Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Milwaukee: Fantasy Ideas, Dreams, Hopes

Discussion in 'United States' started by MKE Zoo guy, 5 Mar 2018.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Milwaukee Man already posted an all-new fantasy master plan. Here is 'master' master plan; that is, what I think is the maximum potential for the current master plan without changing anything:

Adventure Africa:
    The yards we have seen built so far are good. :) I would love to see Warthogs added to the savanna yard and Red River Hogs added to the forest yard. I would also like to see a small yard for African Spurred Tortoises. I would like to see a building featuring terrariums for the following:
    -Mali Uromastyx
    -Black Mamba
    -Rainbow Agama
    -Kenyan Sand Boa
    -Ethiopian Mountain Adder
    -Naked Mole Rat
    I would like to see fish such as Zebra and Spotted Tilapia featured in the hippo pool. I would also like too see part of the current pachyderm house converted into an aviary, featuring the following:
    -Fulvous Whistling-Duck
    -Shoebill
    -Namaqua Dove
    -Great Blue Turaco
    -Black Crake
    -African Darter
    -Black-Crowned Night Heron
    -Glossy Ibis
    -Red-Billed Quelea
    I would also love to see the old Dall Sheep exhibit used for Klipspringers.

Alaska's Cold Coast
    Fine just the way it is.

Asian Trail
    REPLACE JAGUAR WITH AMUR LEOPARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the "modified Asian species exhibit", I would like to see Nilgai. For the "small Asian species" I would like to see Asian Small-Clawed Otter, Prevost's Squirrel, and Asian Forest Tortoise.

New East Entry
    No requests.

Escape to the Islands
    I would like to see terrariums for the following (you know, in addition to the Komodo):
    -Jamaican Iguana
    -Brahminy Blind Snake
    -Burmese Python
    -Brown Tree Snake
    -Tuatara
    -Tomato Frog
    -Henkel's Leaf-Tailed Gecko
    For the 'birds' I would love to see:
    -Guam Kingfisher
    -Guam Rail
    -Kiwi
    -Golden White-Eye
    -White-Throated Ground-Dove
    -Kagu
    -Island Scrub-Jay
    -Streamertail
    -Kea (with outdoor section)
    A touch pool featuring:
    -Cownose Ray
    -Yellow Stingray
    -Whitespotted Bamboo Shark
    -Zebra Shark
    I would also like to see:
    -Greater Hedgehog Tenrec
    -Aye-Aye
    -Isle Royale Red Squirrel
    -Red Ruffed Lemur

The Farm/Australia Walkabout
    I would love for the walkabout to feature Koalas and Cape Barren Geese.

The Jungle
    Would love to see American Mink brought back to the Macaque Island. I would also love to these smaller species:
    -Common Dwarf Mongoose
    -Tree Shrew
    -Potto
    -Moholi Bushbaby
    -Springhaas
    -Sugar Glider
    -Kinkajou
    -White-Bellied Pangolin
    -Common Vampire Bat
    -Straw-Colored Fruit Bat
    -Three-Banded Armadillo
    -Golden Lion Tamarin
    -Red-Rmped Agouti
    -Two-Toed Sloth
    -Night Monkey

Aviary
    Good the way it is.

Wild Woods
    I would love to see these raptors:
    -Northern Saw-Whet Owl
    -Great Horned Owl
    -Red-Tailed Hawk
    -Osprey
    -Peregrine Falcon
    And in the interior exhibits:
    -Red-Eyed Vireo
    -Yellow Warbler
    -Eastern Gray Squirrel
    -Western Fox Snake
    -Boreal Chickadee
    -Gray Jay
    -American Three-Toed Woodpecker
    -Pileated Woodpecker
    -Eastern Wood-Pewee
    -Northern Cardinal
    -Purple Martin
    -Cedar Waxwing
    -Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
    -Great Blue Heron
    -Common Snapping Turtle
    -Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

savetherhino likes this.
  2. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What happens to the Thompson's Gazelle yard?
    I'd bring back Speke's gazelle

birdsandbats likes this.
  3. birdsandbats

Use it as an expansion for the rhino yard; Thompson's Gazelles go in the savanna.

4. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Wild Woods I feel like some of this could be incorporated into Lake Evinrude somehow, since many of the species are around the lake or could be introduced. Would you add anything else besides a larger raptor section?

5. birdsandbats

It's not planned to be near the lake!

When I made that list, I was trying to mix some common bird species native to Milwaukee, as well as throw in a few rare bird species from the very northern parts of the state to throw together the whole thing. Really, what I want is a lot of native birds (including some rare ones). I don't think some more common mammals are a bad way to go either, if the birds are harder to get. Here is alternate list for the interior section of Wild Woods, which focuses more on mammals rather than birds:
    -Eastern Cottontail
    -Fox Squirrel
    -Southern Flying Squirrel
    -Long-Tailed Weasel
    -Little Brown Bat
    -Eastern Chipmunk
    -Tufted Titmouse
    -Painted Turtle
    -North American Deer Mouse
    -American Robin
    -Cedar Waxwing
    -Monarch
    -Northern Raccoon

6. savetherhino

Its not by the rhinos

7. MKE Zoo guy

I know where it’s planned to be I am the one that broke the news. I was saying that some of the things you were mentioning could be introduced to the Lake and have signs posted around the lake or even on the hidden gem bird walk.

I couldn’t agree more with your explaination on this section. I would like to see many native animals brought to this area that you could find in the state.

8. birdsandbats

I didn't even post this 24 hours ago and I can still think of improvements:

Escape to the Islands
    Maleo and an outdoor enclosure for Io.

Wild Woods
    Kirtland's Warbler!!!!!!

savetherhino likes this.
  9. birdsandbats

Here are some other cool improvement ideas for Milwaukee that do not fit the current plan:

Alien Invaders
    I've always imagined this complex where the special exhibit space currently is. This complex would focus on local introduced and/or invasive species and talk about their effect on the environment, as well as how to help prevent them.
    Outdoor Exhibits:
    -Domestic Cat
    -Mute Swan
    -Wild Boar
    -Koi
    -Beech Marten
    -House Sparrow
    -European Starling
    -Monk Parakeet
    Indoor Exhibits:
    -Japanese Beetle
    -Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle
    -Round Goby
    -Goldfish
    -Sea Lamprey
    -Asian Clam
    -Banded Mystery Snail
    -Zebra Mussel
    -Rusty Crayfish
    -Great Tit
    -European Goldfinch
    -Common Earthworm
    -Fishhook Waterflea
    -Bighead Carp
    -Alewife
    -Northern Snakehead
    -Rainbow Smelt
    -Eurasian Ruffe

Sulawesi
    This complex would take up the current Macaque Island and Sea Lion Arena. The macaque would be converted to hold Sulawesi Crested Macaques. Where the Sea Lion Area currently is, there would be an aviary for Maleos and a yard for Lowland Anoas.

Japan
    Here is a completely different plan for the same area as the Sulawesi complex. The Japanese Macaques would stay where they are. Where the Sea Lion stadium is, there would a paddock for Sika Deer and Japanese Serow. Where the current Southern Screamer habitat is, that would be netted and home to Mandarin Ducks as well as Japanese White-Eyes.

Invert House
    Not too much to say here, but I always thought the AARC would make a good insectarium.

I have tons of ideas like this, so if you want more just let me know. :)

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. birdsandbats

Here's another idea for the Asian Trail in the master plan:

I would like to see it turn into Asian Cats with exhibits for the following:
    -Amur Tiger
    -Amur Leopard
    -Snow Leopard
    -Mainland Clouded Leopard
    -Caracal
    -Eurasian Lynx
    -Fishing Cat
    -Pallas's Cat
    -Jungle Cat

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. MKE Zoo guy

One thing that I would like to see is that the zoo would make all future exhibits in line for possible breeding programs for any animal that they house. That doesn’t mean that they have to breed them, they just have the potential. I realize that this may cut down on the number of species that the zoo holds.

savetherhino and StoppableSan like this.
  12. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a feeling that the "temporary" exposed concrete as well as the odd fencing choices are temporary with regards to Adventure Africa, since the main objective was to get the elephants/zebras/impala/bongo/duiker out of their original yard since the infrastructure was close to crumbling. With that said, would the Zoo expand the elephant exhibit further? Or pull a National Zoo and have an "immersion" yard stimulating a riverbank and an "enrichment" yard with the shade structures? I honestly have high hopes for this complex with regards to the welfare aspect, but in terms of immersion, I'm honestly underwhelmed.

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I dont know if it's just me but it seemed there was more room for the simangs than there was for the orangutans surprised they never switched each others exhibits but that being said a overhaul of the primate house would seem crucial. In my opinion if they could make a few exhibits the size of the bonobo exhibit and by that, meaning mixed primate species of each continent, with each having a outdoor yards would make make it superb,.

14. savetherhino

That would be great if it happened

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. MKE Zoo guy

Recently I have been thinking as I look around at other zoos across the country that are opening up new exhibits and its been making me really reflect about Milwaukee's future. For the last couple of years the zoo has been reporting that they aren't meeting their projected attendance by a large percent, enough that they have to report the lost in revenue to the county. They are currently in this renovation to at least the Africa area of the zoo. Here is where my concern resides.

This renovation to the African area of the zoo is bring more space to the animals that are living in the exhibits, however are they future proofing or making the exhibits something to make Milwaukee zoo a destination place again, I would argue no. The first phase of Adventure Africa has opened, and I am glad that animals have more room to roam per se, but it leaves a lot to desire. As an amateur photographer its hard to get photos of the animals in the exhibits that doesn't make it feel like they are in a cage. While other facilities are trying to go with "cage less" exhibits, Milwaukee seems to have gone the opposite direction.

When other facilities understand the environment that they are in, and are making exhibits that are responsive to the season, Milwaukee only focuses on one, summer. Many of these animals that they are building new exhibits for will only be seen when the weather is just right to let them outside. An example would the new hippo exhibit that is about to begin construction. I am super excited to see the hippos underwater, and to see them in a bit larger exhibit, however they will only be out maybe half the year, the other half they are in their indoor exhibit that is really hard to seem them and has a lot of concrete. Looking at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, they are building this exhibit that understand that the animals in their care will also be spending a lot of time inside as well and they are building an area similar to their outdoor exhibit inside. People will be invited to see the hippos both inside or outside year round depending on the weather.

I understand that Milwaukee by all accounts is not the wealthiest zoo or is as well support by the community as others may be but I feel like the renovations that they are doing, aren't really helping to elevate the zoo to the standard that they are trying to project to the community. When so many other zoos are going to mixed species and larger roaming exhibits. Milwaukee is sticking with there single animal exhibits (granted I know there are a few mixed species exhibits) that are small. In comparing to other facilities that have large multi acres exhibits.

Milwaukee has has been playing this renovation in a safe way. There were plans to have many of the exhibits connected and have giraffes walking with rhinos and zebras and impalas with the elephants, creating something that was truly unique and not something that is around the Milwaukee area at all. One would need to go to San Diego or elsewhere to see something similar, (yes there are a few other non-aza facilities that offer mixed species exhibits around, but are small and hardly known about).

My personal opinion is that I am glad that they are renovating and bring new life into the zoo, however the new life into the zoo feels very much like the old life. It's very basic, and will look outdated within years of it opening, the exhibits will need to be redone but won't for another 20 to 50 years unless something large changes. The new otter exhibit is the perfect example of an exhibit that the zoo should be striving to create, and the new impala yard is exactly what the zoo should avoid.

The zoo has so much land and potential, St. Louis Zoo is half the size but does almost 2 million more visitors. The Milwaukee zoo is in a competitive market with Henry Zoo in Madison, NEW Zoo in Green Bay, and Brookfield Zoo and Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago to name a few. Milwaukee Zoo needs to do something that will attract people from these areas, and relaying on having one animal that other zoos may not (elephants) is not the best plan of action. The exhibits need to be top notch and have a story to tell, the new otter exhibit does that. Now they need to spread that to the other exhibits that they are renovating, while also keeping in mind that Wisconsin has 4 season and not all animals can be out in all 4 season, so how do we keep people coming back year round and enriching the lives of the animals in their care, while promoting conservation!

16. PocketCookie

PocketCookie Member

I completely agree. I think many of the projects from the 2013 master plan would've helped the year round goal for the zoo. But it is understandable as why they focused on the African exhibits. (Star animals and huge need for improvement).

Once all phases of A.A. are finished I really hope they focus on these colder weather exhibit ideas, such as Wild Woods, Alaska's Cold Coast, and Asia Trail. I would hope the reevaluate design aspects to meet a newer standard and concepts since by that time the master plan will be 10ish years old.

But I think the Wild Woods exhibit idea is EXACTLY what the zoo needs. Focusing on animals that are (somewhat) native to Wisconsin and replacing one of the worst exhibits in the Zoo.

17. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

I think Wild Woods would be a cool addition to Milwaukee County Zoo.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ok, my turn. Here are a few ideas based off the zoos current strategic plan.

Adventure Africa: Milwaukee is one of northernmost zoos in the country, so if the zoo wants to have a large African area, they're going to have to get creative. So, I decided to build an African area that revolves around three indoor areas with outdoor exhibits connected. This would take up the current Adventure Africa exhibits, plus the rest of the pachyderm mall, Big Cat Country and hoofstock yards (basically the entire central U shaped portion of the zoo).
    • The centerpiece of the exhibit would be the main savannah yard home to elephants, impala, zebras and large birds - plus the giraffes who would also have access to it but would still have the exiting exhibit the are in now. Basically build the originally planned yard that was cut back that would be where the existing elephant yards and barn are at. Add an elephant demo yard, two off exhibit elephant yards and an off exhibit hoostock yard. Where the picnic area is now, add a large eatery that overlooks the savannah.
    • The Sahara House would be the largest of the three indoor buildings and would basically be the winter holding for elephants and giraffes. The whole area would be themed around the Sahara desert and would include natural light from the roof. Include some smaller herps as well as side exhibits for sand cats and fennec foxes.
    • The Floodplain House would basically be the rhino and hippo barn also with a few side exhibits for animals found in the African floodplains. Keep the existing plans for the two rhino yards on each side of the building, but make the hippo exhibit much larger, extending it all the way to take up most of the impala country yard.
    • The Kopje House is the final main building in the area. The highlights would be new outdoor/indoor exhibits for the lions, hyenas and cheetahs. Also include outdoor exhibits for waterbuck, kudu, meerkats, caracals, cape porcupines, klipspringer, rock hyrax and dwarf mongoose. Inside, include naked mole rats, lizards, tortoises and fish.
    • Other additions to Adventure Africa would include a petting paddock for Nigerian dwarf goats and a cheetah run area, plus a small play area.
    Alaska's Cold Coast: I'm not sure if this would be a controversial decision or not, but considering a lack of stock and space phasing out polar bears doesn't seem like a bad idea. Instead, convert the entirety of the current polar bear and seal exhibits into a sea otter rescue and rehabilitation center. Maybe give an underwater view from within the existing restaurant. On the other end of the exhibit, make the entry area to faux alaskan village. Covert both the existing bear exhibit and current caribou/crane yard into one large grizzly bear exhibit, that would be blend in with the forest environment perfectly. Keep the plan that involves the caribou moving to the current elk exhibit, and also keep the plan for a new sea lion exhibit where the current prairie dog, badger and brown bear exhibits are. Stellar's sea lions in particular would be cool. Lastly, add exhibits for arctic foxes and ground squirrels across from the current caribou exhibit.

Asia Trail: The current plans for Asia trail are extremely underwhelming, so relocate the project to the top of the zoo on the site of the current monkey island, sea lion stadium, special exhibits complex and undeveloped forest behind them. Covert the current monkey island into an island for orangutans and siamangs. Turn the viewing shelter into an education complex about deforestation. Use the rest of the space to add exhibits for tigers (two exhibits), dholes, snow leopards, red pandas, camels, gaur, nilgai, blackbuck and smaller birds.

Escape to the Islands: I like these plans for the most part, just make sure to theme the existing ARC with island fish and herps instead of the existing tanks. Maybe giving the komodos and outdoor exhibit wouldn't hurt either.

Wild Woods: Again, I like this one the way it is mostly. The only things I would add would a large bald eagle aviary, a native birds walkthrough area and um... yeah that it's. This one already looks really good.

Now for some brand new stuff.

Congo Trek: Completely gut the interiors of Apes of Africa and Primates of the World to crate a large African forest complex. On the entry boardwalk, there will be two yards, one for red river hogs and one for bongos/duiker. Include indoor and outdoor exhibits for gorillas, bonobos, mandrills, Diana monkeys and colobus monkeys. Take advantage of the forest that surrounds the building to create an immersion type experience. Add an exhibit for okapi on the other end of the building. On the inside include a variety of fish and herps, plus new exhibits for pottos and galagos.

Adventure Down Under: Bring back this scrapped exhibit from the dead and double down on Australian animals. Replacing the family farm, this would be one of if not the most comprehensive collections of Australian animals outside of the continent. Typical walkabout with kangaroos, wallabies and emus, as well as koalas, tree kangaroos, wombats, echidnas, numbats, little blue penguins, kookaburras, herps and fish. Both indoor and outdoor exhibits would be featured for most species.

Tropical America: I really like @Milwaukee Man's idea for his South American exhibit on the site of the current woodland eatery, so this is based off of that. Include new outdoor exhibits for jaguars, spider monkeys, tapirs, anteaters, sakis, caimans and a tamarin house. The main building would feature interior spider monkey and jaguar exhibits, plus more herps and fish.

19. birdsandbats

Remember out talk in the Brookfield thread about being realistic? :p

20. MKE Zoo guy

I wonder if adding an insect addition to maybe the aviary would be a unique addition. Being able to showcase some of the different insects from around the world and adding a butterfly garden too. I realize that the Milwaukee Public Museum already has one (butterfly room) but with them maybe it would be something they could incorporate into the building. Maybe still it could be an expansion option from the Great Apes building to the Aviary, almost making it one large complex with both sides potentially get and expansion and the insects filling the gap between the two buildings.