Join our zoo community

Miniature Animal Figure Collection

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by ollielloyd, 3 Oct 2009.

1. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

In a complicated way! Contacting a person whose business is to get Japanese figurines unavailable outside Japan for foreing customers for a small additional fee :)

But you also can buy them directly in eBay sometimes, either as entire sets or some of the individual figures.

ZooBinh likes this.
  2. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you know the companies?

3. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Ah yes, all the figures are from the Ikimon-Kitan Club-Nature Techni colour (difficult to tell which of the three is the name of the company, but all are the same), from Deep Sea Set 1 (Indonesian coelacanth and oarfish, also the frilled shark shown before in this thread, plus dumbo octopus, salp with salp-eating amphipod inside, giant ostracod and two versions of scale-footed snail) and Deep Sea Set 2 (colossal squid and opah, plus giant isopod, Indonesian coelacanth and the same ostracod/snails/octopus than set 1).
    All the figures are keychains (except the darker version of scale-footed snail, that is a magnet) and you may want remove the stringballs for display them as figures, as I did.

You can find in eBay the oarfish , opah , Comores coelacanth (and Indonesian too), and colossal squid, as well as a blind box of the entire Set 2 where you pay for a surprise figure at much cheaper price, but without the possibility of choosing. The entire set 1 is also available for purchase at much cheaper price per figure than the individual figures, but it don't worth if you don't want the invertebrates.

4. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Last addition: nothing less than a Tibetan fox (Vulpes ferrilata) :D:rolleyes: It's the first no-brand figure on my collection. A dreamed species and one that I knew about just here in Zoochat! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

twilighter, Brum, TinoPup and 4 others like this.
  5. Ding Lingwei

Ding Lingwei Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Actually this figure belongs to the "Naturally Adorkable" series released by Natural History (a popular Chinese magazine ) as peripheral products. Series I includes Bengal slow loris, red panda, Asian black bear and Pallas's cat. Series II includes long-eared hedgehog, Himalayan marmot, Tibetan fox and Chinese pangolin.

6. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Oh! Thanks! Then the brand would be "Natural History"? I knew the other figures, but I didn't knew that they belong to two different sets. All the figures are too big for me except the fox that fits well with my other canids (and the bear that is too small)

7. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Latest additions! Not very obscure species this time, but very beautiful models :)

(repainted) Iberian Lynx (Lynx pardinus), Mojö Fun
    [​IMG]

Celebes Crested Macaque (Macaca nigra), Mojö Fun
    Macaco2.jpg

(repainted) Quagga (Equus quagga quagga), Mojö Fun
    Quaga5.jpg

Sun Bear (Helarctos malayanus), Mojö Fun
    [​IMG]

Asian Black Bear (Ursus thibetanus), Bullyland
    [​IMG]

8. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

My latest additions. Like the previous ones, I bought it for being retired figures or in danger of disappearing from online shops soon. The bad thing is that Customs charged me 25€ more!!!!! o_O

African buffalo (Syncerus caffer), Mojö Fun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gaur (Bos gaurus), Mojö Fun. Glittering! :confused:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lowland tapir (Tapirus terrestris), Mojö Fun. A bit too small, but so perfect!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And by last, Ocelot (Leopardus pardalis), Papo. Very big, but nice!
    [​IMG]

9. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

New bunch! I must buy a new house soon for hold all my animals before they kick me off of my living room, hahaha.

Mountain Goat (Oreamnos americanus) by CollectA. Not a figure that I'm enthusiastic about, the animal is very fat, the fur is very woolly and undetailed, and the coat is not white, but with dirty zones. However the head is very well done and the species is one that I like a lot. Not a bad figure anyway.
    [​IMG]

The next two figures are from CBIOV, a Chinese brand not available for Europeans. It's not a major brand and I'm not aware of more animal figures from it than these two. I've got mines via TaoBao, a Chinese version of eBay that allows non-Chinese buyers access to Chinese market.

Takin (Budorcas taxicolor), from the Sichuan subspecies (B. taxicolor tibetana). The same brand also produces golden takin (B. taxicolor bedfordi), that is just the same figure with a different coat. Superbly well done and a species that none major brand did. The other takin available in the trade is the too small and very expensive (but also increcibly well done) from Anna Dobrowolska.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And by last, Finless porpoise (Neophocaena phocaenoides), representing Yangtze River population of asiaeorientalis subspecies. It forms part of a set where you can buy this one (the male, with open mouth), a female with calf, the three figures, or the three figures plus a displaying case. Logically, the alone male is the cheaper option so I bought it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bisonfan and TinoPup like this.
  10. ZooBinh

This week I acquired for myself two Southern Cassowary and two Vaquitas from Safari LTD.

Great Argus likes this.
  11. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Congrats! The Safari LTD's cassowary is very good. I'm in doubt about buy this one or the equally good CollectA's cassowary.

ZooBinh likes this.
  12. ZooBinh

Get one of both :p! It'll introduce new genes :p!

13. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My most recent additions from the other day, both from Safari Ltd. Goliath Grouper and Tiger Shark. Quite happy with both, especially that the grouper stands upright well. The shark could be slightly better painted on the side of the face visible in the photo, but otherwise quite good. 20190403_175454.jpg

Bisonfan, ZooBinh and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  14. ZooBinh

How big are the figurines, I'm a bit interested in the grouper.

15. Great Argus

Here you are! My hand is approximately 7.5 inches (19 centimeters) from center fingertip to the bottom of the palm as size reference. Grouper is roughly 6 inches and shark is about 8.

20190403_195726.jpg
    20190403_195701.jpg

Bisonfan and ZooBinh like this.
  16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Nice additions, Great Argus!

And for me, here comes my last, also fishy addition! I stopped getting new items for the moment :D I must recover a bit financially first! :p

Kaiyodo, Deep Sea series, Silver Chimaera (Chimaera phantasma), spectacular and totally perfect! :D
    P1230752.jpg

17. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

After long time without additions, yesterday I passed to a shop and found one of the figures of my wishlist: the CollectA's springbok (Antidorcas marsupialis).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bisonfan, TinoPup and Great Argus like this.
  18. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

New bunch of additions. The set of Colorata Saltwater Fishes arrived to me.
    [​IMG]

It includes:

Spiny red gurnard (Chelidonichthys spinosus)
    [​IMG]

Pacific saury (Cololabis saira)
    [​IMG]

Japanese flying fish (Cypselurus agoo)
    [​IMG]

Oceanic sunfish (Mola mola)
    [​IMG]

Spotted jellyfish (Mastigias papua) (was just a complement for the sunfish)
    [​IMG]

Bastard halibut (Paralichthys olivaceus)
    [​IMG]

Pacific sardine (Sardinops sagax)
    [​IMG]

Chub mackerel (Scomber japonicus)
    [​IMG]

False kelpfish (Sebastiscus marmoratus)
    [​IMG]

Striped marlin (Tetrapturus audax)
    [​IMG]

Bluefin tuna (Thunnus thynnus)
    [​IMG]

Japanese horse mackerel (Trachurus japonicus)
    [​IMG]

Plus 4 more species that I find unsatisfactory as models and I will not include in my collection (Coryphaena hippurus, Katsuwonus pelamis, Pagrus major and Takifugu rubripes)

TinoPup, Great Argus and ZooBinh like this.
  19. Great Argus

I like the marlin and tuna, where did you get these?

20. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

by eBay. You must buy the whole set - or buy the separate figures at a much more expensive price for figure.

Great Argus likes this.