Join our zoo community

Miniature Animal Figure Collection

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by ollielloyd, 3 Oct 2009.

1. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This bit on the condor got me wondering about other rarer figures, so I rounded up the ones I consider/know are rare or notable in my collection. Anybody else have these, or seen them around much? Variety of brands represented in the photo. 20190930_193109.jpg

Bisonfan and HungarianBison like this.
  2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Well, I'm unsure of how to interpret this "cheaply put together". My penguin belongs to Penguins Lunch set, that is one of its many Bottlecap Sets. Other bottlecap sets from this brand includes Birdtales brown cap (10 species of native Japanese birds in their nests), Birdtales green cap (random series of freshwater or marsh animals, from birds to crabs, dragonflies, fishes or shrews), Birdtales blue cap (9 Japanese native animals, a horse, a girl and a flower), Hamster's lunch (6 wild species of hamsters), Zoorasia lunch box (9 iconic animals from Zoorasia Yokohama), National Science Museum Ueno (I can't find info about it, but I assume that are animals exhibited in said museum), Jean Henri Fabre Souvenirs Entomologiques (7 French native arthropodos that are important protagonists in the great French naturalist books, plus a figurine of Fabre himself with an entomological trap), and MIU Deep Sea Odyssey 1 (9 abyssal creatures plus 3 deep sea submarines) and Deep Sea Odyssey 2 (9 abyssal creatures, 3 submarines, 3 divers and a
    sperm whale eating giant squid
    )

Appart of bottecap sets, Kaiyodo made an enormous quantity of other series, and many animals belonging to a certain line but not in a series.

I only have three more Kaiyodo figures besides the Adelie penguin. They're:

-the Kaiyodo Wild Rush serval (belonging to Wild Rush series that include also a lion, white rhino, plains zebra and shoebill), a very hard plastic figure, with absolutely perfect painting (usually Japanese figures tend to have more accurate paintjob than western brands, just compare it with the Safari LTD serval...), and very small (fits well in scale with many of the big cats easily available by western brands),

-the Kaiyodo Japanese Natural Treasures, Iriomote cat, that is a composed figure that must be assembled (and my only one of this kind, I don't like these figures tough in this one the seams are almost invisible once joined), and not to scale with the serval (in fact it looks like slightly bigger).

-and the Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey 2 silver chimaera, a perfect hard plastic figure that assembles in a stick (tough I have mine displayed without it).

I think I've already presented all these figures in this thread, but here they go again.

The serval:
    [​IMG]

The Iriomote cat:
    [​IMG]

The chimaera:
    [​IMG]

And now, about the search of "hidden gems" in your collection. Well, you already know about the condor. The Safari LTD malayan tapir is in the same situation, they went retired from the online shop where I tought to buy both at same time, I noticed how hard (or impossible) was to find them online for sale at same time, and I associate strongly the tapir with the condor and the condor with the tapir for these reasons. I'm strill struggling for get this tapir (that I find as the best malayan tapir in figurine world, better than Papo's and FAR better than Schleich's), but the condor is finally in my hands!

The Safari LTD giant anteater with pup was retired in 2011. The Papo Atlantic puffin was retired just this year, 2019. The Schleich's ostrich chick was retired in 2013. For the adult ostrich, there are soooooo many brands producing this species that I will not search which one is yours hehe. I can't find nowhere a sloth like yours. Mojo Fun tamandua was retired in 2018. Schleich's grey-headed flying fox (I think that this is your figure?) was retired in 2017. Schleich's griffon vulture was retired in 2016. Safari LTD's greater roadrunner was retired in 2016. About the Chap Mei's figures (gemsbok and warthog) I can't find nothing about the date of production or ceasing of this (more obscure) brand. All the other figures in your collection are still in production.

So, speaking stadistically, the giant anteater is your rarest gem as is the one that was retired earliest.

TinoPup and Great Argus like this.
  3. Great Argus

By cheaply put together, I mean the lines look more like individual pieces have been put together and sometimes don't fit super well. For example the noticeable lines on the serval's hind quarters and the front legs. I know all figures have lines, but Kaiyodo's seem to be rather noticeable comparatively. Makes them look tacky to me I guess, so I was wondering whether they were actually that noticeable on the actual figures rather than accented in the pictures. Seems to vary with the figure looking at your three.

Interesting information on the figures, some of those retired more recently than I thought! The tapir is a difficult one indeed, I have occasionally looked just out of curiosity, and only once in the last 3 years have I seen the figure available, and it was for a hefty price! Not even Ebay has produced one, and usually most figures can be found there.
    The ostrich is Safari LTD, retired several years ago now I believe. Also one I've never seen again.
    I'm aware several of those are still in production, though here in the US CollectA can be rather pricey to get ahold of! Most of mine have come overseas from Korea.

I do have several other retired Safari LTD figures but overall I think they're more common. Except for the walking Cheetah instead of their current running one, I still consider the walking one the best Cheetah figure I've seen.

4. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Ahhh! I misunderstood completely! I believed you meant different figures cheaply put together (so, with figures in a same set that dont's "belong" to this set), instead of pieces on a single figure. Yes I agree in that, but it depends on the figure. In the serval the seams are very noticeable, but penguin and chimarea don't have seams. But you're right. Seams are a typical characteristic of many Kaiyodo figures. Just yesterday I saw a collector that offers the Kaiyodo capsule Black-faced Spoonbill, but I decided not to buy it because the very noticeable seam of the chest.

Oh yes, thanks to your info I've found that ostrich. Sculpted by Doug Watson, it have a base on the right fot, but the left foot is free. It's also retired, in 2016 (same year than the condor and tapir).

Yes, the Hong Kong-based brand Collecta is easier to get in Europe than in America! However, is Schleich who dominates the market, sadly (and I say sadly because it generally have not so exciting species and not so well done figures as CollectA).

There are many cheetah figures, the one in my collection is the Schleich's female cheetah produced from 2016. It's perfect in sculpture, tough it have some small flares in paintjob (but easy to correct, which I did). It's difficult for me to choose between this one or the Papo's cheetah produced from 2004 as the best cheetah figure. I've seen the last one in the home of a friend and it's impressive. The Papo's running cheetah is also a good one, and if you don't care the scale, the Colorata Wild Cats running cheetah is also superb. Anyway I strongly disagree that the Safari's cheetahs, both the running one and the walking one (both still in production) or the walking one retired in 2011, are the best of its kind. But maybe this is just a question of tastes. I look just for realism of the figure, you maybe look for dynamism or other traits :)

5. Great Argus

That's ok, I realized it hadn't come across right so I clarified! Interesting it varies that much, I may have to start watching for some better Kaiyodo! I haven't seen that one, I have CollectA's which is excellent, but much too big for your preference I imagine! (It's in the photo actually)

Didn't realize both the Ostrich and tapir retired that recently! They certainly vanish after they retire...

Funny you bring up Schleich as the primary in Europe, correct me if I'm wrong but they seem to be phasing out their wildlife and going more into fantasy and licensed collectibles? I didn't see any new wildlife figures for this next year when I looked recently... a couple dinosaurs and horses but that was it as far as animals.

I will readily agree Papo's Cheetahs are quite good, as are their entire line. Only disappointment I've had from them was the Black-browed Albatross. I think perhaps it is a question of taste, but that's ok! I do look for realism as well, I won't touch Wild Republic because of that, their paint jobs aren't good! Same with another brand I've seen around but forgetting at present. Though unlike you I'm not as particular about size. But each to his own, the collection is supposed to be for our enjoyment isn't it? :)

6. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Yes, I know the CollectA's black faced spoonbill, but as you guessed, it's ginormous for me. The Kaiyodo one have the perfect size, but also the seams...

Well, Schleich (as many other brands) have extensive lines from non wild-animal figures. They have many farm animals, dinosaurs and fantasy figures. But as I don't ever look at these kind of figures, I rarely notice if they're becoming trend or not! :p

New Schleich figures for 2020 includes a lot of horses and some dinosaurs, yes... but also a giant tortoise, hippopotamus calf, dromedary, red panda, hammerhead shark, killer whale calf, reindeer, snow leopard, and the most interesting: a wombat.

What disappoints you in the Papo albatross? I see it as very well made!

7. Great Argus

Where did you find that? I haven't seen those, despite looking.

Do you have one? Mine is pretty flimsy, the bill is extra long, and the paint job is only ok.

8. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Here:
    Schleich 2020 New Releases

No, I don't have any albatross because I'm not sure if the scale are correct for me. But I judge only from the photographs I see in the net.

9. Great Argus

Ah, excellent! Thanks! Those wildlife figures are mostly pretty good, not sure on the Snow Leopard's pattern though.

Well, here:
    20191002_204210.jpg

I was rather disappointed in the face patterning. Was also expecting a slightly larger figure.

10. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Yes, big cat patterns are a flare in every big brand. They must be, as they need to be simplistic if they want to produce quickly a massive release. Even the most accurate models from big brands tend to be not exact, such as the new CollectA's leopard... is fine, enough good for be included in my collection, but that's not a leopard skin.
    Snow leopard particularly is a species that no brand in the world did with a good pattern. It's surprising to see the enormous variety of different models of snow leopards over the world, and none of them with a totally realistic pattern. From promo images, the best one by far is the Papo. That made me buy it. But once in my hands... it was absolutely different from promo images. I've repainted it and now is... not perfect but fine.
    AAA
    Bullyland
    Chap Mei (I know, it's a caracal with long tail painted as snow leopard... but it was marketed as a snow leopard!)
    Colorata
    CollectA
    The Golden Compass
    K & M
    Wild Republic
    (another) Wild Republic
    Noah's Pals
    Open Toys
    Papo (this is what you will receive, and not the beautiful paintjob of the promo picture. Still the best sculpted one at least)
    Play Visions
    Safari LTD
    (another) Safari LTD
    (toob) Safari LTD
    Wildlife Artists (maybe the best painted one tough the black circles are too neat and the grey is too uniform... but the pattern is accurate)
    Yowies

Ah yes, I see what you mean about the albatross. This is just the same that big cat patterns. They must be painted quickly for massive production. A simple black line over the eye is much easier than the triangular shade of the species. The same goes for the red tip of the bill. Comparing with your fingers, I think that I love its size, tough. None albatross went to my collection yet because I fear they're all too big. But yours looks a nice scale match with most big mammals :)
    e.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2019
    TinoPup and Great Argus like this.
  11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I have the Giant Anteater.

Great Argus likes this.
  12. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

I would be interested to know which current brand members think is best, overall.

As a retailer, we have shelf-space for the range of only one supplier. Historically we stocked Schleich, but the company is difficult to deal with, with many delivery problems. For the last two years we have stocked Papo but their supply is getting patchy and the scale of their current range is odd. We had samples sent from Safari and Southlands earlier in the year, but didn't decide to go with either, as Safari have no UK supply chain and Southlands were lovely, but too expensive and too small...
    Our sales are to a mixture of collectors and the public wanting a nice product relevant to our animal collection.
    Do we stick with Papo for 2020? - or is there a better choice?

13. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

You're ignoring CollectA and Mojo Fun, or just forgotten them?
    I would love to buy in a shop that have a mixture of CollectA, Papo, Safari, Mojo and Southlands (and maybe some Bullyland, Maia & Borges, etc). Well, every stationery and store here have a mix of brands. Some of them in a space not larger than a paper, others in the whole shop. Anyway, space is an issue for the number of figures displayed, but not for the mixing of brands.
    Only the bigger shops here in Spain have only one brand. A shop specialized in pet supplies have only CollectA, while a famous commercial center brand a famous toy shop brand have only Schleich. But small shops always have a mix of brands.

14. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

No, we've not forgotten the others. All of these are premium products with expensive sale prices and very limited demand from the general visitor. For example, the Papo we currently stock (the only maker we sell currently) represents less than 1% of our shops turn-over. For that reason, as I mentioned, we can only stock one manufacturer.

15. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Yesterday I went to a toy shop that I never have been in before. Here I bought these figures:

1. The babirusa (Babyrousa babyrussa). There are two babirusas in the current market, this one from CollectA and other from Safari. I find the CollectA one much better. Also my first figure of the pig family :)
    [​IMG]

In a clearing of the forest of Sulawesi jungle, two mysterious creatures share with joy the fallen fruits of some exotic tree...
    [​IMG]

2. The white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus). This time, the CollectA and the Safari counterparts are equally excellent. There is a third figure in the market for this species, the Schleich's, that I find just ugly, especially those horns.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are all my deers now. All CollectA's, since this brand is the best one with hoofstock undoubtely.
    [​IMG]

3. The Himalayan tahr (Hemitragus jemlahicus). Another species that I have a special fondness for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Himalayan Encounters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

And now... the most special figure of my collection.
    With the three figures of yesterday my collection reached 99 figures. I wanted that the number 100 was something very special.
    And what's more special than my first homemade model?

Well, it could be better. It's full of bumps and fingerprints, sadly. The caudal fin is ugly, and the spriacle is not centered. A flipper bended while baking. But anyway the figure is enough nice for be displayed. I'm not exactly very proud of my homemade Dall's Porpoise done today, but it's my first and I like it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Justanotherzoovisitor

Justanotherzoovisitor Member 5+ year member

s
    Well for me living in northern Europe Schleich is available in every major toy store and all other brands are considerably rare, there is one store selling Papo but apart from that only Schleich. Anyways Collecta and Safari appears to be the best to me

18. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Sorry but yesterday I was in modelmaker fever mood! :p :p I baked four more species in the evening and painted today in the morning :)

See needle for size comparison. Notice that the butterfly wings are made from a Collecta tag :D
    [​IMG]

Ornate butterflyfish, Chaetodon ornatissimus. Butterflyfishes are some of my favourite fishes and this species is one of the nicest. I didn't intended that the center of gravity went to the head, but it's fine, then it looks like the fish is feeding.
    [​IMG]

Fea's viper, Azemiops feae. Maybe the most beautiful viper in the world? Safari LTD Good Luck Minis chameleon behind.
    [​IMG]

Maybe my most ambitious creature. And also one I've planned to do since begin with the idea of homemade models, months before buying the materials for the real start. Rajah Brooke's birdwing, Trogonoptera brookiana. One of the few insects enough large for make it more or less to scale with my bigger animals, and the first arthropod of my collection. The body, legs an antennae are baked but of course the wings, made of plastified paper?, can't be heated. So I made the body and legs (difficult task, as they're really thin), put a tinfoil ball under for avoid deformation during baking (well, the antennae went downwards, but the body stands on its legs that is what I wanted), and once baked, I glued the wings themselves in the natural position of the species, leaving a hollow for attach after to the body, and once dry I glued the wing conjunct to the body. Naturally, while the glue is fresh one wing side went down to the surface , so I've put a thin object under so both pairs of wings are at the same level and both separated from the surface under.
    [​IMG]

And finally, one of the most beautiful of all the waterfowl: the African pygmy goose, Nettapus auritus. Takara Tomy crested ibis and Kaiyodo Adelie penguin behind. Slowly my mammal-dominated collection starts to have some nice birds.
    [​IMG]

19. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Once started, I can't stop....! Like in the previous day, I've sculpted and baked yesterday and painted today in the early morning :)

Just out of the oven
    [​IMG]

1. Giant freshwater stingray, Himantura chaophraya (now Himantura polylepis I think, but I'm too used to the old and suggestive name!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now a travel to South America!
    2. Pacarana, Dinomys branickii.
    [​IMG]

3. Blue-throated macaw, Ara glaucogularis.
    [​IMG]

And by last:
    4. Jabiru (Jabiru mycteria).
    [​IMG]

20. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

These was modeled on 23-24th, baken on 24th (yesterday), and all but one painted yesterday, the cat was painted today.

With my enthusiasm for start I've forgot to take the picture of the just-baked models before painting. So one of them has already began to be painted :p
    [​IMG]

1. Olm (Proteus anguinus). A collector friend told me that he was surprised because I still didn't included any amphibian in my homemade collection. So I've done this for him hehe
    [​IMG]

It has been a hard work, because it's tiny! Attaching the legs to the body, and then the toes to the legs, it's more difficult than it seems :p See hazelnut for size comparison:
    [​IMG]

2. Annamite striped rabbit (Nesolagus timminsi). My most favourite lagomorph since ever!
    [​IMG]

3. Jame's flamingo (Phoenicoparrus jamesi). Without doubt the best flamingo species
    [​IMG]

4. Bornean bay cat (Catopuma badia). It intended to be first a marbled cat, but I realized that I've made too big for that. So I've chosed a bigger cat species :D
    [​IMG]

And here with assorted cats from big brands for comparison :D
    [​IMG]

5. And finally, what I consider as my masterpiece!
    Jentink's duiker (Cephalophus jentinki). Originally intended to be a zebra duiker, but as in the cat, I've made too big for that. I'm not good calculating sizes! So I've chosen a bigger duiker species, and this couple of species are my favourite duikers, so the choosing is easy.
    This piece resulted in a challenge. After finishing the general shape, I had the idea of doing it with a foreleg lifted. My idea was baking with a tinfoil support around belly and sides that make it to be enough elevated for allow the three hooves reach the soil. Legs don't have wire inside (I prefair to not use wire when appendix are thin, as it's more difficult to sculpt around it), so the figure can't stand before baking. But making a perfectly-matching tinfoil structure was impossible! No matter how many times I reshaped it: the figure went forwards, backwards or to one side always. So I've decided to risk and bake it lying on a side! This is risky, because legs can bend during baking, and also the surface in contact with the oven plate can leave a flat marking. But it worked!!!!! The figure can stand perfectly leveled with the three hooves touching the ground (tough it have a little stability problem: the least touch is enough for make it fall sideways!). And no marks appeared in the surface in contact with the oven plate.

For that I've decided to not make a fur sculpture, because this species fur is very short, silky, like the one of an okapi. So it's more realistic if I din't sculpt the hair (and also much more easier to do hehe)

Honestly, I'm very pround of this one. The strange facial sculpture of this species, that looks like to have the skin too small for it's skull and bony ridges apear around eyes and nearby, was made with precission. The shape of the lips, the facial glands, the horns... I've realized it with enough acurateness. In the real figure is easier to see than in pictures. But well, here is it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here my Congo Basin faunistic collection starts to grow a little! Welcome to the family little duiker! (Schleich mandrill and Papo okapi)
    [​IMG]