhino

I was not aware they wanted to do duiker breeding

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Don’t look into this too much. There are lots of variables when it comes to elephant life expectancy. Also are you looking at average or max age? Average might be around 45 but every so often an elephant may get up to 70 but that’s rare. It’s like saying the life expectancy of humans is 115 because sometimes a few people get that old.

14. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After Adventure Africa I believe they're doing Alaskas Cold Coast

MKE Zoo guy and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. savetherhino

After AA is the front entrance remodel

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would not read anything in it really.

Old female Femelle passed away in 2016, then close on one-another the silverback Cassius and breeding female Naku both die abruptly leaving the family troupe leaderless and growing up Zahra without her mum. Come in CZ with laid back family group ready and able to adopt her. This happens and quickly Zahra is adopted into this family group. Now the same issue exists for remaining breeder Shaila and growing up youngster Sulaiman in that a new silverback immigrant will kill her infant. Thus she and her offspring will go the same route to Columbus. This leaves MKZ for now with the 2 bachelor boys only. And this really for now only!

Wild wolverine and StoppableSan like this.
  17. Wild wolverine

Highlights from my visit today:
    -The Small Mammal building nocturnal side has a new prehensile-tailed porcupine in the larger exhibit next to the fruit bat "retirement home." I don't remember a time in at least a decade that the zoo had a prehensile-tailed porcupine, so this is very exciting.
    -ALL of the animals in impala plains are outside at the same time and get along.
    -The whooping crane chick was not with its foster parents. Wondering if it went back to ICF in Baraboo already?

18. MKE Zoo guy

19. savetherhino

Belle has no tusks because they were removed because of an infection a long time ago

Last edited: 29 Aug 2019
    Wild wolverine likes this.
  20. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member