Join our zoo community

Miniature Animal Figure Collection

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by ollielloyd, 3 Oct 2009.

1. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Received Mojo's Proboscis Monkey and Gaur yesterday, two more figures on the way! :)

ZooBinh likes this.
  2. Great Argus

@Kakapo I noted the Opah in your photo of the Colorata set, though I found it doesn't belong to the Colorata set. What brand is it, if you don't mind? I'm interested but having trouble finding it!

3. Great Argus

All four now arrived, with Schleich's Asian Elephant bull and Homonive's Major Mitchell's Cockatoo completing the four. The cockatoo is a bit larger comparatively to most of my bird figures, but well done so not too big an issue for me. :)

20190601_134959.jpg 20190601_135057.jpg

Bisonfan, TinoPup, ZooBinh and 2 others like this.
  4. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

The opah doesn't belong to Colorata because none of the other figures of the photo belongs to Colorata. As explained in the message, all of them belongs to Ikimon - Kitan Club - Nature Techni Colour. Opah belongs to Deep Sea Set 2 together with colossal squid, while the oarfish and coelacanth (and also the frilled shark shown in a previous post) belongs to Deep Sea Set 1.

That proboscis monkey is on my wishlist too.

And now the additions received this week:
    1. Common genet (Genetta genetta). No brand, only "China" stamped in the belly. The figure is made of a soft, rubbery plastic, but still a very good and detailed sculpt, and perfect in size, what is a difficult to find thing with smaller mammals.
    Before repainting:
    [​IMG]

After repainting:
    [​IMG]

2. Pygmy hog (Sus salvanius) from Joy City. I was illusionated by this figure since the moment of know its existence, as it's a very wished obscure animal for me, and much better done than the other JoyCity animals. However when I opened the mail I was disappointed. It measures just 4,5 cm lenght! It would be a 1:30 scale more or less, too tiny for me. Besides that, the texture is extremely grainy with hundreds of micro grains. I will not include it in my collection. I'll add with my Colorata fishes (red sea bream, skipjack tuna and Japanese pufferfish) as a figure for trade by other figures if somebody want!
    [​IMG]

3. Mountain nyala (Tragelaphus buxtoni) from CollectA. As with most CollectA figures, i'ts a masterpiece!
    [​IMG]

Tragelaphines to the power! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With other horned pal also endemic of the Horn of Africa, the hirola:
    [​IMG]

4. Chinstrap penguin (Pygoscelis antarctica) by Safari LTD. This is the second bird in my collection. I improved considerably the paintjob and also sharpened the bill and the claws.

[​IMG]

Antarctic pals:
    [​IMG]

Before and after (frontal):
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Before and after (rear):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Reindeer (Rangifer tarandus), of the "woodland caribou" subspecies (Rangifer tarandus caribou), by CollectA. This figure danced a lot in and out of my wishlist. First, I considere reindeer as a too banal and well known species for me, as I prefair more obscure species. But then I saw the development of the stags of this figure and I fell in love. But after that I knew the measurements and it looked too big for me. But after that I calculated that a portion of these measurements belongs to the horns and my rigidity for scale acceptance also softened slightly, so I finally included in my wishlist. But after that I noticed the figure only have 1 frontal fan of the stags, the other stag don't have a fan, just a sharp simple point. Still despite that I was in love with this reindeer over any other reindeer figure, and finally I've got it. And after getting it, I discovered how often, real alive woodland caribous have assymetrical development of stags and very often they miss one of the frontal fans. So then the CollectA figure is absolutely accurate.

[​IMG]

Hungry polar bear, worried by the ice smelting, forgot the seals and tried to prey on more agile land preys. Will he succeed in this distracted male caribou while he munch some arctic willows (ehem, yes, Polycarpon)?
    [​IMG]

And by last, 6. Strap-toothed whale (Mesoplodon layardi). Probably originally from Nayab, and later adopted by Happy Kin Toys. I didn't took pics of the "before" but I also retouched this one, cutting the inner side of the teeth (originally attached to the muzzle as simple prominences) for make them clearly separated from the muzzle. I also added some diffuse white in the zone where white meets black in the back, around the dorsal fin. The original one had a too sharp delimitation between both colours.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Great Argus

Ah, ok. Thanks!

I might be interested in a trade for the fish, pm me?

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

It looks like a pottery pig.

ZooBinh and Great Argus like this.
  7. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

My collecting fever go a step further! [​IMG] I passed many days looking at the animals of a stationery nearby my home, and finally I decided to buy something. They're all common ABC species! I'm an obscure-species lover and in my starting of the collection I never would imagined that I would fell in love with figures of banal species. However, they're so perfectly well done that I fell in love!

1. Red deer (Cervus elaphus), by CollectA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In southern Andalusia, a hungry Iberian lynx try to find something. By surprise he finds this big stag. A too powerful, big and dangerous prey. The deer know it and try to threat the predator by a menacing posture and bellowing. Shortly after, the lynx retreat silently in look for a less tricky prey...
    [​IMG]

2. Mandrill (Mandrillus sphinx) by Schleich:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the Congo rainforest, a mandrill have an encounter with one of the most mysterious inhabitants of this region...
    [​IMG]

3. And by last, the tiger (Panthera tigris), by Schleich:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tiger is hungry, but a gaur is a magnific oponent. The fearless gaur look at the tiger with contempt. This bull is strong and healthy and can deal with the predator. So the tiger must look for something easier...
    [​IMG]

The tiger spots a perfect prey! A male blackbuck, ideal for a meal!
    [​IMG]

But the blackbuck perceive the predator before he can approach enough, and flee quickly. Next time, Mr Tiger....!
    [​IMG]

8. Great Argus

Ok so I'm curious, how big are your collections? Seems like quite a few people have decent collections!

My standard collection is at 168 figures, with another 4 on the way!
    I also have around 400 minis.

TinoPup likes this.
  9. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I have 86 figures. Since my collection is synoptic, I have also 86 species. I don't separate "minis" (toobs, I assume) from normal figures, I just try that all my animals are more or less at same scale (except bigger cetaceans, that I get at much smaller scales). So, for example, my only toob figure is the Safari LTD chinstrap penguin, but that's because this penguin is not too big compared with my other animals (big brands make all non-toob birds usually too big for my tastes).

I would like to have some of the monkeys of the Safari LTD monkey toob, because they fit in scale with other animals. But I don't want to buy the entire toob for that! :p

Great Argus likes this.
  10. Great Argus

My most recent additions: Grevy's Zebra, Przewalski's Horse, and Giant Eland by CollectA, Eurasian Kingfisher by Papo, and Short-beaked Echidna by Southlands. The 3 from CollectA as excellent as always, and the kingfisher is small but well done. Slightly disappointed in the echidna, it is smaller than I expected and there is an obvious mark where the plastic entered the mold.

20190622_172701.jpg 20190622_172744.jpg

Bisonfan and TinoPup like this.
  11. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Nice additions. I have the echidna and the eland - both bought in the same batch, in my first online figurine shopping - , the echidna is a bit too big but this is almost impossible to avoid with smaller animals. This same Przewalski's horse is in my wishlist as I find it much better than the Safari one. In the earliest times of my collecting I've found the Grevy's zebra for sale in my nearest stationery, and I didn't bought it because the stripes of the face and the butt are badly done - but now I regret it, and it could have been easy to repaint. Of course the gigantic kingfisher will never form part to my collection :D
    Shame about the echidna's mark. Mine don't have it, so this is not present always in this model...

Great Argus likes this.
  12. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

My last item, seen many times for sale since years ago in local shops, but I never decided to buy it until this week. I corrected one of the main reasons for don't buy it: the blunt claws. Now it have sharp claws that I corrected with a cutter and repainted after. I also added some touchs of color in eyes and nose holes for correct them, and the result is here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All my bears now:[​IMG]

Bisonfan, TinoPup and Great Argus like this.
  13. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here are some of my favourite models that I have collected over the years from all sorts of different companies (Papo, CollectA, Schliech, Safari, Mojo, Southlands, etc.)
    favourites (living species).png

14. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Nice collection, that includes some of the figures I have and others in my wishlist. Which brand is this tamandua under the Safari sumatran rhino? I rejected the recently retired Mojo tamandua because it's too big for fit my scale tastes, however this one looks like enough small for me compared with nearby figures that I know :)

Three different pangolins in your collection! That denotes a heavy interest in this group :) Did you knew this nice resin model? https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/z8UAAOSwM9xbfOB0/s-l1600.jpg

15. Daubentoniidae

The tamandua is the Mojo one and no I didn't see that pangolin, is it for sale anywhere?

16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Yes it's for sale at many eBay stores, tough is not cheap. Oh, then the Mojo tamandua is smaller than I tough. If it fits well in scale with the Schleich giant anteater, then probably I'll add it to my wishlist! :)

17. Daubentoniidae

That giant anteater is Papo, not Schliech.

18. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I said that if it fits well with Schleich's giant anteater, it will be added to my wishlist. I don't said that your giant anteater is the Schleich's one. But the Schleich's one is the one that I selected for my future collection, so I'm interested in seeing if the tamandua is more or less at same scale.

This one is the Schleich's giant anteater:
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31MwGaIpYiL.jpg

I liked a lot the hair of the tail on this one. However now I see that is not as detailed as I tought initially. So maybe I should change it for the Papo one...

19. Daubentoniidae

Yes I have that one too but I think that the Papo one is better in my opinion.

20. Pacu

Pacu Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Britains ceased production in 1999 but with a reduced number of lines and inferior quality.