Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 4 Jan 2019.

1. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Awe man I was just typing this post and you beat me to it by a millisecond.

birdsandbats and savetherhino like this.
  2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. MKE Zoo guy

I am assuming so since we loss our male earlier this year. Maybe that will mean in the coming years they will start breeding him with new females that they will bring in. However I feel they are going to be focusing on breeding the lions next and then maybe jaguar before they start to breed tigers again.

5. savetherhino

I would agree.
    I don't know if Themba has been introduced to the 2 lionesses yet.

6. MKE Zoo guy

As of today he has not. He was outside by himself. I know the zoo is working hard behind the scenes to introduce him to the females. Maybe by spring or early summer they will be introduced fully and on public display.

savetherhino and Wild wolverine like this.
  7. MKE Zoo guy

It looks like we will have to wait at least another month to find out if the hippo exhibit has a go for construction. I’m hoping that they can get this project started sooner then later but am assuming that they may go for next May opening of the exhibit much like the elephants.

On a side note hopefully soon we’ll start hearing or seeing the animals get shuffled around as the May opening of phase 1 draws near. I’m still wondering what all are they putting in the new impala yard (besides impalas) they have kinda been quiet on the half that’s not been the elephants. Are they getting a new hoofstock like they were teasing? Are we getting more duiker’s? They mentioned that they wanted to start a bongo breeding program, so will that mean we are getting a male? There’s lots of questions that may be answered now that winter is starting to loosen its grip on the Midwest.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. savetherhino

Crane and Zebra should be going with the Impala

9. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I hope the Thompson's Gazelles stay.

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  10. MKE Zoo guy

That’s what I am thinking as well but as for the signs that are posted in the area thus far doesn’t include anything but impalas. So here’s to seeing more signs posted as we get closer to May!

birdsandbats likes this.
  11. MKE Zoo guy

Correction I did just see the zebra sign in the impala yard, although they still are in their old exhibit.

Wild wolverine and savetherhino like this.
  12. savetherhino

I feel that they stay in the yard by the cheetahs

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has anyone heard any rumors or have any guesses on where the zoo's new additional elephants will come from? The exhibit opens in about a month and a half so we should start to see things arrive pretty soon. Any guesses on what's out there and coming our way?

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  14. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wouldn't be surprised if a male bongo and duiker get brought in to breed; I do hope more zebras, either more Damaras like the current two or eventual transition to Grant's, come in as well. As for elephants, I believe Knoxville is still looking at shipping out its bull Tonka - he could come up to Milwaukee. The only females off the top of my head that could arrive are the two at Riverbanks as that zoo is looking into moving them out (by the way, does anyone have an update on that?). I know there's a couple other places with one or two cows like Caldwell and Cameron Park, but there hasn't been any reports on them ending their elephant programs anytime soon.

15. savetherhino

I did hear about the Riverbanks elephants moving but not where they might go.

Wild wolverine and MKE Zoo guy like this.
  16. MKE Zoo guy

Took a quick trip today to the zoo. Overall lots of spring cleaning happening all across the zoo. Some quick things, not sure what they are doing over in the red panda courtyard but they have part of the center area torn up. There's some finishing touches going on with phase 1, its opening is so soon! Working on framing the informational signs, working on the exterior of the old wolf cabin, and overall clean up. The main gift store has reopened after its remodel and the Flamingo Gifts Store is now closed. Not sure what they are doing with that area but a fake wall now closes off both entrances. Not sure if any of the hoofstock have moved over but the zebras are still in waterhole exhibit.

StoppableSan and birdsandbats like this.
  17. savetherhino

Ive seen things about them wanting to keep Tonka to breed if possible

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. MKE Zoo guy

Some awesome news. The official ribbon cutting and opening of phase I Adventure Africa will be on May 4th at 10am. Not only that, the zoo has decided to make this the "Year of the Elephants," with several events through out the year focusing on the elephants.

As for phase II of Adventure Africa: Hippo addition, it looks like they will start the construction after phase I opens to the public. Once open they are looking to have the outdoor exhibit open from April thru October but it will be based on weather. If I were to guess, I would assume that we can look forward to this opening sometime around May 2020.

In other news, the zoo has received 3 female waterbucks from San Diego Wildlife Park, look for them this summer. They are also working with Sunny the lion and Themba to see if they will become a match, currently love is not in the air for this potential pair.

19. MKE Zoo guy

Won’t be long now till Rayma leaves us. Saw a Phoenix zoo professional hanging out in the primates building today.

StoppableSan and Wild wolverine like this.
  20. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was going to say that Lincoln park hasn't held a jaguar since the one they had passed away both Brookfield and Lincoln park have been really focusing on amur leopards and sounded like Lincoln park phased out tigers

Kifaru Bwana likes this.