Join our zoo community

Minor News from Australian Zoos 2017

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 11 Jan 2017.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Australia Zoo:

Australia Zoo are running a competition to name their new cheetah cub. People can enter by subscribing to their 'CRIKEY' magazine by 1 March 2017:

Australia Zoo (@AustraliaZoo) | Twitter

Get Involved With Wildlife Rescue at Australia Zoo

Perth Zoo:

Article on Sean (formerly named Suki), who was rescued from outside a shop in Cambodia in 1997 and sent to Perth Zoo along with two female bears in 1998. They were all eventually dispersed to other zoos in the region and Perth Zoo received a new pair for breeding:

Wellington Zoo Sun Bear Sean rescued 20 years ago today | Scoop News

Perth Zoo running exercise classes to support Sumatran Elephant conservation:

Exercise for Elephants | Perth Zoo

*The following animals are currently off display: Pygmy Marmoset, Forest Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, Carnaby's Cockatoo, Baudin's Cockatoo

Melbourne Zoo:

Article on the labelling of products containing palm oil:

For Transparency, Fairness, and Health, it's Time to Label | Zoos Victoria

Awareness article on the effects of balloons and their associated attachments to Australia’s marine wildlife, especially seabirds:

When Balloons Fly, Seabirds Die | Zoos Victoria

Last edited: 22 Feb 2017
  2. Zoofan15

Taronga Zoo:

Researchers from Taronga Zoo and the University of NSW are looking for participants to take part in a new research project about visitor experiences at zoos:

Have your say in research project

Taronga Western Plains Zoo:

Taronga Western Plains Zoo are assisting in the conservation of the Great Barrier Reef by storing coral sperm samples in the frozen zoo in Dubbo:

Helping the reef

Adelaide Zoo:

Adelaide Zoo's sloth, Miss C, celebrates her 43rd birthday. Born at Adelaide Zoo in 1974, she is believed to be the oldest sloth in the world, having surpassed the usual captive lifespan of 25 to 30 years:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messe...3/news-story/3e6acc33dd37bfce4095be042b1e8081

Last edited: 23 Feb 2017
  3. Zoofan15

4. Zoofan15

Last edited: 3 Mar 2017
  5. Zoofan15

6. Zoofan15

7. Zoofan15

8. Zoofan15

Last edited: 17 Mar 2017
  9. Zoofan15

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm going to quote myself here from earlier in the thread, but change "orange-bellied parrot" to "corroboree frog".

"Just a point I'd like to make (again) on what makes one piece of press "minor" and what doesn't. An article on trying to prevent the extinction of a species (the corroboree frog above) is considered minor news or of minor interest?!"

:rolleyes:

jayjds2 likes this.
  11. Zoofan15

Yes, but what thread would it go in? It's Taronga Zoo's and Zoos Victoria's accomplishment. Didn't seem right to post it purely as Taronga's, even if they did announce it. I also doubted it'd lead to any discussion in the main thread, especially given the death of the last African elephant in the country and region this week (puts all news into perspective) so saw no harm in posting it in here.

If you want to move it to the main thread (plus or minus the article on African Wild Dog conservation I have also relegated to this thread) and start a discussion on it, feel free. I respect the decision of any moderator, including yourself, to move anything I post in here to another thread if it is for the purpose of generating a discussion.

12. Chlidonias

I really do think you are misunderstanding the remark made in the other thread about posts which don't lead to discussion versus something being minor news. The two things are not synonymous.

13. Zoofan15

Tbh I think all three could combine as a framework for what constitutes news versus minor news. Actual news should be information which is:

a) Interesting to the majority of people
    b) Likely to lead to ongoing or further discussion
    c) A notable achievement

Anything that fails to meet these three categories should really be considered minor news.

Personally I don't think the article on the frogs met category a) or b) based on people's discussions in the Australian forums but category c) was admittedly it's saving grace considering the large number released and their conservation status so yes, fair enough, I can see why you'd want to see it in the main forum.

14. Chlidonias

yes, but you are clearly deciding what you think to be the answer to a, b, and c. You are deciding that articles on efforts towards saving corroboree frogs or orange-bellied parrots from extinction is of no interest to the majority of people. You are deciding that said articles won't result in discussion. And you clearly, as you have said before, have little interest or knowledge in anything which isn't an ABC zoo animal, so you have no real basis for knowing whether something is a notable achievement. (Or, indeed, for the a and b categories).

Compared to those two particular articles Australia Zoo breeding a giraffe or Taronga importing chimps, for example, is of minor importance. The efforts for those frogs and parrots is directly aimed at preventing their total extinction. That's total - complete - no more left anywhere in the world. Giraffes and chimps - in fact most of the ABC zoo animals in Australia - are just show animals. Their presence, breeding, importation, whatever, has almost zero effect on any sort of conservation status.

MRJ likes this.
  15. Zoofan15

Yes, I am deciding what I post and where I post it. I’m not sure what could be suggested as an alternative?

I base my opinion on what is of interest to people via the discussion it generates. If nobody wants to discuss it, that’s a pretty clear indication it’s of little interest isn’t it? Posts I’ve made on birds, reptiles and amphibians have typically generated no replies whatsoever, in contrast to posts on megafauna which have generated a much higher response.

Like you say, an achievement is still an achievement, regardless of my interests and opinions and I have agreed to keep the minor news thread for the more trivial pieces of information and give more respect to birds, reptiles and amphibians.

Believe it or not, I have come across articles I have considered too minor for the minor news thread!

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do find that rationale also very puzzling. I - and probably a majority of viewers - would probably agree this news feature on corroboree frog as orange bellied parrots belongs in the regular zoo thread (of the relevant zoos').

17. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I would like to think that the following would not be considered minor news for relevant zoos:
    • News about threatened species, especially when involved in recovery programs.
    • New exhibits at a zoo.
    • New species at a zoo,
    • First births of a species in a zoo.
    • Birth of a difficult to breed species.
    • Birth of a species rarely seen in zoos.
    I'm sure others have things they would add to this list.

18. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I only read the aussie posts and a few others on this forum. i'm sick of opening this thread to constent bitching about whats "minor news'and whats major news". Sort it out.

19. Chlidonias

so, are you happy with the idea of news threads for specific zoos being used for little more than exotic ABC species and anything else about other non-mammalian life deemed uninteresting by one or two people to be shoved off in a dumping thread for all Australian zoos?

Heck, there are even stand-alone threads for a lot of the individual ABC species - chimps, giraffes, tigers - but anything else is so "minor" that it is dropped here.

That is the point I am making - or "bitching about" as you put it. Judging by the responses to my viewpoint ("likes" and actual comments) I'd say it is a well-received viewpoint. I think it is fairly obvious to most people what counts as fluff PR news - animals' birthdays, naming competitions, etc - and to just combine actual news from all over the country in one thread is, quite simply, stupid.

Riley, zooboy28 and MRJ like this.
  20. Zoofan15