Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 9 Jan 2020.

1. James Krasting

James Krasting Well-Known Member

Very sad to hear. I believe the zoo was planning on getting Jozi a mate once Mimi passed. Possibly in the next couple years.

2. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Correct

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

An iconic southern black rhino female has passed away. Some might think she would live forever, but that is alas not how it goes. BTW: At her age of 34 it is not unexpected really, although quite a few black rhino have surpassed this age bracket.

The remaining eastern black rhino female will be recommended for breeding in future.

savetherhino likes this.
  4. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 5+ year member

An article on the passing of Mimi: The Zoo Says Goodbye to Rhino, Mimi | Milwaukee County Zoo
    The article says that she has had three calves at other facilities, which I did not know and am happy to hear, especially because she was a wild-born rhino. She was always one of my favorites to take pictures of, always seemed to know to pose for the camera :D
    She will be missed. :(

5. Okapi Lover

Okapi Lover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From a quick search of old Black Rhino Studbooks, it appears that her calves are:
    • Ibala (485), a male at Taronga Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo, Australia;
    • Limpopo (681), a male at Fort Worth Zoo;
    • 1 female still birth in 1995 (570)

6. Wild wolverine

7. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. Wild wolverine

It's been a tough start of the year: The zoo is closed, we lost Mimi, and now Themba, both of which have been longtime favorites.
    Hopefully once the zoo is open again (or sooner!) we can get some good news.

9. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm dying to go back to Milwaukee, I just wish it was closer.

Do you guys think that the death of Themba could possibly make room for either one of Henry Vilas Zoo's two males?

savetherhino likes this.
  10. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think they'd try to get a male to go with the girls they just got

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  11. MKE Zoo guy

Not sure if they are on the SSP plan for the female lions that currently reside at MKE currently.

savetherhino likes this.
  12. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

13. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With all the indoor areas closed, the bulk of the zoo's collection will not be visible. It will still be nice to have it open, but I'm not sure I want to travel 2 hours to the Milwaukee zoo and not see the aviary or the AARC.

14. EsserWarrior

No bonobos, no Esser. :mad:

15. MKE Zoo guy

I honestly this is the best course of action. I know that this is less then what everyone would like but at least they are opening up again (hopefully). The zoo director wrote in the Milwaukee Business Journal that he has planned staged reopening plan. He really wants to reopen the zoo, just as many of us want to get back to "normal" complaining about the guests and the unruly kids banging on the exhibits. However, there is currently a new normal that we have to deal with until we can get back to somewhat post virus normal.

The best thing we can do is support the zoo by going when we can and donating things that the zoo needs. They have been closed for months and in the past if they don't have a strong March or April it affects how much they will loose overall, and since they have been closed they are hurting for funds. I realize that may mean we may not see our favorite exhibit that is in the Aviary or in the AARC or even in the primates building, however every single person going will help the zoo. I know that this is less the ideal and many of you already know this and are sadden because the zoo won't be 100% back, but it's a start.

Plus with what happened at the Bronx Zoo it's also for the welfare of the animals that so many of us deeply care about. It will be the summer and many of the animals will be outside, and some that we typically can't even see during the late fall/winter/early spring due to the temperature be so cold. We will get a chance to see these animals now even though some of the buildings will be closed. Also, the hippo exhibit will be finished and that is an outdoor exhibit as well so we will be able to experience phase II of Adventure Africa.

My hope and desire is that the zoo will be back to somewhat normal by August. The bright side in all of this is that the zoo is heading towards opening so that is a plus!

16. Wild wolverine

Well said. I couldn't agree more. By the time they reopen in (hopefully) late May or June, there is still a lot there that's outside: Bears and North America, All the exhibits in the central zoo, and we're not to forget that lots of inside building animals can be viewed in their outdoor exhibits; the cranes, flamingos, Macaque Island, orangs, the new(ish) colobus monkey exhibit, and of course all of the felines. Perhaps more slowly and complicated than we would've liked, but it's the best thing to do for the zoo and all of its visitors.

17. PocketCookie

PocketCookie Member

The Zoo announced that it will be canceling the 2020 Zoo a la Carte.

savetherhino likes this.
  18. MKE Zoo guy

Some good news, it looks like they are moving ahead on phase 3 of Adventure Africa. They will be (hopefully) sending out bid requests. They are looking to spend about $900k on this process. Here’s to them hopefully giving it a green light to proceed.

19. EsserWarrior

Could someone refresh me on what they are building in Phase 3?

20. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

New black rhino complex taking up the existing pachyderm mall, rhino exhibit(s) and the old elephant and red river hog exhibits. A new indoor hippo exhibit may also be added, along with a new exhibit to replace the old dall sheep mountain possibly.