Join our zoo community

Miniature Animal Figure Collection

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by ollielloyd, 3 Oct 2009.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Which brand is the Ivory-bill?

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Should be CollectA.

3. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It is CollectA

birdsandbats likes this.
  4. Great Argus

With the arrival of CollectA's Scimitar-horned Oryx yesterday, I believe I have all the oryxes made, and the collection hit 180 models.

20190827_201805.jpg

5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Ohhh, what brand is the beisa oryx to the right end? It's totally unknown for me!

6. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have one too and it's Chap Mei

Great Argus likes this.
  7. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Ah! Chap Mei is still absent in my collection, but sometimes it have magnific sculpted figures.Shame for the gazelle-like horns of the Beisa oryx, but otherwise it looks a very nice figure :)

8. Great Argus

Ah, I'd been trying to find that out! I have their Warthog as well.

@Kakapo, I can upload a better photo if you want!

9. Great Argus

@Kakapo, you may have already looked, but an internet search for "chap mei oryx" turned up a fair few results, including some available for sale.

10. Anteaterman

Anteaterman Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've had a collection for quite a while now, and it has steadily grown over time (I'm hoping to collect more). It will take me a while to count them all, but right now I'd say my collection has over 100-150 animals.

Great Argus likes this.
  11. Great Argus

Nice! Any particular trends like birds, carnivores, hoofed animals, or just adding as particular figures catch your eye?

12. Anteaterman

The majority of my collection consists of hoofed mammals and carnivores, with other types of mammals, birds, and reptiles scattered throughout.

TinoPup, Pleistohorse and Great Argus like this.
  13. Great Argus

Not entirely on topic, but pretty close: does anybody know where to find the retired Schleich trees like these two for at least reasonable prices!? I can find them still, but they're exorbitantly priced! I own the two in the photo, but would like more if I can find them for reasonable.

20190828_212323.jpg

14. Anteaterman

I finally counted all my animal figures, and the total comes up to around 300 figures, give or take a few. The figure brands are mostly Schleich and Safari Ltd, with smaller amounts of animals from brands like CollectA, Mojo, and Papo.

TinoPup and Great Argus like this.
  15. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

My purchases in a couple of shops during my trip to USA :)

Safari LTD:
    [​IMG]
    Shortfin mako shark (Isurus oxyrhynchus). The teeth are soooo well done!

[​IMG]
    White-tip reef shark (Triaenodon obesus). So beautiful!

[​IMG]
    Harp seal (Phoca groenlandica). One of the best seal species! I've repainted it, as originally the dark patches are absolutely silvery instead black.

Safari LTD Good Luck Minis. I've chosen them because they can fit in scale with my bigger animals, something that is hard to find with small vertebrates!

[​IMG]
    Chameleon. With 3,2 cm lenght, I would prefair that it's a medium-big species. Maybe Furcifer pardalis? Toughts and suggestions for bets species match for this chameleon?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bat. 3 cm wingspan, black, with big rounded ears and short muzzle. Best matches? I would prefair to not be a small vesper bat, as the scale fits better with a bigger bat. Maybe a molossid?

Not a new acquisition, but I've included it in my collection just now. From the Colorata Saltwater Fish set, the Skipjack tuna (Katsuwonus pelamis). I've initially rejected it because the unrealistic paint job. Blue ends abruptly at operculum, a series of blue blotches form a line near caudal peduncle, and the black stripes join forming a strange arrowhead pattern.
    In the same shop where I've bough the Minis, I've found a metallic blue permanent marker. I bought this pen only for customize my tuna. (How weird would sound this for a pen seller? :p )

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

I've also painted blue the dorsal fin of my dolphinfish (originally transparent) from the same set, with the same marker. Now I have a much more convincing dolphinfish :)

16. Great Argus

I like those two sharks, they've been on my list. :)

Tuna looks good!

17. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Three new magnific additions thanks to a very nice trade!

1. European Bison aka Wisent, from Bullyland. This figure is retired so it's great to have it before it becomes impossible to get!

[​IMG]

In a Polish temperate forest, a red deer try to tell the bison that it's too close to his female deer herd... the deer don't want intruders here. But the bison just ignorate it and follow his way slowly and peacefully. The deer must wait patiently until the bison is far...
    [​IMG]

2. Adelie Penguin from Kaiyodo, Penguins Lunch set. This piece is fantastic. I's difficult to get a Japanese set figure alone instead of all the figures of the set, that are offered from time to time in Ebay.
    [​IMG]

Adelie penguin knows that elephants seals are just big noisy piles. Altough he knows some of its cousins were rolled by one of these giants, these are rare accidents.
    [​IMG]

But take care my penguin friend... not every pinniped is unworrying!
    [​IMG]

3. And last, the best of all the figures, the superdreamed California Condor from Safari LTD Wings of the World. A retired figure that went impossible to buy online. And now it's finally mine, hanging from a thread over my land mammals!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Anteaterman

Wait, the Condor is retired? Glad I have it in my collection, it's a great figure!

19. Great Argus

It retired a couple years ago now I believe, and are nearly impossible to get now. I'm also lucky enough to have one.

Anteaterman likes this.
  20. Great Argus

@Kakapo I'm curious on Kaiyodo figures, they seem to have pretty obvious lines and usually look rather cheaply put together to me. Your Adelie looks pretty good, do you have any other Kaiyodo figures and how do they look?