Join our zoo community

Miniature Animal Figure Collection

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by ollielloyd, 3 Oct 2009.

1. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

4. Another new brand for me: Science & Nature's wegde-tailed eagle (Aquila audax). There are two wegdies in the market, the other being the Southland's. I went with S&N figure.
    [​IMG]

It's overall a good figure. Colours are very realistic, and it's well shaped. Maybe the worst thing are the tertial/scapular feathers forming a species of "ladder" over the tail. Too symmetric, too well arranged. Of course, the bill and claws are very thick-rounded for safety reasons.
    [​IMG]

Of course I also retouched a bit this one. I painted more accurately the feathering over the cere of the bill, corrected both eyes (the right one sligthly over the correct place, the left one slightly under the correct place), sharpened the bill and painted black on the bill. I also deleted the unaesthetical white rays that pretend to imitate the canyons of the back feathers. I left the feet untouched. Probably, once I get the correct modelling clay, I will turn the current claws into toe tips and add sharp curved claws with the paste.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

5. Common warthog (Phacochoerus africanus). The last of my PNSO's figures, Faraji the Warthog. It have various features that made it better than other warthog figures in various senses:
    -It's not so oversized
    -It have a much more dynamic pose, trotting gently and with the tail upright as in a real warthog
    -It have much thinner legs, tusks, and tail, making it much more realistic
    -It have a deeply wrinkled skin

However it also have some issues, and especially noticeable is the lack of detail in the sculpt. The joints and lines are always blurred or absent, such as in the lips, the lack of hair on the tail tuft (it's just a plain paddle), and overall in the hooves (not only badly differenciated from the legs, but also undivided in the middle). However, this issue is really minor compared with the forementioned improvements.
    [​IMG]

The paintjob is not perfect. The pig is very brownish, and the eyes are just black dots painted out of place. I tried to correct both things making a bit greyer, as if it had a dirt bath, and correcting the eyes. Probably I should improve my own work with the grey. I find it a bit bad. I've also painted black the hooves and the tail tuft.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

6. Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus) from Southland Replicas. I think is the most perfect figure of all these purchases. It's my second Southlands and I see that this brand put extreme care in the detail both in the sculpt and the paintjob. It's the only of the many platypus in the trade that have a correct size for my collection. All the others are enormous. This tiny figure is extremely detailed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here with other monotremate and at the moment my only other Southland figure:
    [​IMG]

2. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

:):) amazing!!

3. Jungle Man

Sadly I have no animal figures.

4. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

It's never too late for start :)

Some latest additions from my favourite toy shop :)

1. The dugong (Dugong dugon)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2) The Galapagos giant tortoise (Geochelone nigra).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. The Grevy's zebra (Equus grevyi):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4) the bongo (Tragelaphus eurycerus)
    [​IMG]

Zebra and bongo will be repainted soon :p

5. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very nice @Kakapo! I have the three mammals as well, they're quite nice! :)

6. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Who makes the bongo?

7. Great Argus

That would be CollectA. :)

8. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

All my last additions are CollectA, from a toy shop that sell no other brands.

Great Argus likes this.
  9. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Customized bongo and Grevy's zebra:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How many figures do you now have in total?

Would it be possible to take photos of them in groups arranged geographically? It would be great to see the variety in your collection, as it seems you are a long-time collector and painter (or maybe you are a natural talent, or both? :))

Jungle Man likes this.
  11. Jungle Man

Yes,@Kakapo it would be great to admire your entire collection.

amur leopard likes this.
  12. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Dear Amur Leopard,
    I have now 202 figures, each one from a different species.
    That's an enough big number for make it difficult to arrange all them in a different way than the one used to display, that is taxonomical.
    In fact, the own idea of a geographic arrangement would be difficult. Where would you put a common wolf? They're in all the Holarctic... and in the whoe world if we count domestic dogs as them. Would count my Iberian lynx and my olm as "same category" because both are European, despite being endemic of two extremely far zones and in completely different biotopes? Or in the same way, would my Mountain Goat go together with my California Condor despite the range of both species not overlapping? If I would had a white-faced whistling duck, it would be in Africa or in South America? Would a cougar be North American, Central American, South American or what? The thing will be much more complicated with sealife. Would my polar bear go with my bowhead whale despite one being terrestrial and the other marine? In which latitude and which ocean put I my killer whale? Etc...

Maybe you could, instead, suggest a kind of geographical area, and then I could show some animals from that area. Tough, this is what I usually already did always which each new figure along this thread.

I'm actually not a long-time collector, I acquired my first figure in 2016 and started to grow a collection of them since 2018. The first completely repainted model was in june 2018, a Schleich seal transofrmed into a ribbon seal, but at this time I had no acrylic paints, and I only can did poor attempts with aquarell pencils. The homemade models started in october 2019 and the acrylic paints came with them.

However, it's true that I have what could be called a "natural talent", resumed in an overhelming passion for biodiversity (probably much bigger even than in the average zoochatter, at least in some senses), since newborn.

13. Jungle Man

You could try with:
    Central African Rainforest
    African Savannah
    South American Rainforest
    Temperate Europe
    Desert Zone (If you have any animal that lives in this biome around the world you could include it here)
    North American Grasslands
    Arctic and Anctarctica
    Australian Outback
    Asian Jungle

14. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Ah, OK. I selected my figures for the Central African rainforest but I've realized that now I have my camera in my parent's house. Spain is in quarantine and I can't visit my parents for now.

Here is a list of what I could include in each category, and once all this crysis passed away I can take photos of each group.

Central African Rainforest: bongo, okapi, pygmy hippopotamus, red river hog, mandrill, drill, Diana monkey, zebra duiker, Jentink's duiker, giant pangolin, white-necked rockfowl, standard-winged nightjar, common Goliath beetle, pied bat

African Savannah: gemsbok, cheetah, giraffe, giant eland, white-tailed wildebeest, black rhinoceros, serval, quagga, African buffalo, springbok, vulturine guineafowl, black-backed jackal, white rhinoceros, superb starling, common warthog

South American rainforest: jaguar, lowland tapir, ocelot, pacarana, blue-throated macaw, giant armadillo, silky anteater, yapok. striped owl, flag-tailed characin

Temperate Europe: red deer, European bison, European hamster, marbled polecat, wallcreeper, red-necked goose, common wild boar, common fallow deer, common goldfinch

Desert zone: African wild ass, fennec fox, striped hyena, California condor, barbary sheep, dama gazelle, ringtail

North American grasslands: white-tailed deer, grey fox, pronghorn

Arctic and Antarctica: leopard seal, killer whale, bowhead whale, ribbon seal, polar bear, musk ox, southern elephant seal, colossal squid, reindeer, chinstrap penguin, harp seal, Adelie's penguin, gyrfalcon, Arctic fox, beluga

Australian Outback: leatherback turtle, quokka, short-beaked echidna, common wombat, marsupial wolf, red-necked avocet, Tasmanian devil, numbat, flame bowerbird, red kangaroo, wedge-tailed eagle, platypus, dugong

Asian Jungle: Sumatran rhinoceros, saola, Sulawesi black macaque, sun bear, tiger, babirusa, Rajah Brooke's birdwing, Fea's viper, bay cat, Annamite striped rabbit, helmeted hornbill, Prevost's squirrel, wild water buffalo, red-shanked douc langur, Bulwer's pheasant, maleo, red-headed partridge, Russell's viper, marbled cat

Common leopard could go into either Central African rainforest or Asian Jungle, to your choose :p

15. Jungle Man

Amazing!!! That's a lot of figures,are you planning to acquire more?
    Also, I didn't remember you also had fish and sharks so another biome would be the ocean.
    The common Leopard should be in the middle of both biomes.

16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Sure, I didn't stopped to acquire figures very frequently since 2018 :) Just before all this coronavirus thing, I've started the tramits for get a bunch of Japanese figures. Sadly, probably I must wait a lot to all calmed down before getting these Japanese figures...
    Yes of course I have fishes, sharks and other aquatic creatures, both freshwater, littoral and oceanic.

Jungle Man likes this.
  17. Jungle Man

Coronavirus has affected life all around the world. Spain is under lockdown,right? Probably when this ends you could get you figures easily.

18. Great Argus

I've been busy taking some cool photos of some of my figures in my yard today, would you guys like to see some later?

Yoshistar888, TinoPup and Jungle Man like this.
  19. Jungle Man

Of course yeah, Great Argus!!!

Yoshistar888 likes this.
  20. Great Argus

Some favorites of the ones I took today! I actually took a lot of these today, I think about 40 of my figures! :)

20200320_192310.jpg 20200320_163315.jpg 20200320_161554.jpg 20200320_154959.jpg 20200320_153858.jpg 20200320_150940.jpg 20200320_150519.jpg 20200320_145733.jpg 20200320_144144.jpg 20200320_143459.jpg