Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee County Zoo news 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 2 Jan 2017.

1. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Goeldi’s monkeys are have had their exhibit extended into the former meerkat area. There are a few new empty exhibits but I don’t have a pictures of the new exhibits/empty ones.

Wild wolverine and Milwaukee Man like this.
  2. MKE Zoo guy

Speaking of the dust bowl, from the map that the zoo provided about the construction for Adventure Africa, it leaves out the dust bowl area. Has anyone heard if that exhibit is having anything done to it especially now that the zebras are moving or is it staying the same?

3. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Greater kudu, waterbuck, and a marabou stork would be all that remains in that exhibit so I'd imagine they would stay put until either they get a new exhibit in future Adventure Africa phases or get shipped out (the latter better not happen especially for the kudu!).

I've always wanted the prey animals in each of the four predator/prey exhibits to get new enclosures, and then the big cat enclosures could be expanded into the prey areas to create a "true" Big Cat Country section. I remember bringing this up to a keeper specifically regarding the cheetahs with the antelope below them eventually moving - she said she wished!

Also thanks for the serval pic - looks cool!

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  4. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

"The Zoological Society's goal this year is to raise money to enhance the new African hoofstock building and yards. The bongos, impalas, yellow-backed duiker and zebras will be moving to a larger area adjacent to the African elephants' new home. It is a quieter part of the Zoo and will hopefully be conducive to breeding for our herds of African hoofstock. The Zoo is hoping to add African Crowned Cranes and possibly a new species of African hoofstock to the group."

Annual Appeal: We're Hoofin' It! | Zoological Society of Milwaukee

5. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great find! The I find it strange there is no mention of the Thompson’s Gazelles, hornbills or vultures moving, which would make sense because they already live with the Impala. Still the addition of crown cranes and some new hoofstock are a welcome one.

savetherhino likes this.
  6. savetherhino

The gazelles and birds might be staying in the exhibit by the cheetahs after all. Just a guess

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That seems sensible as they are all pretty delicate for a big African Savannah experience and some have been known not to do well in there.

BTW: some nice and ambitious animal enrichment items up for auction or donation there!

8. MKE Zoo guy

The small renovations have continued to happen as we head deeper into the off season at the zoo. In the small mammals building, the armadillo exhibit has been moved further down. The exhibit is larger than its previous exhibit and is expanded into a adjacent exhibit location too. The Goeldi Monkey's has expanded. The Golden Lion Tamarins have had their exhibit expanded to include the adjacent exhibit as well.

In the Big Cat building, the serval is slowly getting adjusted, more of the paper is coming down. After talking with the zoo ambassador, there won't be a former announcement of the serval until its nearly or fully use to its surroundings.

Over in construction areas, it appears that construction has slowed on the first phase of Adventure Africa. The foundations are mostly poured, and other small changes are occurring. While things are slowing down with the elephants, the new west entrance has been picking up. The otter exhibit is coming along, with the roof being put on the back of house building.

Over the gazelles and birds staying by the cheetahs, I am wondering if it is because the are going to be going into a mix species exhibit with one of the other phases of Adventure Africa.

9. savetherhino

If they moved then their current exhibit would be empty

10. MKE Zoo guy

I think that may be part of the expansion plan. Between the new hippo exhibit and rhino, I feel that they are going to be needing the room.

savetherhino likes this.
  11. pachyderm pro

After my past couple of visits, it seems a pair of free ranging turkeys have made home at the zoo. I am unaware if they are owned by the zoo, or wild. I have spotted them near the primate house both times.

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  12. MKE Zoo guy

I talked with one of the zoo ambassadors on one of my previous visits about snow leopards and how they have a sign only promoting that the zoo has two. Apparently because the Greater Milwaukee Foundation are the ones that brought the two to the zoo that’s why they are being advertised. They are hoping that Asa and Orya will become a breading par once they start the introduction process, however that has not started yet.

Unrelated, I was walking around the last couple of times and was thinking that where the primates are, they are in a pretty wooded area, wouldn’t it be interesting if they started Zoo360 like the Philadelphia Zoo with the primates. Just a random thought.

13. pachyderm pro

14. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most likely wild. I have been seeing wild Wild Turkeys here even when I went as a little kid. The Trumpeter Swans here are wild too.

15. savetherhino

16. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My first Zoo Tour of the Milwaukee County Zoo - The Herb and Nada Mahler Family Aviary, which is without a doubt my all time favorite bird house. I did something a little different this time around. I didn't want it to be a video of just naming a bunch of random birds, so I do not act as a guide. This is the first video where I incorporate a narrative, a soundtrack, an animal soundtrack, and the live sounds from the video itself. Please do not point out the mistakes because I am aware that they exist. Regardless, please check it out and see why I call the greatest bird house I've come across. The next featured video will be at the Lincoln Park Zoo. If you want to know what animal will be covered, just look at the shot after the Crested Screamers.

MKE Zoo guy and Wild wolverine like this.