Join our zoo community

Miniature Animal Figure Collection

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by ollielloyd, 3 Oct 2009.

1. zooman1

zooman1 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i was lucky to get a Kudu from Ebay but have found it very hard to come by a water buffalo and oryx. i hope you can find one

2. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I almost got my paws on a water buffalo this week. Someone was elling one on ebay as a "caribou" I put in what I thought was a pretty high bid and lost. It went for over 80 dollars American. Jeez.

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At a guess I would say the zoo animals ceased production in the early 1980s. The last ones I remember buying were the black rhino, moose and gaur.

4. Charly

Charly Member

I collect Schleich Animals since many years and I have now an almost compleet colelction of Fram and Wlidlife and both Marine animals sereis. The new whale shark is one of my favourite model, I was wondering, the Schleich Whale shark is not available at the Georgia Aquarium Giftshops ! Every year, I guess with other colelctors, with animals will come out the following yera. For 2010, i hope for a malayan tapir, more antelopes, a shoebill and a cassowary. I would like also to get a sumatran rhinos and a series of the most famous elephant bulls in zoos ! But i have to say, Schleich never produced a water buffalo, I think, you meant the cape buffalo ? I have one of them in good condition fior exchange.

I have a lot of the Britains animals, too. I'm still looking for the big african elephant.

5. groundskeeper24

Yeah, it's a cape buffalo, but it's always listed as a water buffalo when I see it for sale. I don't know if that's what Schleich officially named it. Definately has the appearance of a cape.

I managed to get myself an oryx yesterday. I paid a pretty penny for it, but it was number one on my wishlist. I bought it from a fella in Spain, so it'll take a bit to arrive, I would assume.

6. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a stockist for safari replicas in the UK?

I contacted them and short of telling me that they only sell direct to customers in the USA they weren't very helpful and couldn't even tell me if they have stockists in the UK.

I really want to get the Malayan tapir which they said will be shipping at the beginning of February.

Thanks!

7. groundskeeper24

Schleich is making a tapir in 2010 as well.

8. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

9. groundskeeper24

Yup. That's the one.

10. Shirokuma

I emailed them about when it would be available too but haven't had a response.

11. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

i got the kudu today for £3.50 what a bargin

12. groundskeeper24

That's a heckuva deal! I paid 40 American for mine. I won't say what I paid for my oryx. Major impulse buy! Can't complain, though. It's my favorite figure.

13. groundskeeper24

I'm thinking about getting into collecting the Japanese Furuta Choco Egg animals. They are pretty detailed for thier size and not too expensive. They produce a lot of species native to Japan as well as some more obscure animals. Anyone have any?

14. groundskeeper24

The word on the internet is that Schleich will come out with reworkings of both the cape buffalo and kudu, complete with calves. There will also be a wolverine. This is good news to me, seeing that the kudu and cape buffalo (retired versions) tend to be very expensive and hard to find.

I've recently expanded my collecting to Papo and a few Safari figures. My wife got me a Safari cape buffalo at the Cincinnati Zoo last weekend and it looks great. Papo has some nice figures, but the scale is pretty disappointing on a lot of them. The tiger and rhino are the same size.

When I get into a new house in a few months, I'm considering building a model zoo with the figures instead of just stuffing them into a curio. Could be fun.

15. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ever so often I too buy Schleich figures when I'm at zoos and I have collected quite a few over the years. As of right now I have:

-Two Greater Kudus ( Two different variations)
    -Okapi
    -Family ( Bull, Cow, Calf) of Asian Elephants
    -Male Siberian Tiger w/ cub
    -White Bengal Tigress w/ white cub
    -Rocky Mountain Goat
    -Giant Panda w/ cub
    -Indian Rhinoceros
    -Family of Nile Hippos
    -Family of Chimpanzees
    -Grant's Zebra w/ foal
    -Reticulated Giraffe w/ calf
    -Two families of African Elephants ( Two Variations)
    -American Bison w/ Calf
    -Cheetah
    -African Lion (male)
    -Red Kangaroo
    -Koala
    -Reindeer/ Carinou
    -Przewalski's Horse
    -Emperor Penguin
    -Llama
    -Brown Bear
    -Polar Bear w/ Cub
    -Jaguar
    -Bactrian Camel
    -Giant Anteater

I also have several extinct animals, farm animals, and horses from Schleich as well.

16. Shirokuma

I don't like many animal figures because most of the ranges are inconsistent in the scale they use.

17. groundskeeper24

Yeah, that's definitely true. Papo has some neat figures with horrible size scale ranges. The tiger is as big as the rhino. Schleich's okapi is also a bit on the large side. It's being discontinued this year.

18. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

I have a collection of animal figurines including:
    3 Okapi
    7 White Rhino
    2 Black Rhino(It says there species underneath)
    1 Koala
    6 Polar Bear
    2 Brazilian Tapir
    15 African Lion(2 Male's and 7 Female 6 Cubs)
    2 Indian Rhino
    3 White Bengal Tiger
    3 Meerkats
    2 Adult Warthog and 3 Piglets
    2 Black leopard
    1 Komodo Dragon
    2 Spectacled Bear
    and about 450 more!

19. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

If anybody is selling some of there figures including:
    4 Cheetah
    2 Indian Rhino
    3 Komodo Dragon
    5 Female Western Lowland Gorilla
    2 Male and 5 female White Lion maybe even cubs to add to my 2 female and 1 cub:D
    1 male Asian Elephant and 4 female's
    Then id be intrested i know of schleich and ebay but i am looking for some spefic figures:)
    Pm if you have any avaliabe.
    Regards Jordan.

20. Bluetitan

Bluetitan New Member

Hi maybe someone in this thread may be able to help me? I found this site while trying to find the best way to sell my Britains zoo collection from the 60s I have now joined the site as I found it really intresting and enjoy anything to do with wildlife but I still wish to move on my collection since it sits in a couple of boxes and never sees the light. I have been looking for a while now and wonder if anyone could point me to a web site, or someone to contact, I have looked at ebay but I know I have some of the more wanted ones and would rather have more of an idear what they are worth. they are not in A1 condition as they were well played with when I was young but they are 40 to 45 years old and not copies. I have around 90. any help or advice would be welcome.:)