Join our zoo community

Miniature Animal Figure Collection

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by ollielloyd, 3 Oct 2009.

1. Bisonfan

Bisonfan Well-Known Member

here is my collection

[​IMG]

2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Sadly I only see a red cross :(

Bisonfan likes this.
  3. Bisonfan

Oh no! i'll try again in a bit. but i counted them and i have 160

4. Bisonfan

here, its not a great picture but it shows you just how crowded it is (i will try to get a better picture)
    [​IMG]

5. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe I'll figure out how to take a photo of my full collection since a few people have shown theirs! :p

6. Bisonfan

i would like that:)

7. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I see that I'm not the only one with overcrowding, heheh
    The image may be not enough for appreciate the figures individually, but many are recognizable and the effect is nice :) I see a very strong predominance of Schleich in your collection :)

What kind of animal is the big black cylinder in the right corner? :D

@Great Argus I also would love to see yours!

Bisonfan likes this.
  8. Great Argus

So uh, these show my overcrowding problem haha; I realize they don't show individual figures as well, if you'd like me to break them up into groups for a better look just ask!

20220117_233119.jpg
    20220117_233648.jpg

(I should perhaps also note this doesn't include various accessories like trees and fences, or my 400+ minifigures... or the ones I made... yeah I'm a little bit of a collector haha :D)

9. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My collection lives at my workplace. It started out as a few figures I liked and has continued to grow into what I can now call a collection. A bit more humble than the ones shown, but it makes me happy while I'm at work.

IMG_5829.JPG.jpg

baboon, CMP, Pleistohorse and 8 others like this.
  10. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Very nice to see your collections! Great Argus, certainly the details cannot be well seen in your first photo, but still many figures are recognizable! Your collection is not so overcrowded, just compacted to one side of the table hehe. I see you don't mind to repeat some models, such as the peacock and the Schleich gemsboks :) I need to put my hands on that grey whale some day!

Ituri, your collection is quite beautiful and in fact is more eye-pleasant than a giant bunch of models. This way the individual figures can be better appreciated in the whole collection, and not only in a photo but also in real by any visit :) I'm glad your boss let you to have this decoration at your workplace! I see a strong taste for CollectA and Safari, just like in my collection!

Bisonfan likes this.
  11. Great Argus

It's pretty overcrowded haha, that first "table" is a 5 foot long fish tank hood. Especially considering a lot of the birds are stacked on top of others, as are primates.
    And no I don't mind occasional doubles, some of them have been gifts, others like the two Safari flamingos multiple rather made sense.
    Yes Mojo's Grey Whale is quite nice, very large and heavy too! My only heavier figure is Safari's Right Whale.

Bisonfan likes this.
  12. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have acquired the Southlands Replicas dingo, southern hairy-nosed wombat, mountain brushtail possum, tiger quoll, short-beaked echidna, perentie, and Lumholtz's tree kangaroo. They are fantastic figures.

13. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Big congrats for acquiring the best pieces from a vanished brand, before these turn impossible to find for sale! I have most of them and your choices are some of the best from Southlands.

Ebirah766 and Austin the Sengi like this.
  14. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you, I had learned my lesson after the Virginia opossum debacle, and decided I should acquire some of these figures as I had had my eye on them for a long time.

15. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Bought yesterday this masterpiece that now I can delete from my wishlist.
    [​IMG]

The head inclined aside gives the manatee an inquisitive looking and make it much more dynamic when viewed from front. Well done, Schleich! :)
    [​IMG]

The attention of the detail is exquisite. Genital slit is included and very well done.
    [​IMG]

Time to release it in the water:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now the comparison pals:

[​IMG]

I know that actually is a Caribbean manatee, but if every zoo displays this species in Amazonian exhibits mixed with pacus, arapaimas and motoro stingrays, then why not do the same with figurines, hehe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PaulaKoala, CMP, Platypusboy and 9 others like this.
  16. Great Argus

Finally got around to taking photos of the batch of figures that arrived a few days ago, mostly CollectA with two exceptions. :)
    I'm quite pleased with them, the wallaby isn't the greatest figure but I like the species and it's reasonably well done. The CollectA Nautilus is quite large comparatively, which I was aware of, but I quite like it anyways. Maybe eventually I'll get a smaller one more in line with my fish figures.
    (And I think I'm still one ahead of you Kakapo! :D)

20220206_162215.jpg 20220206_162346.jpg 20220206_162645.jpg 20220206_162824.jpg 20220206_163527.jpg 20220206_163652.jpg 20220206_164239.jpg 20220206_171830.jpg 20220206_172024.jpg 20220207_035833.jpg

PaulaKoala, CMP, Junklekitteb and 7 others like this.
  17. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Great additions and very matching habitat backgrounds for each species! I have most of your CollectAs, except the porcupine that is not of my taste and of course the nautilus, I went with Kaiyodo one instead that is much smaller but I wish it would be even smaller for fit better my other cephalopods and marine life. The habitat of nautilus is very well done, I love the blue light that make appear that the photo was taken in a dark aquarium as the ones used for these deep water creatures in public aquariums :)
    I was happy when I knew that Science and Nature was about to release a smaller version of its yellow-footed rock wallaby, but once I saw the result in promo images, well the size is now perfect but the sculpt is much worst than the original "big-sized" one.

Great Argus likes this.
  18. Great Argus

Yeah, I was back and forth between the two. I ended up choosing the smaller one after roughly figuring the large one would be nearly the size of my red and gray kangaroos. I'm not super picky on size, but that just seemed a bit too large comparatively for my taste.

19. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

If your grey kangaroo is the Southlands, I think the S&N rock wallaby is even larger! :)

Great Argus likes this.
  20. Great Argus

It is, yes. That's roughly what I was figuring looking at the dimensions of the large rock wallaby, at which point I opted for the smaller one!