Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee: Fantasy Ideas, Dreams, Hopes

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 5 Mar 2018.

1. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’ve often wondered why we never had ostriches at the zoo.

2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's been a while since Milwaukee has had ostriches; the last one passed in 2012. They've been talked about being added in the elephant expansion. While I haven't heard anything more about them in this phase, I wouldn't be surprised if ostriches made an appearance at some point down the road - it feels odd to have a large African exhibit without them!

3. MKE Zoo guy

I've been researching, dreaming and thinking of ways I could reimagined the Africa area of the zoo. Overall, I demolished everything and started fresh.

My version of Adventure Africa

I started out thinking about the Milwaukee area and that its cold for a large chunk of the year. Starting with this I created a large building running the down the middle of the area. Inside the building that I'm calling "Adventure thru Africa" you will find many of the smaller species of African animals while telling the story of the areas that they are in and conservational efforts that are underway, also on ways you can get involved on saving the animals. Mixed throughout are areas are larger exhibits where you can visit the larger animals during the colder months. There will be at least 5 larger indoor exhibits where the animals are displayed with more natural looking exhibits, gone are the sterile exhibits, natural materials will be used along with some concrete. At the one end would be a larger indoor exhibit where the elephants are housed, the space is designed to keep them engaged but also to open up into their new larger outdoor space with the weather permits. At the other end, you will be greeted by the hippos in an underwater viewing area with space for them to roam on land too. The hippos are what greets you before entering the building.

Upon entering the new Adventure Africa you will be greeted by a large savannah area where giraffes, antelope, gazelles, ostriches, zebras, and kudu are roaming. There is a river splitting the exhibit into two separate areas and a walk out area where people can feel that they are in the middle of the savannah and they can also feed the giraffes. As you head south you will see the continuation of the savannah area with two areas split up so that there can be a possible two black rhinos exhibits. Also in this area would be a small village with fast food area, gift shops, and restrooms. As you continue on you will encounter the African Forest. Here the Bongos, Duikers, Okapi, and the African Wild Dogs will be. Continuing on from there would be the elephant exhibit and then the back of the zoo area.

On the other side of the new building, you will come across a sit down restaurant overlooking the Elephant exhibit as well as where the cheetahs, lions, and hyenas now resided. The elephant exhibit will have serval areas for the elephants to roam in and out of, with lots of enrichment opportunities.

The overall concept was to create more space for the animals, opportunities for more enrichment, and create a more year round experience.

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know all the zoo has planned for Australia is a walkabout, But I would like to see them get an exhibit for Wedge-Tailed Eagles right outside the walkabout. It would be possible. MCZ has Wedgies in the not so distant past.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. MKE Zoo guy

Recently was at the zoo and I saw the snow leopard awake and exploring its exhibit, which got me thinking. The current master plan is less then thought out when it comes to its Asian plans. So time to start dreaming of what would be improvement to the area.

It appears that several zoos are now creating multiple exhibits so that they can rotate the animals through out the day, I feel like it would be beneficial to see milwaukee do this with their animals too.

I really like the snow leopard exhibit, although at times it feels very cut off from the general viewing experience. I would like to see that change, and made to feel like its part of the flow of the zoo and not just something where you wonder whats inside this wooden structure. After that, I would like to see an additional exhibit open to have the ability to show case more then one snow leopard at a time. The same thought process goes for the tigers. The zoo currently has space for several tigers, I believe they said that they can hold up to 8ish at a time but when you could maybe have 2 or 3 on exhibit at a time.

Possibly add some new animals like the Takin, or the amur leopard. As much as I would dislike to see the lions, hyenas, and cheetahs leave, I think creating a strong Asia area would be good for the zoo. Also moving the animals that were displaced into the area that is their own, aka Adventure Africa.

6. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh this post was a long time coming. First off, a special thanks for your patience, and especially for the nice comments and interest in my Part 1 of this Hopes and Dreams thread. And now, here is Part 2, which will mostly stick to the Zoo's newly (somewhat) revealed Master Plan.

Adventure Africa
    • Phase 1: Keep the current plans for bongo and duiker in the Australia yard (though adding red river hogs would be nice if they can coexist), the savannah yard (perhaps with ostriches added) with zebras, impala, crowned crane, and the mystery hoofstock species, and the elephant habitat footprint. However, I'd like to see more of an actual African representation. Rather than fences and obvious concrete (based on what I'm seeing in the renders), how about some simulated mudbanks? Or some neat African artifacts or designs to add to the immersion? Based on the rendering, I also would like to see the elephant exhibit look more natural, with some protected foliage, varied terrain, and other naturalistic-looking features. Lastly, add back in the bridge that was planned for the elephants and hoofstock to coexist.
    • Phase 2: Keep the current hippo exhibit plans, but make it a bigger space with a decent-sized grassy land area, perhaps taking up the current elephant area. I also would like to see more river animals such as Nile crocodiles and spot-necked otters. The indoor areas (same building as the rhinos) would also contain naked mole rats, African cichlid tanks, dwarf mongoose, and African reptiles.
    • Phase 3: The only thing we know about this phase is rhinos and no renders, so this would be more of a "personal dream" section. I'd like to see two naturalistic outdoor black rhino habitats, a separate section for a breeding herd of greater kudu and birds, a segment where the antelope can enter/exit a rhino enclosure (and the rhinos can't), and an expansion of the giraffe exhibit somehow. The indoor areas (same building as the hippos) would also contain naked mole rats, African cichlid tanks, dwarf mongoose, and African reptiles.
    • Other: Add new habitats for spotted hyenas, a small cat species, spurred tortoises, and warthogs. If possible, bring in okapi and/or African wild dog. The currently empty Dall sheep exhibit can be redone into two different ways: one, make it into a netted aviary for vultures or an African bird of prey; two, create a unique kopje-like habitat with klipspringers, hyrax, and meerkats.

Alaska's Cold Coast
    I would keep the Lakeview restaurant, and grizzly bear, caribou, and pinniped exhibit plans as they are.

I'd make the following changes: I feel the polar bear exhibit would be too small despite being new, so I'm still sticking to my previous plan of the new polar bear habitat across from the current caribou exhibit. For further diversity, I'd add a bird species in with the caribou (snow geese perhaps?), and smaller animals along the pathway like Arctic fox, snowy owl, and maybe lemmings. The current polar bear/seal area: if possible, I think it would be really cool to have a walkthrough aviary with puffins and other birds, and (if they can coexist easily together and with proper barriers for guests) even keep the sea otters.

Wild Woods

Keep the current badger, moose, elk, cougar, lynx, fisher, and wolf exhibit plans.

To be more specific about the building plans: convert the Small Mammals Building into a "Wisconsin Ecology and Interpretive Center" with some conservation kiosks about the state, a few immersive features, some terrariums with native reptiles and amphibians, and a Wisconsin fish tank with an underwater tunnel. Also add the American black bears, bald eagles, and a walkthrough aviary with native birds.

Escape to the Islands

Keep the current plans for the Komodo dragon and Caribbean exhibits.

However, I would add/change the following: add an outdoor Komodo exhibit; transition the whole ARC into mostly an islands theme with the appropriate species (such as getting rid of the Wisconsin and African lake fish); add an Australian extension with a walkthrough habitat (red kangaroos, emus, black swans, other small macropods), Great Barrier reef tanks, tree kangaroos, birds (kookaburras, lorikeets, etc.), reptiles (like bearded dragons), and possibly Tasmanian devils, cassowaries, and koalas; lastly, I think it would be cool to have a siamang exhibit that can be connected to the Jungle area (see below) via ropes and vines.

Fragile Jungle

I'm overall not too crazy about what looks like multiple exhibits scattered around the building with little/no major theme. To be fair, this could be just due to speculating/unconfirmed species lists, or something similar. First off, rename from "Jungle" to something more "dramatic" and catches on with people. Then, keep the current Apes of Africa building, and either dramatically overhaul, or demolish and replace the current Primates of the World building. This complex would be divided into several sections starting from closest to the U.S. Bank Gathering Place:
    • Apes of Africa: Maintain the current plans to renovate the current indoor exhibits for gorillas and bonobos. However, I'd also make the surrounding guests areas much more reminiscent of an actual rainforest, and improve the outdoor habitats; I've said it before and I'll say it again - take advantage of the surrounding forest!
    • Congo Preserve: A rotating set of indoor/outdoor habitats for mandrill, colobus monkeys, de Brazza's monkeys, and possibly 1-2 other species.
    • Amazon Edge: The indoor area will have a walkthrough jungle with marmoset exhibits featuring tamarins (cotton top, golden lion, and golden-headed lion) and Goeldi's monkeys, an indoor spider monkey exhibit, an Amazon fish tank area, and various reptile and amphibian species. The outdoor section features spider monkeys, a mixed-species habitat with Baird's tapir, capybara, tortoise, crested screamer, and giant anteater, and potentially one more larger species like coatis.
    • Asian Forest: An indoor/outdoor section with the following: a mixed habitat with orangutan and siamang much like the previous plan I had. I also would like to see at least one new Asian primate added to the complex, whether it be lion-tailed macaques or langurs. It also would be cool to have the siamangs be able to access an enclosure connected to the Islands area (see above) via ropes and vines.
    • Lemur Tropics: See my Part 1 post.
    Big Cat Country
    I've hinted at this in the past, and now I'm finally releasing the full idea. As soon as the African animals leave for Adventure Africa (I wouldn't be surprised if the not-yet-mentioned kudu and other birds eventually join the others in a later phase), South American animals get relocated to other parts of the zoo or elsewhere, and the Bactrian camels to the Family Farm (see below), all of the outdoor big cat exhibits get expanded and take over their prey areas. So much more space, big trees, water moats, rolling green hills, large rocks, dramatic views, maybe a couple more glass window areas, some security enhancements on top of the rock work...this is the "Big Cat Country" that Milwaukee deserves in addition to the decent interior holding. This will be replacing the "Asian Trail" that is planned.

Family Farm

Keep the splash pad, however I'd get rid of the kangaroo walkabout and instead create a separate Bactrian camel section, part of which can allow for guests to have encounters with them much like the current Camel Talks that take place. I also would try to incorporate the alpacas into a yard whether it's make one dedicated to them, or replacing another species.

Other Changes

I still would like to see the "Milwaukee Zoo Museum" and "Nocturnal Kingdom" sections; the new Humboldt penguin habitat by the U.S. Bank Gathering Place can be designed to accommodate a mixed-species environment with birds such as Inca tern; the Special Exhibits area can go near the Family Farm; and I wouldn't touch the Macaque Island and Aviary areas at all.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I love your suggested added on plans for the Masterplan. I would hope zoo management read this thread ..., and be more bold and ambitious!!!

8. MKE Zoo guy

I really appreciate this, it seems well thought out and also taking what the zoo already has a placing existing exhibits into more appropriate areas. Keeping the assets the zoo has but shifting them into the right themed lands creating space for other exhibits in the right areas.

I feel like the zoo needs to decided to either expand the rest of Adventure of Africa to take up the existing area currently occupied by South America or figure out a better plan for the area then Asian Trails. Expanding AA would allow for greater exhibits showcasing more species and potential breeding of several species. If the AT was removed, I am not sure where they could be moved to, and we would potentially loose snow leopards, red pandas, and tigers. Any ideas where AT could me moved to, in order to give them the proper space?

One last thing that I think we have been over looking but would be beneficial to the zoo. Is how to make the zoo more green. The zoo has some solar panels but I think a great solar presence would be better. Thinking like Cincinnati Zoo, posting solar panels in the parking lot creating shade for the cars and energy for the zoo. Also, creating water holding tanks or times to help with the hippo tank or the elephant lake or any new water intensive exhibit that are created in the future. The cost may be large but I feel like it would eventually save money for the zoo and give them more money back in the long term for better exhibits more often and to place them in better financial success.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2018
    Milwaukee Man likes this.
  9. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How/what should be done with the primate building renovation to improve it?

10. birdsandbats

StoppableSan and savetherhino like this.
  11. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

I would bring back moose and possibly bring muskoxen to Milwaukee County Zoo because not many zoos in America have muskoxen.

12. birdsandbats

There are plans to bring back Moose.

Where would the zoo keep Musk Oxen?

13. MKE Zoo guy

Honestly, I feel like much of it should be torn down. The building itself feels dark, cramped, and very hard to see animals in their not visually appealing or stimulating enclosures. Not to mention the outside exhibits that they've been making recently are interlocking boxed cages. Overall, I would like to see the exhibits to be more inviting, stimulating, more natural material being used both inside and outside exhibits. I realize that this is more a 30,000ft view, but its a place to start.

14. birdsandbats

I completely disagree. I think it is actually pretty good the way it is. I think the orangutans is really the only area that needs renovation (excluding renovations that are being done now) and I think the only thing the building really needs is more small animal enclosures, which is what I discussed in the gallery comments above.

savetherhino likes this.
  15. MKE Zoo guy

After going to Lincoln Park Zoo and seeing their exhibits, it makes Milwaukee's look very sad. Their gorilla and chimpanzee exhibits are large, have natural materials both inside and outside. The animals I see don't look sad or depressed or not lazy all the time at the LPZ. (Not saying that they always need to be active) The walking areas for the public seems large and exhibits are easily visible regardless of age. Many of the exhibits seem too small and too much concrete at MCZ.

savetherhino likes this.
  16. birdsandbats

I agree the exhibits are a little on the small side, but I don't think they are small enough to warrant tearing down a perfectly good building. In fact, the only building in the zoo I think needs to be demolished is the Small Mammal House. And I don't think non-naturalistic exhibits is a bad thing.

17. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In some naturalistic exhibits it's hard to see the animals

18. MKE Zoo guy

Right but when the exhibit is design right it’s not a problem.

19. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For me I'd love to see the planned Walkabout become an interesting complex for animals like Koalas, Kookaburras, and possibly Platypus

20. birdsandbats

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Let's try to keep this thread somewhat realistic. ;)