Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 9 Jan 2020.

1. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wild wolverine and savetherhino like this.
  2. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The 2 female lions have been moved to another AZA zoo according to the zoo's Facebook page. They will look for new lions to come in the coming months.

4. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As someone who went on the Hooray for Hooves tour and met the alpacas and red river hog, I have to say I think it is a great idea for the zoo. It's a wonderful way to raise extra money while also raising awareness of what zookeepers zoo and what zoos as organizations are trying to do (conservation, education, etc). And all at prices that are affordable, I think it's a great move for the zoo to keep these tours going.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  5. MKE Zoo guy

Had an interesting conversation with a zoo ambassador today. Still not fully sure what lions that they are going to be bringing in, however it looks like they are actively searching for a female jaguar to breed with Frankie. Also I’ve found out that they hyenas have been allowed to breed and had several successful pregnancies, however not successful births. Kinda sad, I want to see some hyena pups at the zoo.

6. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Me too. You don't see Spotted Hyenas being born often.

7. MKE Zoo guy

Oh I forgot, anyone know what’s happening with the red river hogs? They have a traveling container inside the indoor exhibit and it appears to be only one. So are they removing them or getting new ones?

StoppableSan and savetherhino like this.
  8. Wild wolverine

The situation with the red river hogs is sort of up in the air. The two brothers no longer get along together, so they will be sending Radish to another zoo and keeping Mango here. As of right now, Mango is downstairs in the winter quarters, and they don't actually know if he'll be on exhibit again. With the new hippo exhibit being built and rhino exhibit construction to begin at some point, with the river hog exhibit literally in the middle of all of that, the zoo is considering just keeping Mango down in winter quarters for a while.

9. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Doesn’t anyone know which institution the lions were transferred to?

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unless plans changed last minute, they should have headed to Louisville Zoo.

11. MKE Zoo guy

Didn’t know they were heading there. The zoo has been keeping it hush hush until the receiving zoo announces it.

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I thought I had also heard Sedgwick County Zoo?

savetherhino and StoppableSan like this.
  13. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've heard Milwaukee might get lions from there

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  14. Wild wolverine

15. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The annual IDA worst zoos for elephants list has arrived and while Milwaukee isn't included, an unexpected development that involves the zoo was "uncovered" (and I cannot stress the quotation marks enough) apparently. It appears another elephant, Seedi from the Pittsburgh Zoo, will be arriving later this year.

10 Worst Zoos for Elephants 2019

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not sure whether I should like a post that has a link to that list on it. This year even seems stupider than most, if for no other reason than SDZSP making the list.

17. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I suppose this should be a good time to mention to take this with a grain of salt. Doc, an elephant at the Rosamond Gifford zoo was also going to be sent away according to this list, but the zoo responded and apparently he's staying put making that claim a lie. Until we here official confirmation from either zoo involved its a bit up in the air, but since they supposedly know exactly what zoo (Milwaukee) she's going to it makes it a bit more likely.

18. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Lol I love this list. The misinformation is like a comedy act. The "big info" is also incorrect. Need an IDA 2019 thread started

savetherhino and StoppableSan like this.
  19. MKE Zoo guy

Took a trip to the zoo today. Not much to report other than it looks like the glass may be installed for the new hippo enclosure. Although it's hard to tell since the whole area is under scaffling and plastic.

The cat house is a lot less crowded in the back with going down to 3 tigers, 2 jaguars, 1 serval, 1 lion, 2 hyenas, 2 cheetahs, 2 snow leopards; wow typing it all out it still seems like there is a lot going on in there.

Also, the small mammal building seems to be loosing more and more species. Along the right wall, there's only 3 species of animals now. The ruffled lemur, ringtail lemur, and the golden lion tamarins. I can't remember what animal used to be there between the lemurs and the golden lion tamarins though, but they are no longer on display.

birdsandbats and StoppableSan like this.
  20. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That was the dourocouli's home. That's a shame, it was one of the species I was hoping would stay. :(

Wild wolverine and savetherhino like this.